Mike makes parts

Discussion in 'Tube and Fabric' started by Little Scrapper, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Apr 21, 2019 #141

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Uploaded a new video.

Happy Easter.

2. Apr 21, 2019 #142

TFF

TFF

TFF

Well, the jig will look nice over a mantle or other key spot. Nice parts making.

Little Scrapper, don january and Pops like this.
  3. Apr 21, 2019 #143

Pops

Pops

Pops

Yes, the jig is to nice to throw away. Save it, you never know you or someone else my be able to use it again or hang on a wall and remember the fun you had using it.

4. Apr 21, 2019 #144

don january

don january

don january

Great job Mike

Little Scrapper likes this.
  5. Apr 25, 2019 #145

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

I have visited the man cave of a serial airplane builder, and the walls are decorated with wing jigs and other fixtures from airplanes he has built or worked on. Way cool too.

Billski

cdlwingnut likes this.
  6. May 6, 2019 #146

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Video #10

Nails. Practice jig.

wwalton and fly2kads like this.
  7. May 10, 2019 #147

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

It's odd really, I started this thread with the idea that I'd make parts for fun and in the mean time search all the possible airplanes to build and dig deep within myself to find one that I really really want to build.

I've done that, I slowly went through all the designs I like. I have many many sets of plans and I went through them all.

My wife of course has been just watching me go through this process and observing. She's also known me for 30 years so she has her thoughts about it.

She's watched me build literally over a dozen fuselages only to finish them, smile at them and sell them or destroy them.

I have multiple sets of wings and enjoyed the entire process. I love building, except for all wood, that is one thing I don't like. Sawdust sucks. I just hate it.

So here I am working on my next video (epoxy) and my wife decides to chime in. Laugh at me and say "what are you actually building, you're such a perfectionist". Of course, that lead to a mild but slightly heated discussion of me saying "no I'm not!". We talked more. She's a good person, that's why I married her. When she decides to doll out advice it's worth listening because it's always spot on.

Afterwords we got the chores done, kids in bed and doing our nightly thing of couch sitting, reading and talking, she went to bed. I stayed up and started researching perfectionism. Schit! That struck a cord with me. Turns out she might be right.

Since I was a kid I think I've expected a lot out of people, myself, society etc. Always searching for perfect when perfect really doesn't exist. I did this with school, all my relationships, my apprenticeship, my business, my kids, my neighbors, I'm always looking for perfection and never really find it, and when I don't I have a tendency to criticize.

As a example, I went through like 30 airplane prints and found faults with ALL OF THEM. Looking back, it's crazy. I got rid of all my Cassutt stuff that I worked incredibly hard on because I was looking for a better design? A better situation? A two seater? I don't know, it's some form of perfectionism that can't be found. I'm starting to wonder if I have a trouble with "compromise". :)

I realized deeply yesterday while working on a bathroom remodel I just need to learn the skill of compromise. Such a hard thing for me.

There's so many reasons not to build a Smith Miniplane. It's ridiculously small and I'm not. It's a single seater and I have 3 kids. It's open cockpit and I live in Wisconsin. The list continues, I could come up with a 100 reasons why the Smith should be on the bottom of the list of airplanes to build. But when does it stop?

I decided to stop looking for perfection, compromise is the one skill I decided to work on for personal growth in my life whether that's airplanes, parenting, plumbing or lawn mowing.

I'm thinking this Smith is a good stepping stone and a good teacher to teach me patience and compromise.

Consider this my official build log.

8. May 10, 2019 #148

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Perfectionism is another marker of ADHD although it's usually interlaced with OCD.

https://www.additudemag.com/adhd-and-perfectionism-no-one-is-perfect/

I can laugh at this because I am OCD / AADHD just like my dad, just like his dad.

9. May 10, 2019 #149

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Turds right!

But I've found with age - some things I can start letting go of... 10+I years ago tossed a hand laid triumph spitfire carbon fiber hood (Google images, it's the whole **** front of the car) because of a 1/4" snag in the carbon twill. Stupidest part - it was going to be painted anyway. I probably had a thousand hours in it at that point, 2-3x that in materials...

