10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

berridos

Personally i felt the initial testing phase less dangerous than what is coming. The more confident he becomes the more dangerous the flights. Hope he doesnt do the anounced cross country flight and packs the beast into a container to industrial phantasia land .

231TC

Looks like some here would feel better if the plane never got off the ground again, for "safety" reasons. Maybe this would be a good thing, for all concerned.
Well, everyone except the investors.
Yes, I certainly care more about human life than I do about a bunch of people who may lose most or all of their investment in Raptor. We don't know how that's going to pan out and we're not supposed to speculate on the business side of things here, so I'll refrain from saying any more about the investors.

I have no feelings on whether it ever flies again. I'm only concerned about it flying in its current state. Not that I think it's inevitable that it will end in the worst possible outcome, it could very well make it through the arbitrary 40 hours and out to the west coast without killing anyone.

But it's risky enough to make me cringe, and it's also fairly pointless. If everything is supposedly going to be fixed after it is flown to the west coast, it doesn't make sense to keep flying it now. Put it on a truck to the west coast, fix it, *then* fly it. There's little or no utility to continuing this risky flying.

Rataplan

Yes, I certainly care more about human life than I do about a bunch of people who may lose most or all of their investment in Raptor. We don't know how that's going to pan out and we're not supposed to speculate on the business side of things here, so I'll refrain from saying any more about the investors.

I have no feelings on whether it ever flies again. I'm only concerned about it flying in its current state. Not that I think it's inevitable that it will end in the worst possible outcome, it could very well make it through the arbitrary 40 hours and out to the west coast without killing anyone.

But it's risky enough to make me cringe, and it's also fairly pointless. If everything is supposedly going to be fixed after it is flown to the west coast, it doesn't make sense to keep flying it now. Put it on a truck to the west coast, fix it, *then* fly it. There's little or no utility to continuing this risky flying.
What spoiled the whole project is PM's refusal to test the plane with a proven engine . Put a team to make adjustments to the plane and get some 100's of lbs of it. And in the meanwhile he could play with his audi engine on the ground. Anyway at least he makes (15deg bank) 8's close to the airport but still the start and climb till the height he is able to land save somewhere is a dangerous phase.

galapoola

It may be that he’s approached this like a software/internet startup. That was his world before this venture. Startups do not have to necessarily show a working business model, simply show an intent and this will attract investment bankers. The figure 8’s are a relatively safe way (compared to a real test program) to show progress.

Rataplan

It may be that he’s approached this like a software/internet startup. That was his world before this venture. Startups do not have to necessarily show a working business model, simply show an intent and this will attract investment bankers. The figure 8’s are a relatively safe way (compared to a real test program) to show progress.
the only progress those 8's show is when the new engine's TBO will be more than the first engine's TBO LOL. anyway that 40 hours rule enables him to transport the plane to the west . Strange there is no 40 hr rule for new designs of experimental engines.

TFF

The figure eights only means he read the impossible turn thread. I’m sure his payday/ buyout has some minimum floor. He is trying to get there, otherwise it would have already been boxed up.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Not just software, any startup can seek investment. His aviation experience is pilot, much like the founder of Icon.

poormansairforce

It is difficult, no, impossible, for me to believe that anyone / any corporation with experience in E-AB kit or TC aircraft manufacturing experience would take on the Raptor project.

Perhaps an ignorant boatbuilder ...

BJC
It's a hostile takeover...Peter is the only one out of the loop. Once they "decide" the Raptor as it is currently will need a complete redesign then Peters' claim is terminated and the list of investors is the bag of spoils.

PPLOnly

17 minute flight this morning to only 2000 feet after 4 nice weather days off.
You’re going to make me pull the ATC tapes, huh? It’s not worth it to fly for 17 min, something must be giving him issues repeatedly.

Edit: Sounds like another gear issue initially but no indication given as to why he asks to return.

Last edited: