Mike makes parts

Discussion in 'Tube and Fabric' started by Little Scrapper, Feb 21, 2019.

1. May 12, 2019 #161

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

Instead of trying to Build a Plane from someone else's Plans, which usually have some faults account they Designed it for themselves, not the World, and many were not Aerospace Engineers. Why not Design your own Plane to fit your needs. Many of these Planes can be Upgraded.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  2. May 12, 2019 #162

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

It's a fair question. That type of thing is just not in my wheelhouse or desire at the current time in my life. Making parts is where I really find that I'm enjoying myself 100%. To add design is a complexity that I'm not wanting to undertake, maybe one day?

If I can get these wings done I'll jump on the fuselage and I'll need to figure out and design some means of stretching it about 3" for my legs which would drop my knees enough to fit. That is a big enough challenge for me design wise.

Again, maybe one day. For now I'm building ribs and having a lot of fun doing it.

wsimpso1 likes this.
  3. May 12, 2019 #163

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

====================================================

Yea, I know what you mean. Today, we have more Engines than ever before for these Old Planes. Many Plans just need all the Update's that were made over the years added to them and then preserved as PDF files. Some Designs could still be updated or Improved upon. I always wanted to build a Quickey(Q1) only Bigger Scale to fit me and more People. With these 3D Printers and CNC Routers, Foam Cutters, Mills, it could be done. With a 22hp Onan was around 110mph. Plans Built. A Honda Type GX440 Single Cylinder would be ideal Engine today for one of these.
    Quickey Q1.jpg

4. May 12, 2019 #164

fixnflyr

fixnflyr

fixnflyr

I did not know you parted with your Cassutt?! I was hoping I would meet you one September in Reno. I sold Heatstroke in March'18. We are working on a SnoShoe for 2020. Good luck with the Smith.

5. May 12, 2019 #165

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

It was a weak moment. Lol. Stupid is what it was.

Why did you sell Heatstroke?

6. May 13, 2019 #166

fixnflyr

fixnflyr

fixnflyr

In order to make it a Gold class racer I would need to change to a tapered wing, cut down the turtle deck and canopy, new carbon tail, new engine mount and cowling, etc..... I figured it would be faster to build a new plane and not scrap a slab wing racer with race history. I was planning to selling it when the new racer was done but the opportunity to sell it early at a good price was too tempting. There should be several new tapered wing racers starting to race this year. Only the fastest 24 get to race, the rest pack it up. We have been lucky that nobody missed a race but there is about 28-30 that could show up to race any given year. I was able to gain 30 MPH from rookie year 2016 to 2017, it was going to be a lot harder to get much more speed without a lot more effort. I picked the low hanging fruit first....

7. May 13, 2019 #167

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I can understand that. Cheers to new adventures! Looking forward to updates.