Mike makes parts

Discussion in 'Tube and Fabric' started by Little Scrapper, Feb 21, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 10, 2019 #81

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

When the OP in a thread asks you to stay on-topic, 'prolly not the best idea to continue off-topic. Just sayin'.

2. Mar 10, 2019 #82

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

In the time it took you to write that post I made Mahoney nose ribs, shot a video, explained to my kids how to be safe, use tools, how to work for things in life that you want, how to have patience, how to think, how to solve problems. I did all that while you were typing.

Please stop. You're hung up on why and I'm way way past that point. It's sorta like being half way up My Everest and you're that person complaining about why it's a bad idea to climb Everest. That person almost always dies on the mountain having never accomplished it.

Again, for the third time. I'm asking you to stay on topic of the ACTUAL wing. Because you haven't made any airplane parts it's hard to contribute but please try.

One day, many years from now, somebody somewhere might benefit from these videos and this thread. THAT is my reward. I realize that might be hard for you to understand but THAT truly is my reward. I'm hours away from Monday morning where I will be getting up early, being a dad, running a business and doing my thing. Regardless of your opinion on how I spend my time it will not change. I read your opinion, I respected you enough to read it.

Now, can we stick to building airplane parts on the world's largest home building forum in a thread designed to document my hobby for the benefit of anyone interested in building?

Remember something, I'm actually building right now. What are you doing? Thousands of posts like you mentioned are something I've done as well. Just remember, I've also built a crap load of airplane parts, forged relationships, went flying, etc etc.

Have you considered your looking at this through the wrong lens? Because that's an option as well. You could be wrong.

3. Mar 10, 2019 #83

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

The twelfth commandment, on that third tablet that Moses dropped and shattered on the way down the mountain, was "Feedeth Not The Troll." Just sayin'. ;)

Keep on with your parts-building, Mike. Much more interesting to those interested in homebuilding.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    BoKu, Little Scrapper and Jerry Lytle like this.
  4. Mar 10, 2019 #84

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Fresh coffee on, video uploading, parts being made right now my friend. Really having fun here today.

Topaz and MadRocketScientist like this.
  5. Mar 10, 2019 #85

billyvray

billyvray

billyvray

Well, whether you build a plane or a cabinet, you definitely have some good craftsmanship, and you make a pretty fine video. Thumbs up, friend! Keep it coming.

fly2kads and Little Scrapper like this.
  6. Mar 11, 2019 #86

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Video #4

In this video I put to use the temporary router table, I make a router pattern for the nose ribs and end with making a completed part from scrap.

[video=youtube_share;SymNTT0n8Lc]https://youtu.be/SymNTT0n8Lc[/video]

fly2kads and mcrae0104 like this.
  7. Mar 11, 2019 #87

don january

don january

don january

Mike. the wing your building is a Hershey bar type regarding all ribs are of the same length and a jig such as yours works well for those ribs. I would like to see an approach on building a jig for a tapered wing were either the trailing edge is tapered or both leading and trailing edges have a taper. I've done model planes using foam ribs and it was easy to accomplish by root rib and tip rib patterns made to guide hot wire. It would be cool if a person can design a jig to get the same result with ply ribs. I see a root jig plate and tip jig plate joined together Via threaded rod and shaping done by a drum sander but what if every rib is truss built like yours? it would be nice not to have to build a separate jig for every rib but I have yet to figure out a way around just that problem. Any thoughts? Don

8. Mar 11, 2019 #88

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Boy, that's another tough question for me. I've never actually thought about that.

Besides a Waco Taperwing what other airplane wing uses stick built ribs?

I don't own any Starduster plans, what kind of ribs do they use?

If the spar centerline's remain parallel the only thing that would change would be either the leading edge or trailing edge. That's a tough one because each rib would be custom.

9. Mar 11, 2019 #89

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Imagine a Hatz Taperwing modeled after the Waco Taperwing. Now that would be a unique project, I don't think that's ever been done?

Screenshot_20190310-220315~2.jpg

10. Mar 11, 2019 #90

don january

don january

don january

Starduster SA 300 wood wings with a lot of rib work. sure would be nice to find a faster efficient way to get those curvy wings built. EAA biplane wood Hershey bar wings nice to build because of single rib jig.

11. Mar 11, 2019 #91

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

This guy...

image.jpg image.jpg

12. Mar 11, 2019 #92

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

double post

Attached Files:

13. Mar 11, 2019 #93

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

That's a pretty sexy looking airplane mcrae

14. Mar 15, 2019 #94

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Topaz likes this.
  15. Mar 15, 2019 #95

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

On a 'lighter' scale, the Mitchell Wing B-10 ultralight and the Mitchell Wing U2 (not quite ultralight) use built up stick ribs with almost every one being a different size. The way Don Mitchell said to do it was lay the print on a board and put finishing nails along the outer edge line of the rib being built to hold the capstrip in place. Build a right/left rib, pull the nails and move them to the next line. Lather, rinse, repeat.

16. Mar 15, 2019 #96

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mcmark

IIRC the Starduster wing rib is the same forward of the rear spar. The trailing edge ribs were all different.

BJC likes this.
  17. Mar 17, 2019 #97

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Video #5 is uploaded.

As I get closer to making the first rib I'm contemplating whether or not to make all the ribs for the entire Biplane or just the few I need for the 1 lower wing. I'm still not sure.

I made this thread so I can document some cool random parts until I figure out what airplane I'd like to fully commit to. I still haven't figured that out so I guess I'll keep making wing parts until I do.

So I'm not sure. Do I make a few ribs and make one wing panel or knock out all 30 ribs for the whole airplane while the iron is hot? We'll see I guess.

This video is short, it shows how I dealt with a two part router pattern for aileron cove.

[video=youtube_share;ztf3ifz_guo]https://youtu.be/ztf3ifz_guo[/video]

mcrae0104 and fly2kads like this.
  18. Mar 18, 2019 #98

TFF

TFF

TFF

I say build all the ribs, but when you got enough for your wing panel, do a wing rib when you don’t feel like messing with the panel. There will be those days. I know of a Smith that does need wings. It was in a flood so I would not trust them. I believe you should build the whole thing or art, but if you don’t want to keep it/ them, there may be opportunity.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  19. Mar 18, 2019 #99

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Sounds like the plan I'm gonna go with.

I have no intention or desire to build the upper wing but it feels wrong to not make the parts because it doesn't take that much longer.

It would kinda screw up the video series of I didn't make at least one upper rib because they are unique.

20. Mar 20, 2019 #100

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Video 6 is uploaded. In this video I make all the mahogany rib tips for the leading edge. I also show a budget way of making parts for those who want to have fun building with spending much money.