10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TarDevil

he has been known to thoroughly trash some kit model only based on his own opinion of the designer/kit maker (usually, a consequence of some personal slight or miscommunication). He always had an incredibly inflated image of his own importance.
All true. My first conversation with him (in the 80's during his magazine days) was ripe with complacency. I observed him from the fringes during the ultralight explosion. He often was the subject of beer table conversation.
He has a fairly good gig going now.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Looking at this NG render above, I just wonder if PM ever thought about why other manufacturers put engines and military stores on pylons instead of just gluing them directly to the wing surface like this. I can only imagine the huge flow disruption that this will create on the upper surface of the lower wing and perhaps even the lower surface of the upper wing and fuselage. Think what Honda Jet did instead.

I can't imagine this layout will make it into production. Oh wait, similar bad concepts made it onto Raptor 1...
Worse, with the box wing, the fan nacelles will just block the flow between the wings, especially power-off. Between the tiny span and the choked-off flow inside the "box", this thing is coming down like a brick if the powerplant fails, and seems unlikely to climb out on one fan if the other's electric motor or fan fails.

He'd have been better off with a conventional prop in the original location than this monstrosity, especially if that aft prop could feather if the noisemaker stops.

But that wouldn't make this thing reminiscent of the Airbus E-Fan, which seems likely to have been the inspiration (along with Synergy) for this new layout.

20140715-airbus-e-fan-farnborough-005.jpg
300px-Synergy_Artist's_Concept.jpg

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Given that we now have a Raptor NG thread, Raptor NG Discussion

My preference is ship the stuff on the NG over there and close this thread. Anyone with strong reasoned opinions resisting such a move?

Billski
Okay, but it seems a shame to kill it just as it is about to hit 4000 posts. Now, if we added up ALL the Raptor thread counts...

No, it is time.

Status
Not open for further replies.