Quantcast

The Ranger, an easily built high wing LSA runabout

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

Fritz I'll stick my neck out here where it wasn't invited, and offer an idea. If you find the time to finish the Ranger design and prototype, and you find the time to design the wood parts, and the cut files for the parts... you can use it as a fundraiser for the food pantry or community program at your church .

I know you don't want to be in the kit business, but think of this - Anyone who makes a hundred dollar charitable donation to the food pantry gets a set of Ranger cut files as a thank you gift, just like the little trinkets and videos PBS and other charity organizations send out to their donors.

When the food pantry gets the donation, they send John Q Public a password or an access code to download one licensed copy of the cut files and instructions.

You get to do something really important for your church, and something valuable for homebuilt aviation. The food pantry gets funding to keep going. John Q gets a set of cut files, and license to access to the Ranger discussion forum on the internet (lie the Van's builders, Zenith builders, etc). Anyone who has made an illegal or unapproved copy of the cut files does not get access to the internet forum (just like the Zenair forum), where much of the support, assistance, and experience is.

So you are not in the money-making airplane kit business, you bear no liability, and you're not the tech support phone line.

OR, you can license the Ranger to our friend Addicted2Climbing, who does want to be in the airplane kit business, makes and sells the kits, buys a liability isurance policy, and pays a royalty for the license to the food pantry for every kit he sells.

Either way the food pantry is supported, you've accomplished something even more cool and worthwhile than just an open source airplane, and a certain big Yeti in Switzerland can build a neat little airplane :)

FritzW

Log Member
Ranger plans?
The "plans" are just a CAD model (far more useful than traditional paper plans IF you know how to use them).

>>>>>

If you find the time to finish the Ranger design and prototype, and you find the time to design the wood parts, and the cut files for the parts...
The CAD model and cutting files are done (done enough to build the airplane) even the STL files to print and/or CNC parts like the rudder tube bushings. ...that's what I used to build what I've got built so far.

The only problem with the Ranger is: 2020 turned out to be a hectic year with lots of things that take higher priority.

dino

HBA Supporter
Or locate kit manufacturing south of the border so ambulance chasers have the wall to climb to get their money.

Doran Jaffas

Fritz I'll stick my neck out here where it wasn't invited, and offer an idea. If you find the time to finish the Ranger design and prototype, and you find the time to design the wood parts, and the cut files for the parts... you can use it as a fundraiser for the food pantry or community program at your church .

I know you don't want to be in the kit business, but think of this - Anyone who makes a hundred dollar charitable donation to the food pantry gets a set of Ranger cut files as a thank you gift, just like the little trinkets and videos PBS and other charity organizations send out to their donors.

When the food pantry gets the donation, they send John Q Public a password or an access code to download one licensed copy of the cut files and instructions.

You get to do something really important for your church, and something valuable for homebuilt aviation. The food pantry gets funding to keep going. John Q gets a set of cut files, and license to access to the Ranger discussion forum on the internet (lie the Van's builders, Zenith builders, etc). Anyone who has made an illegal or unapproved copy of the cut files does not get access to the internet forum (just like the Zenair forum), where much of the support, assistance, and experience is.

So you are not in the money-making airplane kit business, you bear no liability, and you're not the tech support phone line.

OR, you can license the Ranger to our friend Addicted2Climbing, who does want to be in the airplane kit business, makes and sells the kits, buys a liability isurance policy, and pays a royalty for the license to the food pantry for every kit he sells.

Either way the food pantry is supported, you've accomplished something even more cool and worthwhile than just an open source airplane, and a certain big Yeti in Switzerland can build a neat little airplane :)
When my knowing what he wants for the licensing rights myself. Be retiring in a few years and plan to get my A&P and I wouldn't mind being in the kit business. Or at least the plans selling business after I build one.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
The "plans" are just a CAD model (far more useful than traditional paper plans IF you know how to use them).

>>>>>

The CAD model and cutting files are done (done enough to build the airplane) even the STL files to print and/or CNC parts like the rudder tube bushings. ...that's what I used to build what I've got built so far.

The only problem with the Ranger is: 2020 turned out to be a hectic year with lots of things that take higher priority.
Hello Fritz,

I am about to build a CNC router with a tool changer spindle to begin to kit the Skylite and also for other general aviation related building. Also have a Tormach Series 3 PCNC1100 and a 600mm x 900mm 100W Laser. If when you have the plans done and want to offer sub kits or have somewhere to tell people where to get prefab parts I am open to being that guy. The Router will ether be 5' x 12' or 5' x 15' and I am still deciding. Also hoping to have the rotary tube cutter set up as well, but that is lesser priority. For your Ranger and other designs would 5' x 12' be big enough to cut the largest piece or would I need the 15'?

Just a thought....