10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

PPLOnly

This is his most “normal” looking flight I think I have seen yet. I wonder if he’ll gas it up and takeoff again?

PPLOnly

What is the fastest climb he's done? 200fpm?
In all seriousness it appears to have a sustained climb rate capability between 3-400fpm. He zoom climbs a bit on initial takeoff, it would be interesting to know how long he can hold 100% throttle and what the climb rate would be to cruising altitudes if he could.

rv6ejguy

In all seriousness it appears to have a sustained climb rate capability between 3-400fpm. He zoom climbs a bit on initial takeoff, it would be interesting to know how long he can hold 100% throttle and what the climb rate would be to cruising altitudes if he could.
The longest we saw TO power applied before was less than 90 seconds from roll at 15C OAT. The TO roll is about 25 seconds on average. Usually in less than 3 minutes he's come back to 60-65% power to keeps oil temps from redlining. It was around 20C for the flight today. Will be bunch more challenging thermally at 30-35C.

The higher you go, the lower the mass flow for cooling there is available and intercooler heat flux increases progressively as the pressure ratio from the turbos increases.

And we have to remember, so far this is all with one small guy aboard and less than 30 gallons of fuel most likely. Add 1000 more pounds of people and fuel and the ROC will be dangerously poor or non-existent.

231TC

yes just see 1 hour enroute and reached 5900 ft almost 6000 ft now
Finally demonstrating that it's possible to fly it to the west coast. Still not a lot of margin, but that'll probably get him through New Mexico with a little over 1000 AGL. Everything else between A and B is easy compared to NM.

PPLOnly

Finally demonstrating that it's possible to fly it to the west coast. Still not a lot of margin, but that'll probably get him through New Mexico with a little over 1000 AGL. Everything else between A and B is easy compared to NM.
Was this that? He carries very little on board for fuel, could he do a 5,000 foot and hot takeoff after getting gas? I wonder what a cross country in 1.5 hour increments looks like….

231TC

Was this that? He carries very little on board for fuel, could he do a 5,000 foot and hot takeoff after getting gas? I wonder what a cross country in 1.5 hour increments looks like….
12 day trip to the west coast, assuming weather cooperates and nothing breaks.