• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Very low noise propeller, design ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredoyster

Any suggestions for design approaches for a very low noise, low speed propeller? The basic goal: light two-seater, nearly inaudible in overflight at 1000 ft. The YO-3A is the inspiration, it used several versions of a ~100" prop turning ~840 rpm for a maximum tip speed around 340 fps. The plane I'm thinking about would be about half the weight and power, so I'm guessing about 72-78" diameter turning around 1000 rpm in cruise, absorbing maybe 50 hp.

Most of the propeller design formulas I've seen look at more ideal conditions, with tip speeds around 0.8 Mach for best efficiency. Modeling is much simpler at those speeds, it seems to me. This can be a fixed pitch design for a limited range of speeds and altitudes. I'm hoping to do better than the ~50% efficiency that was achieved with their wide, thin paddle blades. Ideas?

Back