I want to kick myself for that now lol. But it wasn't perfect... I still have issues with structural compromises, and out of square issues. But I think I can live with snags now ;)

10. May 11, 2019 #150

Raceair

Raceair

Raceair

Scrapper.......I learned a long time ago two words. They are 'GOOD ENOUGH'.....I have a half dozen airplane projects that were never finished, but also have 19 that WERE completed and flown, and thats because of the two words 'Good Enough'...I have been called a perfectionist, but I don't think I am.........
    You could resume with the Baby Ace stuff you have, or the Baby Lakes wings, or do the Miniplane. Building is fun, who cares if its a single seater. You can stretch and widen the Miniplane fuselage like I did with my Mong. Keep building, but stay with one project. If you need design assistance with stretching a Miniplane, contact me....

11. May 11, 2019 #151

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Scrap, After I redid several parts that weren't perfect one of the guys that built two flying aircraft said to me "remember you are building an airworthy airplane not a perfect one. you can build it airworthy but you can't build it perfect."

12. May 11, 2019 #152

TFF

TFF

TFF

You wanted to make the fun parts. That is not making an airplane. That is not an ADHD problem. I’m not saying you may have a tinge of ADHD, but truly anyone on this forum who holds a job, supports their family, and chooses what they do in their spare time is not overcome by ADHD. My cousin truly has ADHD. He lives a semblance of a regular life because his parents have enough money to give him that. He is about 40, never had a job because he can’t control what decides to do that day. On medication to slow him down enough to make decisions instead of reactions. Never driven because of possibility of road rage gone bad. Smart as a whip. College degree but he had to take one math class like seven times because the ADHD would direct him away.

I have a friend with his family have five airplanes. Two have become major projects for no reason. The important airplanes have to fly. When an engine on the twin broke, focus was getting it done. The Cirrus just got updated avionics. The RV8 which was a flying plane, has a hole in the side for the last three years for a ballistic parachute unfinished along with the uninstall overhauled prop from 12 years ago for what it was grounded for. The other plane which was just fine two years ago is in a million pieces. What happens is the idea is important but they are too well off to make it matter.

You will not finish a plane that does not matter to you. The only thing that gets you through the slog is that it matters. Getting done is more important than discomfort. That is the only way a plane gets done. Detours are easy excuses. I am guilty every day. Lots of projects around; lots that have no reason to be not finished except I would pick fun over finishing, moving to the project thar is essentially easiest of the pile. Getting a new project when the not fun comes around. They all seem to stop at the same general point. Hmmm. Lust is easy, and very powerful. It also is a killer. I also think the male mind wants to hunt. You want to stalk pray. Diverting from chasing women to cars or watches or golf clubs or fly rods. A hobby seems to keep us diverted from continually chasing girls. It’s like a copping mechanism. Some men seem to have won the hunt and are satisfied, and some don’t get the trophy and are hungry. I think if you don’t get the trophy, you will continue to make the same feedback looping mistakes. It’s not the size of the trophy as long as it was a worthy hunt. Without the win, the same mistakes get made.

Quality of build has to be tempered to win. Nothing is perfect. The more perfect something is, the smaller the flaw that upsets the perfection. Nothing wrong with high quality striving for perfection as long as it does not stop the win. If it does stop the movement, assuming it was a reasonable attempt with good quality, not talking about dangerous parts, you are not focusing on winning. That part will become an excuse to quit when it was just fine. You have to accept reality and know the difference to get where you need to go. I look at the Cri Cri build with wonder. I can’t do it. I can do any element but I can’t do the whole picture. I can not compare myself and my plane to that build. If I do, it’s a sloppy mess. But I am going for the win. It is going to get done mess and all. Not unsafe but no show plane. Actually I want it it to be a show plane of sorts. One to prove it does not have to be Lindy perfect to be good.

This is what I think is working towards perfection is. https://www.alange-soehne.com/en/timepieces/datograph-perpetual no one is building an airplane to this standard.

