Mike makes parts

Discussion in 'Tube and Fabric' started by Little Scrapper, Feb 21, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 24, 2019 #121

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I think we inspire each other. I see your projects and what you do as well as Pops, Don and the others. plus i love seeing what others have done and how they did it.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  2. Mar 25, 2019 #122

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Video 8 is uploaded.

This will be my last video for awhile. There's approximately 700 + pieces to cut, shape, clean, mark and prepare. I'm gonna unplug and get all of them done then do a wrap up video of what I accomplished. This will take some time and the internet will just get in the way.

What started as a little wing to hang up has somehow morphed into to a complete set of ribs for the entire Smith Biplane. I still haven't picked an airplane to build so I'm just kinda gonna go with it until I do . ImI having fun so what heck.

Regardless, here's tonight's video. In this video I show all the cut strips I made for gussets. I go over various ways to cut them up and pick one of the methods to do my own cutting and explain why I choose it over the others.

3. Mar 26, 2019 #123

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

A non-aviation friend of mine watched my videos and suggested I spice up the videos with some editing and his son could show me how. My gut feeling says no, just keep doing the same thing.

The basic idea is a no frills video with no wasted time. I personally hate videos where half of the video is about nothing, basically fluff, so I just dive right in and get to it. Maybe that's a mistake? Should I have him over and learn some editing tricks?

I personally like the raw unedited type of video because itsi real and .obco obvio quick for me to deal with.

Anyhow, thoughts appreciated. If I can improve them I certainly can try.

4. Mar 26, 2019 #124

billyvray

billyvray

billyvray

Please no. I like the simple ones best. If you want to try to make Youtube money, go ahead. Learn some editing if you like (especially if it makes it easier or more concise) but I am tired of all the vids that now have a 20sec intro lead-in with techno beats, to 30 sec of him talking to the camera about what's going to happen.
    Yours are just fine in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  5. Mar 26, 2019 #125

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Haha, no, not interested in the youtube money. I want nothing to do with that garbage.

6. Mar 26, 2019 #126

don january

don january

don january

I'd say stick with what your doing other then maybe a head shot once in awhile for we can see that beer foam left on your mustache. :) and also a shot of you in that fancy hat on the work table.

Pops likes this.
  7. Mar 26, 2019 #127

BJC

BJC

BJC

For us aviation nuts, no frill is needed; however, if you want to attract a wider audience, especially youngsters, some editing might help.

I would send the son a copy and ask him to edit it for his friend. If it looks OK, I would ask him to edit all of the videos.

BJC

PS Consider airshow music. I prefer none at all, the youngsters love it. For GA to survive, we need the youngsters to get involved.

don january likes this.
  8. Mar 26, 2019 #128

billyvray

billyvray

billyvray

If you want to have the music from Locomotive Breath lightly dubbed into the background, I'm okay with that.

9. Mar 26, 2019 #129

wwalton

wwalton

wwalton

I love them as is, however, like BJC said the younger crowd have very different ideas about what is entertaining. Actually that may be the difference I’m on YouTube to learn and discover and my kids are there to be entertained sorta like watching a movie versus documentary?

10. Mar 27, 2019 #130

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

I agree. There are enough 'exciting' videos out there to get people in, yours are excellent for those who already have an interest and would like to learn more. My real hobby seems to be collecting dying hobbies, and IMO between the old farts who have done it all and the kids who want to be entertained lies a middle, nearly-untapped demographic of guys (and gals) in their 30s-40s-50s who have made it and finally are in a position in life to pursue those dreams. They have the means to actually accomplish things and the maturity to handle (and enjoy) large raw dumps of information. Someone needs to feed those guys in order to bridge the hobby to the kids or the whole thing falls apart.

11. Mar 27, 2019 #131

Tench745

Tench745

Tench745

Edited doesn't have to mean produced. Cuting together for content, for time, for understandability, etc is always a good idea that makes things more pleasant. Music, fades, wipes, fast cuts, hype, etc etc much less necessary.
    A short intro rarely goes amiss, but when people try updating the whole of their life before things get started, I skip ahead or turn it off.
    Nothing wrong with just making a tutorial that says what it has to say.

12. Mar 27, 2019 #132

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Decided to slowly improve my filming one video at a time, little tiny adjustments. I bought a new camera today and that in itself is a lot to learn but I feel it will be a big advantage.

I want to avoid anything unnecessary, very minimal frills regardless of what the kids may want. I believe content is King so staying on point from start to finish is the goal. I sincerely believe if the content is solid the youth will want it.

wwalton, Pops and Tiger Tim like this.
  13. Mar 31, 2019 #133

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

So far 420 gussets cut, smoothed out and ready for nails. About half way. Done for the week, I'm toast and my fingers are sore.

14. Mar 31, 2019 #134

Pops

Pops

Pops

Your videos are just right for me. To the point, good camera work and done with a great radio voice.

15. Apr 4, 2019 #135

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

All the gussets are 100% cut and ready.

IMG_20190403_075123_557.jpg

16. Apr 16, 2019 #136

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

All set to make ribs. Really looking forward to the relaxing experience of rib building, it's been too long and I miss it.

17. Apr 16, 2019 #137

Pops

Pops

Pops

I agree, building ribs is a relaxing experience. I have made ribs for a homebuilt that I was thinking of building and then changed my mind. Building the ribs is the first parts I make.
    If I'm not building something I feel lost.

18. Apr 16, 2019 #138

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I feel the exact same way. It's like going through withdrawal, I'm a better personp when I'm building parts even if it's for fun.

19. Apr 16, 2019 #139

Pops

Pops

Pops

When I finished the SSSC in 2007 it was a let down. What do I do now ? Now I get to fly it, but I still need something to build. Yep, just like going through withdrawal.

20. Apr 16, 2019 #140

TFF

TFF

TFF

There is no reason to build just one, or ten.