Quantcast

Does anyone know the posts that lead to aircar being banned?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarJar

The reason I ask is because I just discovered about this banning, and although I could see how this could occur, he was kind of a friend. So I just wanted to see what lead up to this. And also get a clearer picture of what others see as too disruptive to the site.

Matt G.

Yes, and Holden too.

I suspect this thread won't be long for this world either, but...I'd have to guess that derailing numerous threads into an endless, back-and-forth "roadable airplane" argument would have had something to do with it, after numerous warnings to stop doing that. That's my observation anyway.

This is probably a better question to PM a moderator, and they'll answer however they see fit.

StarJar

Looks like last August. I thought he must have died or something, but if I was reading that thread, I probably would have had a clue.
I probably would have also had to see a shrink.
However, I must admit that Aircar was a walking encyclopedia of aeronautical knowledge.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
The reason I ask is because I just discovered about this banning, and although I could see how this could occur, he was kind of a friend. So I just wanted to see what lead up to this. And also get a clearer picture of what others see as too disruptive to the site.
I suspect it was the result of the constant bickering between Aircar and Holden (also banned).

autopilot

I did post a rather lengthy support for ross/aircar but it seems to have got lost in the ether. Suffice to say "I think this forum is the poorer without him""

Norman

HBA Supporter
Ross could be a bit too wordy and somehow everything drifted back to flying cars but he's a polite guy who does try to offer help relevant to whatever you asked about before going off on the guided tour through his mind and the eventual flying car recruitment attempt. I liked the man and was surprised when "banned" showed up under his name but didn't ask because my own status as a member of this group has also been threatened

Last edited:

autopilot

He does tend o wander & diverge and wander again, but his depth of knowledge and willingness to help are loss to all.
FYI Ross is still out there working tirelessly to further your cause and mine,

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd have to guess that derailing numerous threads into an endless, back-and-forth "roadable airplane" argument would have had something to do with it, after numerous warnings to stop doing that.
Yes.

Dana

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
He does tend o wander & diverge and wander again, but his depth of knowledge and willingness to help are loss to all.
FYI Ross is still out there working tirelessly to further your cause and mine,
Does he frequent any other forums that we might join to interact with him? I'm willing to quickly scan through his passionate posts regarding roadable aircraft because there is much to learn from the man.

JamesG

Ross could be a bit too wordy and somehow everything drifted back to flying cars but he's a polite guy who does try to offer help relevant to whatever you asked about before going off on the guided tour through his mind and the eventual flying car recruitment attempt. I liked the man and was surprised when "banned" showed up under his name but didn't ask because my own status as a member of this group has also been threatened
Yeah, I tend the glaze over when people start talking about flying cars and their personal theories about this or that (just like in real life LOL). And I definitely don't pay attention to the verbal/emotional fisticuffs people get into. So this was a bit of surprise.

I hope he comes back too. Every group/forum needs its cracked pots. :)

SVSUSteve

Same here. Even though he and I had some really staunch disagreements over the whole flying car thing, he was a very good resource. Like Norman said, he had a habit of tying everything into that pipe dream of his but then again, I am guilty of similar behavior when it comes to safety. LOL

oriol

Although I can understand the moderators decision, I also miss Aircar a lot.

His life was an example of a total aero enthusiast and homebuilder. He always had something worth to say when discussing any unusual idea or configuration.

I hope we heard anytime soon about his latest invention through the mass media!:)

Oriol

Last edited:

Head in the clouds

Aircar has been a friend of mine for thirty years. He does ramble on but that's just how his brain works, in my opinion his knowledge and retention of it is not only encyclopedic, but his powers of reasoning are frequently genius. He isn't always easy to follow because he thrives on keeping back part of the story. He doesn't do that out of any intended meanness, he does it to stimulate others' thinking in the hope of generating further discussion and outcomes, rather than people just accepting his ideas as being definitive.

I asked a lot of questions of the mods and also of Aircar directly, regarding the reasons for his banning. As you might expect it was not as simple as his constant threadjacking toward discussion of his pet subject - that of aircars of course.

Aircar (Ross) was probably as surprised as anyone, he had previously received a week's ban for diverting discussions toward roadables having been previously asked to refrain from doing that, and, as one mod put it, when he returned a week later he came back swinging just as if nothing had been said.

Ross's version was that he understood he was to be careful to not bring all discussions around to the subject of roadable aircraft so he refrained from doing so. However, he had been in the middle of an occasionally heated discussion with Mark Moore, whose assertions didn't always line up with Ross's thinking, and because Mark felt that Ross's comments on his thread were off-topic the mods, or one mod, deemed that Ross was once again derailing discussions in his own favour.

It didn't help Ross's position that Mark Moore has worked at NASA for 30yrs, (but then so have some completely loopy people that I know - though I'm not suggesting that Mark is one of them, just that NASA is a huge organisation that employs all sorts) and some felt that gave Mark some form of credibility that Ross wasn't accorded perhaps, and that Mark should be treated with more respect.

Well - I've never known Ross to treat anyone with anything other than complete and absolute respect though his forthright honesty is occasionally too blunt for some.

It's notable that having received such cossetting and protection from the more 'delinquent' elements in HBA, Mark hasn't since found anyone of sufficient mental perspicacity to spar with, and so hasn't had anything to contribute to HBA since last July. Hence we lost two fine minds in a single blow. Actually we lost quite a few others, some who left in protest at Ross's permanent ban, and others who, like Mark, found Ross's posts both contentious and irresistible, and his absence left them with little or nothing of interest to discuss.

We are all the poorer, and I would like to think that the mods might give some thought to reversing the decision, I know that Ross never intended to cause any upset and we certainly need the benefit of minds and experience like his. The list of his personal friends and former employers reads like a Who's Who of the upper echelons of the aviation world. For those who aren't aware it was his friendship with Molt Taylor that first stirred his thoughts about roadable aircraft, and his time with Dick Schreder, and Burt Rutan at Scaled, that gave him his comprehensive knowledge of composites.

Also - Ross virtually lived for the discussions he had with so many of us on HBA, and is a lonelier soul these days for lack of them. He's not very computer literate and suffers constant problems when trying to play with email but he loves to chat on the phone. Given that Skype costs next to nothing, if anyone here would like to get in contact I'm sure Ross would be delighted, just be sure to have a couple of hours free when you give him a call, and a few more hours to come to terms with the concepts his conversations always provoke in your thinking afterwards. PM me if you like and I'll check with Ross that I can pass on his phone number, his time zone is UTC+11 this time of year, UTC+10 in southern hemi winter.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I would like to see the ban reversed.
Yes, he was warned several times about forum code of conduct apparently. I didn't see these conduct violations.
Banning the most knowledgable forum member doesn't help, in my opinion.

Apparently some complained. Can't they just ignore his content?

Autodidact

I often felt bad when I would see one of Aircar's posts; not because he bothered me in any way (I think he's actually a pretty nice guy), but because I felt bad about not reading his posts because they were these enormous monolithic entities that I didn't always have the energy to go through. Occsasionally I would gut up and wade into one and it was clear the he had an impressive mind and an impressive amount of knowledge to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.