Quantcast

The Ranger, an easily built high wing LSA runabout

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

ScaleBirdsScott

I take offense at your calling New Zealand the "ends of the earth". How rude... :)

Duncan
When I started out I was thinking more from the perspective of someone in your corner of the world needing to go to the other side of the globe for a decent stick of 6061. But to be fair, I guess if anything, New Australia-Land is more the Middle [of the] Earth as far as most people at this end are concerned.

WBNH

Time for someone to build a pair of standard airfoil wing tips for the Ranger, make molds and make them available to the Ranger community?
Assuming these are still essentially the MiniMax wings* (I thought that's the pattern Fritz was following), Team sells FG Rounded or Drooped tips for under 300 bucks.

https://www.teammini-max.com/online-store/fiberglass-parts/miscellaneous-fiberglass-parts/

Maybe George Sychrovsky is still offering his composite parts for the Max series as well?

http://the-grand-design.com/sale.html

*My apologies if I'm off base and I missed the post that indicated the Ranger wing had gone off to a totally new design. I was under the impression it was to use the Quick Build Wood Wing which I thought was intended to be a HiMax, Airbike, Legal Eagle equivalent replacement--though perhaps this time with foam ribs. If the airfoil hasn't changed, the existing Max tips may still work.

Last edited:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
The 4"x.049 boom is right off the 640 pound, 6G, GW Hovey Beta Bird.

What size was the tail boom on Hall's IBEX? It looks like it was about twice as long as the one the Ranger. The empty weight of the IBEX is 30 pounds more than the Ranger's max GW. The IBEX had a full flying V tail that caused the flutter problem. He shortened the V tail and moved the counter weights to fix the flutter problem but kept the same tail boom.

...but this is the internet, so comparing apples to oranges to make an invalid point is totally okay.
I couldn't find much about the Beta Bird. Found this that said 4g http://www.ultraligero.net/aviones/modelos/beta_bird.htm
Boom looks about 8 feet. So it might work if your boom is just 8 feet. I meant my test at 10-12 feet didn't impress me.
I would caution against assuming Hovey tested every part, however. Again, just opinion.

FritzW

Log Member
I couldn't find much about the Beta Bird. Found this that said 4g http://www.ultraligero.net/aviones/modelos/beta_bird.htm
Boom looks about 8 feet. So it might work if your boom is just 8 feet. I meant my test at 10-12 feet didn't impress me.
I would caution against assuming Hovey tested every part, however. Again, just opinion.
Yeah, it might work, thank you for your exhaustive research :whistle:

Well, I don't know what to tell you. Page one of the Beta Bird plans says it was designed to 6 G ultimate load. And Beta Birds have been flying for 40 years without a single reported problem with the boom. Whatever Hovey did with the boom he did right.

rtfm

Team sells FG Rounded or Drooped tips for under 300 bucks.

https://www.teammini-max.com/online-store/fiberglass-parts/miscellaneous-fiberglass-parts/

Maybe George Sychrovsky is still offering his composite parts for the Max series as well?

http://the-grand-design.com/sale.htmlQUOTE]

Hi,
There is no plan to change the wing airfoil - this was just me thinking aloud again, and presenting some alternatives. In fact, I hadn't thought of either TEAM's wing tips or of those manufactured by George. Of course, both would be ideal, since the Ranger uses the same wing.

Come to think of it, I had completely forgotten about these two sources.

Duncan

FritzW

Log Member
Ahhh, ...the 'ol Flite Streak. I've got fond memories of that one.

But swoopy wing tips with old school tail feathers? Isn't that a fashion faux pas?

Victor Bravo

I meant the construction method, one plywood outline and a half dozen plywood triangles of various sizes. Total cost about three or five dollars worth of wood, which could be cleverly laid out into the wasted spaces between other parts on the printwood... I mean die-cut... I mean laser-cut... I mean CNC router-cut sheets.

The outline shape is up to the designer :)

rtfm

Hi guys,
No activity to report?

I have made some inquiries regarding the CF boom from New Zealand. Yes, can deliver. For a 3600mm boom, I need to buy 4000mm length. I was thinking of their 103mm diameter, 2mm wall thickness. Would this be the way to go?

I have also priced out the wheels (nice big tundra type), the instruments, the extra sheet of 3mm plywood, the additional Hoop Pine I require, and the blue DOW foam, and I've found a suitable seat to dismantle and fix to the Ranger.

An expense I had not counted on is getting my Big Twin engine looked at. I bought it six or seven years ago, and it suffered some water damage when stored in a leaking container some time back. So I'd like it opened up and checked over.

Regards,
Duncan

rtfm

Oh, another thing...
The tail feathers for the Aeromax are hanging on my shop wall. But they look very big. Fritz - any chance of a drawing of the tail feathers so I can check sizes?

Cheers,
Duncan

FritzW

Log Member
It'll probably be Tuesday before I can sit down and do some real drawing. It's been a crazy week, we had a major fuel leak on the Waiex that was pretty exciting. ...I got to test the new fancy canopy latch lol

EDIT: I do have some sketches of the tail feathers, I just need to size the tubing and gussets.

Victor Bravo

Fritz, are your EAA guys assisting with running the Ranger structural loads and stresses the old school way, or are you letting SolidWorks do it in FEA mode, or are you doing it the old-school way yourself (because we were not aware of ALL your hidden talents and education)?

Like everyone else, I'm interested in this airplane too, even the wood version.

Blackhawk

Hi FritzW

Great to see you using my compression tailwheel design on the Ranger, the plane is looking good.

Graeme

erkki67

Tonight I was sitting the first time in my lawn chair, without any padding I had about 80mm of air to spare, 3,25”.
Legroom might be an issue, pictures will follow by tomorrow.