The Ranger, an easily built high wing LSA runabout

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Victor Bravo, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Feb 19, 2019 #1

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

This thread is intended to be a place for discussion, details, and design renderings specifically focused on FritzW's neat little concept for the Ranger. This is intended as a a spin-off from Erkki67's thread (for re-inventing or re-designing the Affordaplane concept to reflect more traditional design and structural practices, and creating an aircraft suitable for larger/heavier pilots).

The Ranger concept has generated a large amount of interest, primarily because of Frtiz' beautiful renderings and innovative construction techniques. It seems to have resonated with a large number of HBA participants. So the focus of this thread is on that layout and aerodynamic concept that thas emerged from the re-invented Affordaplane thread.

With all sincere respect for everyone involved, this thread is not intended to introduce different layouts, pusher vs. tractor discussion, two-place versions, or enclosed cabin versions. Those discussions should be entertained on OTHER threads that are not focused on the Ranger. The discussions on how best to re-design or update the Affordaplane itself should (in my opinion) take place on that original thread.

Discussions about whether the Ranger should be wood or metal, or whether it should or should not meet Part 103, what type of landing gear, etc. are fair game for this thread.

Discussions about whether it should be a canard, or a biplane, are not for this thread IMHO.

With permission and participation from Fritz, Erkki67, the HBA moderators, and the active participants on the previous A-plane thread, my hope is that a thread dedicated specifically and only to the Ranger will help move this really promising design forward to the point where the design can more or less become real.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    FritzW likes this.
  2. Feb 19, 2019 #2

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

Fritz, what are the plywood qualities you are calculating with, Gabon nautical plywood or birch plywood, and if one of those, which thicknesses and sizes are you using?

3. Feb 19, 2019 #3

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

And second, is there any space available to install the controls on the tail-boom instead of in?

4. Feb 19, 2019 #4

BJC

BJC

BJC

5. Feb 19, 2019 #5

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

Sheetmetal versus Wood and some aluminium.

6. Feb 19, 2019 #6

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

FritzW, BoKu and fly2kads like this.
  7. Feb 19, 2019 #7

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Good idea VB, thanks.

A quick re-cap since it's a new thread... (there's lot's more info on the idea starting on page 6 of the A-Plane thread)

1455266969BBIR.jpg CE5 wood Ctf 1.jpg The Ranger is a mixture of Hovey's Beta Bird and an idea I have for a part 103 fun flyer called the CE.

Ranger 10%.jpg Ranger tube3 gear.jpg Here's where it's at as of this morning, only about 10% done. But in fairness to me the idea is only 11 days old.

...hopefully I'll get a chance to work on it tonight.

Tiger Tim likes this.
  8. Feb 19, 2019 #8

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    Is a folding wing a part of the plan?

9. Feb 19, 2019 #9

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

What diameter are we looking at for that tube, Fritz? And do you have an MAC in mind??

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  10. Feb 20, 2019 #10

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

So at the current rate, then...

*Carefully marks May 29th on the calendar*

Topaz likes this.
  11. Feb 20, 2019 #11

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

CDD3345B-6712-4953-83F5-6DDC91DD6997.jpeg

****, I want to have both!!!

Fritz, you really don’t make life easy. :gig: :ban:

6E10BB13-1900-4110-802B-0CB8BA90510A.jpeg

12. Feb 20, 2019 #12

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

This is what I understand under the therm of aviation and freedom.

13. Feb 20, 2019 #13

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

erkki67, let's just get you in the air first with one of them, and then with Fritz' help we can find a way to go from "satisfaction" to "gluttony" by providing you with two airplanes :)

Fritz, have you determined whether it will be possible for the Ranger to meet Part 103 and still have enough structural reserve for erkki67 (or you and me) to fly safely in turbulent mountain air? I'm guessing that's a tall order, especially with the Briggs engine on the renderings.

14. Feb 20, 2019 #14

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Per the questions:

So far all the ply is 1/8" and 1/16" Birch (or Mahogany) a/c ply. The elevator push/pull tube will go through the boom, the rudder cables will go on the outside go the tube and it'll be wood instead of sheet metal.

The wings will fold, probably using the Air Bike folding wing plans

The boom is 4" x .049 6061 T6 (right off the Beta Bird plans). The MAC is 50"

Ranger Gear-Strut Mount4  1.jpg Ranger Gear-Strut Mount4  3.jpg Ranger Gear-Strut Mount4  2.jpg ...the latest idea (not set in stone) for gear/strut attach. It'd be light weight and very easy to make. A heavy duty rod end bearing with Carlson struts like the Ultra Pup. The gear could be 7075 or CF. I sent Grove an RFQ using their neat little form. ...I hate to think what the quote is going to be.

The two obvious questions: What about the plates buckling in compression (negative G)? And what happens if you tear the gear off?

Neither plate has room to fail in buckling. The bend in the top plate backs up against the lower longeron and the bottom plate against the flat surface on the gear. The plates can't "rack" because they're clamped to the flats on the ball in the rod end bearing.

And, ...lot's of airplanes rely on the landing gear to secure the wings, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

mini-max-1100R.jpg Flybaby.jpg ryan.jpg

15. Feb 20, 2019 #15

lr27

lr27

lr27

If going for part 103, it might be possible to shave off a bit of weight by making a tapered boom. Also, perhaps, of a less dense material? I'll admit I haven't worked out the numbers, but unless you were to put in some sort of stringers, hoops, etc. my guess is that the tube would fail in buckling. Some amateur boat builders have been making tapered, hollow masts from staves of wood. It seems common enough that maybe it's not too hard to do. All the pieces are identical.

I figured out that the tube would weigh something like 3/4 lbs/ft, but that might add up on a part 103 ultralight. It would of course be nifty to have one long component to attach everything to.

16. Feb 20, 2019 #16

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Part 103 is going to be tough but it's going to be hell for stout. ;)

17. Feb 20, 2019 #17

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

Im looking for 3mm and 1,6mm Birchplywood!

18. Feb 20, 2019 #18

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

The sticks in Spruce, what dimensions or sections do they have!

19. Feb 20, 2019 #19

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

Found 5x5' sheets

20. Feb 20, 2019 #20

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Erkki, before you purchase anything I would suggest that you wait until the design is done and ready, because I believe Fritz is designing this with "tab and slot" construction for the parts to fit together easily.

If I am correct, this means the parts will need to be cut on a CNC machine. Unless Fritz wishes to send you the final CNC cutting digital files, the plywood pieces will likely need to be cut here on Fritz' CNC mahcine.

I do not know what his plans are for the cutting files, and I cannot speak for him, but my point is that you should have a complete understanding of how he wants to proceed before you purchase any wood or materials.