Mike makes parts

Discussion in 'Tube and Fabric' started by Little Scrapper, Feb 21, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 21, 2019 #1

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

If you've followed my last few posts here you'll know I'm searching for a project. Untill I find one or figure out what that is I'd still like to have fun building parts, which is what I truly enjoy. It's been a real challenge to figure all this out for me but the one thing I know for sure is that I love scratch building parts.

So this thread is not about building a airplane. This thread is just a record of myself building various parts and just having fun. I especially enjoy making parts I haven't yet made before.

With absolutely no idea of what airplane I would want I decided to go through every set of plans I have and just find a part or component I'd like to build that would offer me various challenges for the sake of fun and learning knowing that it won't fly, it will simply be art but will still be per plans and airworthy because I always build to the absolute best of my ability. I never take short cuts.

After spending the evening going through plan sets I decided to built a Pitts S1 lower wing. In the next post I'll explain why.

IMG_20190220_203600966.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    wsimpso1, cluttonfred and fly2kads like this.
  2. Feb 21, 2019 #2

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I decided to build this wing because I thought it offered up various "firsts" for me and some challenges I figured I'd enjoy.

1.) A Pitts wing is small. It's about 7' x 3' which is handy and manageable. I also have a table I built in my shop that is 8' x 40" which is perfect.

2.) Lots of firsts. Drilling vertically and accurately through a 11/16 spar. Making small caged bearing bellcranks. Building 2" accurate bellcranks has it's own set of challenges just to keep warping minimal for bearings. Drag/anto drag wires that cross through spars, that's a good challenge. Unique aileron hinges. Flying wire shafts that penetrate through the spar is a first. Laminated wood wing tips are another first for me.

3.) Small ribs are handy and I have material on hand.

4.) It's a Pitts, hard not to like anything Pitts related.

I have two sets of Pitts plans. 1 version is the old hand drawn set that's probably more fun than function. The 2nd set is cad drawn and are from Steen Aero.

Below are a couple photos showing some selected plan drawings of my challenge.

IMG_20190220_203548245.jpg

IMG_20190220_203712419.jpg

IMG_20190220_203732061.jpg

So that's what this is all about. I have zero intent to build and fly a Pitts. I'm just wanting to build parts and have fun until I figure out what I'm going to buy, restore or build. This project of building a lower wing will keep me sharp, keep me in the aviation loop and satisfy my urge to scratch build. I have no idea where this will take me but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Mike

cluttonfred likes this.
  3. Feb 21, 2019 #3

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Announcing you are just making parts as art might totally befuddle some. But sort of makes sense to me.
    I make and have made hundreds of test parts just to visualize new ideas and to see what works. And if my machines can form it, if it is light enough, strong enough...

4. Feb 21, 2019 #4

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

When your done if you dont decide to build the entire plane, you could use the wing as a computer desk. Just add provisions for standoffs to support a piece of glass and tie into the weldment attachment locations for the legs.

I have an Emeraude CP328a that I will likely never find a home for and was considering doing the same with the Elevator. In fact if you feel inspired, come and get it and build a flying Emeraude.... Only the fuselage is yet to be started. everything else is done... Just sayin

Marc

5. Feb 21, 2019 #5

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Build a flight simulator........what became of the Minimax project?

6. Feb 21, 2019 #6

billyvray

billyvray

billyvray

Build a wing. Send to me.
    Build a fuselage. Send to me.
    Wash, rinse, repeat. I'll tell you when to stop sending parts. Good plan right?

Beats mowing the lawn.

7. Feb 21, 2019 #7

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

==================================================

How about making a Modern Belt Drive for Rotax 277? Also one for these cheap Honda/Briggs/Clone Singles. Part 103 needs a Boosts.

8. Feb 22, 2019 #8

BoKu

BoKu

BoKu

You probably already know this, but the rod ends in that last drawing are pretty much unobtanium these days. No big issue if you're never going to fly the wings. But I can show you how to fab up functional equivalents from rod ends I happen to have a lot of.

--Bob K.

flyinut likes this.
  9. Feb 22, 2019 #9

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Thanks.

It was brought to my attention that the Smith Miniplane lower wing would be cheaper to build if I stuck to the plans, which I'd like to.

So I started going through them and it's true, I'm pretty sure I can build at least 1 Smith Mini lower wing with very little out of pocket expense. I'm still looking through these tiny little sheets of plans so I'm not sure yet.

Tonight I'm going to spend my time studying them. The aileron hinges are a little odd on the Smith but over all seems to be a straight forward build.

So that's what I'm up to. Looks like either one would be a pretty fun project and a neat item to hang on the wall until I figure out my actual build.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  10. Feb 22, 2019 #10

TFF

TFF

TFF

I think the Pitts is a better idea, especially if you can get an S model plan. You can make it art and that is cool, but if it’s built nice, it will have a value to use if you wanted to sell it. Someone ground looped or project bost. I will say on the side that I know of a Smith that has some unknown wings in it; long story. Someone like that would like a Smith wing, but they are the ones not putting out money on a cheap project usually.

11. Feb 22, 2019 #11

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Definitely a good point. Here's the thing though, I'm just making some various parts for fun for my wall. I'm certainly going to follow the plans and they will certainly be airworthy and absolutely no short cuts and the best I can produce but.......I just don't want to think in terms of what ifs. Hopefully that makes sense.

Input costs extremely low and the process extremely fun and the end is a neat product on my shop wall or my kids bedroom.

I still may do the Pitts, I'm going over some costs for both this evening. The cheaper one wins.

I'm just looking for fun here guys.

Tiger Tim likes this.
  12. Feb 22, 2019 #12

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

1. Build alluminum riveted side panel of B-24, rip edges
    2. Airbrush bomber art onto it. More amateurish it looks = more convincing
    3. List on ebay as mancave hanger wall art for big bucks
    4. Profit!

5. Make me painted tail of WW1 Fokker Dr.1 as thanks when you retire rich. :)

Let me send you Billyv's address to send parts to, it just happens to be my address.
    Make sure he keeps asking for a logical order of progression of parts from the same airplane blueprints.
    He's kind of a joker, I don't want er him to end up with an unairworthy Frankenplane.

13. Feb 22, 2019 #13

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I have no interest in making money from anything aviation and I certainly wouldn't do it as a goal. I have a business already and it's thriving because I've spent 29 years focusing on my trade. Changing gears is costly and inefficient.

My interest is in just having fun making a wing part from plans that I currently have on a budget using mostly material I have on hand. Something to satisfy my constant urge to fabricate.

14. Feb 22, 2019 #14

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

maybe out of line here....have a successful business, two great kids, perhaps you do not fly a lot?.....might what to build something a little less pilot skill demanding, like a Cub....welded tube right up your alley.

pictsidhe likes this.
  15. Feb 22, 2019 #15

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

If you don't mind please read my first two posts so you understand context. This is not a thread about money, flying, or my favorite airplane, or how much I fly or my kids.

This is a thread posted in the Tube and Fabric section on me making a part to hang on a wall. Please don't make assumptions about me and post it, I do mean this in a nice way so hopefully you don't take offense. My mission was clearly stated and I'd like to keep this on point.

16. Feb 22, 2019 #16

Pops

Pops

Pops

My old instructor had been an instructor since 1937 and loved WW-1 aircraft. I built him a full size rudder for a Fokker D-7 to hang on the wall of his shop for a Christmas present. He loved it. Idea ?

Tiger Tim likes this.
  17. Feb 22, 2019 #17

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

That's actually a good idea! You could do that with multiple parts such as an exact replica per plans part of Charles Lindberghs rudder on Spirit as an example.

A person could get creative and have a lot of fun.

Pops likes this.
  18. Feb 22, 2019 #18

BJC

BJC

BJC

A neighbor has a Spirit of Saint Louis wing rib hanging on his wall. Supposedly, it was built in the original rib jig at the SoSL museum in San Diego.

BJC

Little Scrapper likes this.
  19. Feb 23, 2019 #19

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

So very sorry, I guess the part about searching for a project stuck in my head.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  20. Feb 23, 2019 #20

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

Little Scrapper.......please read this entire post and take a few minutes to process what I'm writing before you form an opinion and reply...because I mean no disrespect in any way whatsoever.
    I'm am on the outside looking in and will tend to have a different viewpoint of your situation.
    You've posted numerous times that you're in a bit of a funk because you can't find a project to work on...poor workmanship by others,won't keep your attention,lack of time....etc.
    You start a project and then give it away or sell it to move on to something else,for one reason or another.
    You remind me of several guys that constantly hang around our airport.....always piddling with stuff,never complete anything and always find reasons not to make any progress even when help is pretty much forced on them to do so.
    I think they just like to hang around guys that they can relate to and have something of a bond with...their chosen guys could have very well been motorcycle club,car club,boating club.....it just happened to be airplane guys.
    Here's my question to you......since it seems unlikely that you will pick a project and see it through to completion....why not help other builders with their projects?
    If someone doesn't have the skill or time to fabricate an item why don't you tackle the job to help them move their project along?
    You get to show off your fabrication skills,the job constantly changes so your attention should stay focused,you would see different and interesting designs,you get to meet new people and form friendships,possibly earn some income that you can set aside and use to buy that one plane that you run across some day and fall in love with.....etc.

Understand that this post is not a jab in any way...quite the opposite.
    Use your skills and interests to your advantage....

Kevin

gtae07, pictsidhe and narfi like this.