Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Aerowerx

Hmmm.

Just curious. How do the Flat Earthers explain the shape of the moon in different phases? If the moon is round, then why not the Earth?

narfi

Unfortunately not. Many of them are clearly unwell.

I’m part of a physics forum and they often come in asking questions that indicate they have mental health issues. Seeing “auras”, hearing voices, hallucinations, etc. Wanting to know if the new 5G phones are being used to control their minds, etc.

They come in with the impression that these are not mental illnesses but somehow are “powers”. They believe they are superior and that everyone else is just too stupid to comprehend them. So they show up at physics and other places they perceive to be filled with intelligent people, and expect everyone to recognize their “superiority”.

Honestly it makes a lot of scientific forums very unpleasant because there can often be weeks between valid scientific posts, with the remainder of posts being about mystical hallucinations, mind control, weather control, etc.

This has only gotten worse as the history channel started airing Aliens and conspiracy theories.
There are outliers (outlayers?) as even mentioned since your post, however, as a general rule of thumb, I believe you are being trolled.
If it weren't for the serious effects it has on those mentioned outliers, it is actually a good topic to troll with as people are less likely to be hurt than with political or religious issues, and it can be fun to have 'intellectual' arguments from time to time even if you are playing the devil's advocate.

I watched a single episode of Ancient Aliens or whatever that show is called.... not sure if it is how all of them are, but was kind of interesting/funny/disturbing....
He spent the entire episode laying out an argument for intelligent design (the basis behind Christian as well as many other religious belief systems), then ends with "but because there can not be a God, it was Aliens".................. No argument for why there could not be a God, or why it was Aliens, just that its obviously intelligent design and he chooses Aliens as the answer.

I don't think I have seen any shows on the history channel in recent years that wasn't designed for 8yr olds addicted to annoying youtube repetition without any meat.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Hmmm.

Just curious. How do the Flat Earthers explain the shape of the moon in different phases? If the moon is round, then why not the Earth?
Easy, obviously by the look of it, the Moon is a large glowing flat round disc in the sky... except when it’s a flat crescent.

Of course, there are those that would try to tell you it’s not really a crescent shaped plate, but is really a round plate in the shadow of the Earth’s flat disk, but we know better!

Aerowerx

Easy, obviously by the look of it, the Moon is a large glowing flat round disc in the sky... except when it’s a flat crescent.

Of course, there are those that would try to tell you it’s not really a crescent shaped plate, but is really a round plate in the shadow of the Earth’s flat disk, but we know better!
Ok, but the geometry doesn't work out for that. And it looks different when there is a lunar eclipse, compared to the monthly cycle.

When talking to those people I guess it is best to just say you have a root canal appointment and you are running late, then slowly slip away.o_O

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Ok, but the geometry doesn't work out for that. And it looks different when there is a lunar eclipse, compared to the monthly cycle.

When talking to those people I guess it is best to just say you have a root canal appointment and you are running late, then slowly slip away.o_O
Sorry, I should have included a tongue-in-cheek emoji.

By the way, the root canal only works 32 times.

wktaylor

Wondering about the recovery chute design... survival was ultimately dependent on the recovery chute operating 'perfectly'.

Hmmm. WHY wasn't a BRS or similar ballistic deployed chute 'professionally designed/installed/configured for the 'flight'? I suspect that a BRS would never participate in this... but that a 'used system was probably available. The 'pilot could have manually activated it... or had back-up ground observer remotely activate it at the ballistic peek IF pilot was unable... or obviously too slow to do so.

However when the chute deployed prematurely it grossly altered the intended high(er) altitude ballistic arc into a much shallower/lower/rolling/higher-energy ballistic arc. Makes me speculate that the chute cover or the chute itself also damaged the stabilizers as 'hell broke loose'.

NOTE.
The original 'shot' as intended would likely have had a 'low energy ballistic peek' that would have relatively light forces for a deploying chute.

At the altered ballistic arc it appears the vehicle developed/maintained a much higher airspeed that would have imposed greater forces on the pilot/chute... if everything had remained intact and otherwise operable. Also if the vehicle was 'rolling'.... uhhhhgggg.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Wondering about the recovery chute design... survival was ultimately dependent on the recovery chute operating 'perfectly'.
i don’t think he had the deployment “perfected“ yet. Look at this photo from his earlier flight... looks like some blown panels and broken lines, and that was on his good day.

AC7EBF54-26BA-4A88-8228-94B642381438.png

Hephaestus

According to mediat stairs had just been installed for ease of access/egress. And they made contact on launch and ripped the parachute off.

Interesting they mention he wasn't in the wreckage, but nearby, wonder if he had a chute for himself?

radfordc

According to mediat stairs had just been installed for ease of access/egress. And they made contact on launch and ripped the parachute off.

Interesting they mention he wasn't in the wreckage, but nearby, wonder if he had a chute for himself?
Leaving a set of metal stairs near the rocket during launch seems like a problem waiting to happen. Surprised no one looked at it and said, "hey, wait a minute". Likely the body was ejected from the rocket upon impact.

wktaylor

Lesson learned by professional missilemen decades ago. Everything that could interfere with the vehicle, or rebound toward the vehicle, has to be forcibly/permanently pulled-faraway from the vehicle seconds before lift-off commit. The failure to secure the ladder could likely be the evidence of an ill-trained/prepared support crew.

bmcj… concur... the recovery parachute was not appropriate/perfected for the payload/flight environment... and was obviously very close to failure in that earlier flight. He dodged the bullet then... lesson was not learned.

Wanttaja

What's ironic is that the term "Rocket Science" is a metaphor for tasks that are extremely complex and require a lot of brain power.

In my ~40 years in the space industry (almost all unmanned vehicles), we did take some short cuts...but never left ourselves with a single point of failure.

Ron Wanttaja

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
It must be shocking to see the industry being dominated by an amateur who had to design his rockets himself because nobody would go work from him.

Sure would be nice if that happened in General Aviation.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Leaving a set of metal stairs near the rocket during launch seems like a problem waiting to happen. Surprised no one looked at it and said, "hey, wait a minute". Likely the body was ejected from the rocket upon impact.
The ground crew didn’t notice because they were busy fulfilling their primary duty of “Here, hold my beer”.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
What's ironic is that the term "Rocket Science" is a metaphor for tasks that are extremely complex and require a lot of brain power.
Ron Wanttaja
It always seamed to me that the term "Rocket Science" was a subtle insult. Rocket science is just F=ma.
It is not nearly as difficult as trying to explain how wings create lift or proving that the earth is round. :):):):pilot:

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
As far as his remains being found a distance from the impact, the rear was a huge tank and the front was flimsy. It probably was compressed on impact by the tank behind it, then snapped like a bent branch...creating a fairly strong sideways force on impact.