10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Yeah. That's about 190 mph. I was just estimating from the graph but I see the printout shows peak 188 mph or 163 kts.

Last edited:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I think I had a Senior Telemaster that would climb that fast....
We used to fly a friend’s Senior Telemaster that had been crashed and rebuilt with a lot of plywood and epoxy (it was way overweight like a certain canard that shall not be mentioned). To top it off, he pulled off the big engine (damaged) and put on a Fox .15. Climb was not in its vocabulary. It took between 600’ and 1,000’ to clear the barbed wire fence at the end of the field. I do t recall if we ever got it up to ‘pattern altitude’.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
My first one had my old Webra Speed 61 I think (way too much), and the next one had an O.S. .61 or O.S. 80 4 stroke if my ancient memory serves. The 4 stroke airplane was lost because I pulled the tail off of it doing aerobatics. The fuselage got very narrow and "small waisted" back there at the leading edge of the tail, and it was just balsa sticks.

My beloved K&B 40, with the equally beloved Perry carburetor, was on my RCM-40, and I'm gonna get all watery-eyed and snively talking about that airplane so (sniff) I'll just go (cough) suffer in silence...

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Why do you think it's arbitrary? I think it is a covenant or milestone in his investment package. Do not pass go until you fly off 40 hours. Something much hinge on it or we wouldn't be watching the reality show starring Raptor.

231TC

Why do you think it's arbitrary? I think it is a covenant or milestone in his investment package. Do not pass go until you fly off 40 hours. Something much hinge on it or we wouldn't be watching the reality show starring Raptor.
40 hours proves nothing other than that it can fly for 40 hours. It very well may be a condition of the partner, and that makes it no less arbitrary. They could have said 10 or 100 or anything they wanted, but they apparently chose 40 for no particular reason.

If there were a real test program within the 40 hours, that would make sense, but seeing as at this point they aren't even interested in determining such a basic thing as the stall speed, 40 hours appears to be the goal rather than the means to reach a goal.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
40 hours proves nothing other than that it can fly for 40 hours. It very well may be a condition of the partner, and that makes it no less arbitrary. They could have said 10 or 100 or anything they wanted, but they apparently chose 40 for no particular reason.

If there were a real test program within the 40 hours, that would make sense, but seeing as at this point they aren't even interested in determining such a basic thing as the stall speed, 40 hours appears to be the goal rather than the means to reach a goal.
You didn't understand what I said. In start up world any arbitrary milestone can apply. That is how the venture capital world works. Someone perceives that 40 hours means something while doing due diligence or the mark... client... customer... CEO says that is important.... and so it goes in the partnership agreement and all things become contingent on it. BTDT, wore out the t shirts. Doesn't have to make sense. Bean counters don't have a clue how to build an airplane. Of course it proves nothing. But the next tranche depends on it.