Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

AdrianS

Although it's not really very easy to tell an F-104 or SR-71 pilot that their airplane is easier to fly and that they don't have the cajones to fly a real airplane.

So I would fall back and say "well, some of us are so good we only need one wheel in the center..." and hope we can get away with it!
I would say that it is very easy to tell an F-104 / SR-71 pilot that.

Getting to finish your drink afterwards is the hard bit.

lr27

A friend (with both conventional and tricycle gear airplanes) will only buy a car with a manual transmission, because he “likes to operate the machinery”. But he is quite happy not to need to choke / prime the engine or manually adjust the ignition timing.

BJC
With an automatic, you're not really in control and can only make suggestions.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Oh man, I feel bad watching that. He basically just suicided himself.

I thought maybe someone would be able to talk him out of it, but he was clearly very mentally unwell.

And the sad thing is that the other flat earthers are just as unwell and will learn absolutely nothing from his death.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
And the sad thing is that the other flat earthers are just as unwell and will learn absolutely nothing from his death.
Sad to see anyone die, but you don’t think he really believed the Earth is flat, do you. For him (and probably 99% of flat-Earther’s) their belief is nothing more than a publicity act to draw the limelight set themselves off as different or radical.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Sad to see anyone die, but you don’t think he really believed the Earth is flat, do you. For him (and probably 99% of flat-Earther’s) their belief is nothing more than a publicity act to draw the limelight set themselves off as different or radical.
I sit here and wonder what madness possesses a person to do such a thing......and I realize that most people that are around me wonder the same thing about me......

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Unfortunately not. Many of them are clearly unwell.

I’m part of a physics forum and they often come in asking questions that indicate they have mental health issues. Seeing “auras”, hearing voices, hallucinations, etc. Wanting to know if the new 5G phones are being used to control their minds, etc.

They come in with the impression that these are not mental illnesses but somehow are “powers”. They believe they are superior and that everyone else is just too stupid to comprehend them. So they show up at physics and other places they perceive to be filled with intelligent people, and expect everyone to recognize their “superiority”.

Honestly it makes a lot of scientific forums very unpleasant because there can often be weeks between valid scientific posts, with the remainder of posts being about mystical hallucinations, mind control, weather control, etc.

This has only gotten worse as the history channel started airing Aliens and conspiracy theories.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Looked like his chute deployed 50 after liftoff.
Rockets are high risk, he knew the risk.
Otto Lilienthal's last words were, "sacrifices must be made".

BJC

HBA Supporter
.. they have mental health issues. Seeing “auras”, hearing voices, hallucinations, etc. Wanting to know if the new 5G phones are being used to control their minds, etc. ... They believe they are superior and that everyone else is just too stupid to comprehend them. So they show up at physics and other places they perceive to be filled with intelligent people, and expect everyone to recognize their “superiority”.
Aren’t we to avoid political discussions?

BJC

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Not much difference between regular test pilots and daredevil test pilots. They don't want to be the sacrifice, but many have.
Best to just not send kids and school teachers up in rockets or high risk homebuilts. But old guys can choose between getting fatter living in bed watching TV or building a rocket....

Last edited:

Deuelly

Log Member
As I've said before in another thread. A test pilots job is to proof out data and calculations that say something should work and why. A daredevils job is to prove something can be done even though there's no proof. I mean come on, the term literally means taking on a dare by the Devil.

Brandon

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I think that there is a big difference between daredevil test pilots and today’s professional test pilots.

BJC
I said regular test pilot, as in amateur, as this guy was. He didn't wish to die is my opinion. But even pros can make fatal mistakes such as the Scaled pilot that pulled the feather knob on launch.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Obviously, a sad end for this guy. If there's a silver lining: a steam rocket is a very dangerous thing that inherently has several means to kill a "pilot" in excruciatingly painful ways. If Mike's end was going to happen in this rocket, this is about as peaceful as it could be.