13. May 11, 2019 #153

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

The first aircraft build blog that I read was about the construction of a Cozy. Many pages had the builder looking at something that wasn't quite perfect, photographing and writing about it, then saying "nobody will ever know!" Before moving along to the next part. maybe MZ knows the one I am talking about?
    Absolutely brilliant. I've been trying to get the hang of that phrase myself ever since ;)

14. May 11, 2019 #154

don january

don january

don january

Mike. I don't know how many times I've looked at my T-mono and considered hanging it back up in the rafters and starting on the PDQ because of the quality of prints and ease of construction and I kid you all NOT! that the build seems to become harder the farther into it you get and you would think it would be easier and I think this is one main reason so many builds are abandoned. I tell myself daily that it doesn't matter when she will fly just that how safe it will fly and for how long. If it where me Id look around and see what parts you have for what plane you have already and start building. For months I was sling-en wood chips and mixing glue and now a different task in fuel tank and covering and I have the "I want it done now" type of thinking at times and that's a bad habit for a builder who is limited with time and money. Its rather funny how trying to estimate time needed for a lets say fuel tank build and what was thought to be a week turns into 3 months of debating but that's the wonderful thing of my build.:) That and at times I do it nice because I had to do it twice. :D

15. May 11, 2019 #155

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

The quest for perfection is not what's slowing scrapper down. From some of his project photos here, he has no problem completing a task to a high degree of perfection. It's just a tad more complex than that. If things could be changed with a pat on the back and words of encouragement, we'd all be home free.

16. May 11, 2019 #156

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

I will agree there are lots of hurdles mostly mental when building specially scratch building such as that looked a lot easier until i remembered i had to make the attachment brackets too, or how will i fabricate that part. But think through it ask for help, and remember people have done it with a lot less than us.

17. May 11, 2019 #157

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Actually, just to clear things up, I have zero concern over my quality. I'm really happy to be a perfectionist (to a point) with construction. I'm not changing anything as it concerns that. I enjoy challenging myself in both complexity and quality and I'm always able to produce things pretty fast. I don't drag my feet at all because of perfectionism etc. If I have time to build I'm extremely efficient. So, I just don't see a problem in that department unless I'm missing something.

My post was more in the area of picking the right airplane. Ha, that's where my wife really pointed it out. I always thought I just love them all. Not so sure.

I think I tend to talk myself out of a design because I can't grasp compromising. Every time I'm balls deep in a project my brain gets in the way and says "why are you building xxxx when yyyy would make sense.

Does that make sense?

I've come to realize that no design will answer all my dreams and desires. They just don't. I need to be ok with either a single or a double and just go with it knowing it's ok not to have XXX. It will still be fun.

I don't love the Smith but again, I don't love any of them, I think they are all cool.

I'm not sure about the ADHD thing. I read the article and didn't think it really represented me. I'm very organized, my business is hitting on all cyclinders, and not a whole lot in that article described me. I could be wrong though, I'm certainly not knowledgeable in that department.

I have a guy in Chicago that really really wants my Baby Great Lakes wings. The Smith would fit me better so it's time to let it go.

Baby Ace wings? I have a father and son in northern Wisconsin that are building a fuselage, I think I'm gonna donate them because bi really like those two. Incredibly nice people with low funds.

I regret getting rid of my cassutt. I've made some bad decisions in my life and man was that dumb. That probably ranks as one of the dumbest things I've ever done in my build process. Lol.

I will never ever make that mistake again. That Cassutt ordeal taught me a valuable lesson. Moving on.....

I love little Biplanes. Clearly. I always have. I think the Smith is a neat Biplane, maybe not the best of Biplanes but it's pretty awesome. I absolutely love building Smith parts when I have time so why not just keep her going? I'm not gonna even think about the Biplane, just stay focused on parts. But I'm done searching, I'm searched out.

Anyhow, that's where I'm at.

cdlwingnut likes this.
  18. May 12, 2019 #158

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Build yourself a Jodel, or it's Canadian cousin, a Falconar. Excellent short field performance, easy to build, simple materials, ticks all your boxes as a safe cruiser.

19. May 12, 2019 #159

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I'm not starting another project. Just gonna keep building parts for the Smith and have fun. I'm done searching.

Turd Ferguson likes this.
  20. May 12, 2019 #160

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

atta boy MIke, is the ultra-piet perfect for me? no not by a long shot, but it fits most of my criteria, two of the big ones being something i can complete with my skills and budget.
    build the smith and do like me and dream of what the next build might be when done.

but never forget the big one, have fun doing it