Quantcast

The Ranger, an easily built high wing LSA runabout

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

Jeez, man, that's really looking good.

If you are feeling like you're getting pretty close to freezing the design at this stage, I'd recommend that you look at moving the rear strut attach aft, and use that to allow a rearwarrd wing fold method. You're going to want to have some method of doing it, so you may as well try all of them on the computer before you make any final decision.

Also, I have a question about the loads imparted on the cabane struts if you pull one wingtip rearward. It seems to me that there's not much stiffness against a siide to side movement of the upper cabane attach at the wing root rib. I can see that the top of the wood fuselage behind the seat is a nice torsion box, but that's a long ways away from the wing center of mass. If you have two guys on the wingtips,a nd one of them pushes forward while the other guy pulls rearward, where is the resistance against that movement?

Dillpickle

The Ranger is, essentially, the front half of the CE with a tail boom in the back. And the original CE was aluminum. I think this pod and boom layout would work great in aluminum."

I think you had me at this "hello!" Man is this a cute concept. Pod and boom, and in aluminum, which is a little friendlier to tying down outside for a flying season before folding the wings and taking it home for the winter. The cost of hangar is significant. I've got a PILE of aluminum sheet and angle and would dive head first into this...

rtfm

I'm waiting for new stock to arrive, and when it does, I will order my Lowrider CNC router bits and pieces. That's going to be awesome. So a wooden tail looks extremely likely for me. And a lot cheaper, too...

Duncan

FritzW

Log Member
Re: "full span ailerons?" The idea is that the Ranger can use any of the Mini/HiMax type wings or the knock offs like the Legal Eagle or the QBWW. Flaperons longer than 50% of the span would be a good idea if someone was looking at part 103

Re: "Empty weight?" Hopefully under 254 lbs. but that's going to be a challenge.

Reactions: BJC

FritzW

Log Member
...It seems to me that there's not much stiffness against a siide to side movement of the upper cabane attach at the wing root rib.
They're just like every other set of cabane struts that aren't V's or N's. They have a set of crossed cables that keep them from racking.

...where is the resistance against that movement?
There are several things preventing the wing from twisting on the wing pylon. Twisting strain on the pylon would be reacted as tension on the cabane cables AND torque on the leading edge "D" sections. Even without the cabanes the pylon can't twist on it's axis unless the D sections twist on theirs.

EDIT: keep in mind there's virtually no vertical load at the root attach fittings

Last edited:

antoniv

I'm very interested in wood tail Ranger.
I am willing to participate in the development.
In my wood workshop I can start building parts right now.
Is it possible to participate in the development of the drawings?

rtfm

Wow, Fritz. It seems that while the CF/AL boom concept was attractive, the wooden tail section really has won more friends. Nicely done!

Duncan

Victor Bravo

The real point of all this IMHO is that there is a CNC panel router with reasonable accuracy and material capacity within a two hour drive from the majority of us watching this thread. Not all of us of course, but most of us. So a fairly large number of us can take the open source files and have parts cut, whether that is in our own grage or whether that has to be done at a vendor.

rtfm

Just to add my 2c to the CNC router debate:
There is no reason to compromise with the Maslow CNC. I've discovered the "Lowrider" which is accurate, inexpensive and easy to build. Comes with great software and drivers, and there is free shipping within the US.
https://www.v1engineering.com/lowrider-cnc/

Most of the parts are produced on a 3D printer (available from their shop for about $65 or you can print your own).

This really addresses the quality/cost issue facing people like us (the entire thing costs less than $500), and provides full 8x4 functionality. Mine is already on order - just waiting for new stock to arrive.

Duncan

FritzW

Log Member
Sorry Duncan, If I had been paying closer attention I could have printed some of the parts for you (there's still too much Waiex drama in my life). I may have to print out an LR2 set for myself and build a machine for the hangar.

EDIT: I just ordered a fresh spool of PLA so I can print one out.
71Zvt9VlM9L._SL1500_.jpg...and yellow obviously makes better CNC machines

Last edited: