Mike makes parts

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Decided to make the upper wing ribs and do it first.

The only reason is if you're a newbie and watching the videos in order it only makes sense to start with the simple full rib.

I really want this video wing series to be helpful and complete. I want it to matter. If done correctly the video series could actually encourage people to start scratch building.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
For an instructional tool, I think that approach makes sense. All of the different ribs needed for the lower wing are variants of the upper rib, so it might make it easier to comprehend the relationships if you start with the "full" version. The same concept applies to other biplanes, like the Hatz, and even to many monoplane wings of constant chord, so the knowledge is transferable to other aircraft types.

mquinn

great simple idea! Suggestion - put a stop (just a small peg to bump up to) can put in different areas (so 1 1/16 and 1 1/8 can be an inch or so apart down the recent rip edge) of course they should be flush with the TOP of your piece that you are ripping so you do not trip up your saw.

Attachments

Pops

Log Member
The quickest way to make all the plywood gussets is with a 4' stomp shear. Set the stop for the width of the strips and make all the strips. Then set the stop for the length and load the strips in the shear and do all the cutting very quickly. If you load 15 strips, every stomp you get 15 gussets made. I also use my homemade 12" shear for cutting the gussets after the strips are made.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I would think most people don’t have a stomp shear. Room is always at a premium and a table itself is a must so they’d already be 80% of the way done. Two pieces of scrap and it’s built. All the strips came out to within about .010” of each other and the strips were all cut and everything taken apart in about 10 minutes. That’s pretty efficient.

Most builders have a garage, granted I have a shop which is rare but everything I did can be done in a garage without spending money and taking up space. I think that’s a big one for many people, space is always a challenge for everyone I talk with.

Last edited:

don january

Log Member
One thing I think should be pointed out about gussets. Some aircraft such as the Taylor mono has gussets that "can not" be mass produced. The rudder alone only has sets of two that are the same and the elev gussets can not be cut in a straight line. I realize your on wing ribs and your approach is good but during a complete build a person will find they must use a different Technic to accomplish task at hand.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
One thing I think should be pointed out about gussets. Some aircraft such as the Taylor mono has gussets that "can not" be mass produced. The rudder alone only has sets of two that are the same and the elev gussets can not be cut in a straight line. I realize your on wing ribs and your approach is good but during a complete build a person will find they must use a different Technic to accomplish task at hand.
I just haven't gotten to that part yet. This video only addresses the current state of where I'm at in the process.

Pops

Log Member
I really like your videos. Great voice, very good camera work and editing, and you always illustrate how it can be done on the cheap and with the minimum of tools and still do a very good job.
Keep it up, its a great service to homebuilt aviation. People watching your videos will be saying " I can do that" and they can.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I really like your videos. Great voice, very good camera work and editing, and you always illustrate how it can be done on the cheap and with the minimum of tools and still do a very good job.
Keep it up, its a great service to homebuilt aviation. People watching your videos will be saying " I can do that" and they can.
Thank you very much, sincerely. At this point I'm not sure what I'm building or doing. I just know imI having fun and I don't feel any pressure. It would make me pretty happy if someone got enthusiastic about aviation because of something I did.

don january

Log Member
Little Scrapper. Your having fun and Omego that's what its all about.The stuff you share helps HBA be interesting and I always like to chime in to get out of the Box. Good job Mike

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Thank you, Don. Much appreciated. I draw inspiration every time guys like you and Pops Cdlwingnut post project updates. I see it and I'm like "alright, gotta go get after it again". Haha

Maybe we all draw inspiration from each other.

Group Builder