Mike makes parts

Discussion in 'Tube and Fabric' started by Little Scrapper, Feb 21, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 7, 2019 #181

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Here is an interesting way to gain a little more legroom. This Miniplane currently for sale on Barstormers has a sheet metal box on the lower firewall that the rudder pedals lean into when depressed. The rudder pedals are now mounted just aft of the firewall. That little bit of extra room could make a big difference.

Miniplane_firewall_mod_1.jpg Miniplane_firewall_mod_2.jpg Miniplane_firewall_mod_3.jpg

Little Scrapper and narfi like this.
  2. Jun 7, 2019 #182

TFF

TFF

TFF

I just added a 2” strap to the rudder cables on my Starduster one. It allowed the pedals to go forward. It really helped. The cramping was in my hips not knees. It’s completely different now. In the pictures above, the pedals have turnbuckles. That has become not preferred. Certified Pitts have an AD to change that. The hinging puts it in a bind in one direction and can break. Pitts get a lot of hours compared to most homebuilts so there is a potential problem doing it like that.

3. Jun 21, 2019 #183

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I haven't picked up a gas torch in a long time and that kinda bothered me.

I ordered a pulley the other day from Aircraft Spruce and it arrived yesterday. Instead of doing piles of paperwork I decided to go to my shop and build a control stick for a Baby Ace. Took me until 2:00 am but I got her done.

I forgot how much fun O/A is. I enjoy Tig but boy, I really enjoy the torch process. I'm out of practice but it went pretty well. Can't wait until the next time.

IMG_20190621_080917082.jpg

TerryM76 and cdlwingnut like this.