The 'daydreamers' thread...post your craziest designs and concepts here

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

lr27

How many sources if drag can we add...... I guess having a nearly anorexic* pilot helps.

*If memory serves. Memory doesn't, however, serve up the name of the video.

Tiger Tim

Three somewhat realistic daydreams that I’d like to get to eventually:

1) UL Buhl Pup replica, about the size of a MiniMax with a Verner 3vw up front. Aluminum monocoque fuselage with typical UL aluminum tube wings and tail, and I suspect it one was reeeeaaallly careful building it could squeeze into Part 103.

2) Miniature Velie Monocoupe built for one person: a Solocoupe. Also uses the 3vw for power though exact construction is up in the air. I imagine the most correct answer is a welded 4130 fuselage and tail with wooden wings but I’d also entertain Graham Lee-style aluminum tube and gusset, or all wood.

3) Metal framed Pietenpol clone. Basically and extension of the thinking behind the Grega GN-1 which was itself a simplified Air Camper meant to use the most available stuff at the time. While mine would still be fabric covered, the frame I’d like to explore is made of aluminum sheet bent into structural shapes on a brake rather than relying on extrusions. All joinery would be with gussets and traditional solid rivets. N3N biplanes were built this way so it would even be era-appropriate for those who are into that. All weldments and complex sheet metal would be things already manufactured, like the landing gear and complete firewall forward from a J-3 which are available in various catalogues. Ribs and spars would be Cub too for easy availability.

delta

This one would take off and land conventionally most of the time but have vtol capability when needed.vtol2a.JPG .

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
But isn't that what the dreaming is all about...show things that were hitherto impossible ?
Let's not pretend, shall we?

Yes, you're back on the forum and, so long as you stick to our topic and play by the rules of the house, you're welcome to stay here. That was a problem last time, and you saw how it ended. Dreaming about legitimate homebuilt aircraft projects has always been welcome here, and I'd just as soon you stayed instead of a repeat of last time. It's entirely up to you, just as it was before.

Speedboat100

Banned
Let's not pretend, shall we?

Yes, you're back on the forum and, so long as you stick to our topic and play by the rules of the house, you're welcome to stay here. That was a problem last time, and you saw how it ended. Dreaming about legitimate homebuilt aircraft projects has always been welcome here, and I'd just as soon you stayed instead of a repeat of last time. It's entirely up to you, just as it was before.

I thank you.

nestofdragons

I read that landbirds have same sinkrate as seabirds. They just fly slower. Well ... for many beginner pilots speed is of no interest. Just let them fly. Around the farm or around the chuch tower. But most airplanes are hard to transport. Or they take time to set up.
Here i dream of something that has a flat plate as base and you stick in feathers at the end. The tail can be flipped forwards for transport. The flat base can be transported on top of your car. Set up should be really really fast.
Marko Stamenovic made several simulations with something similar for me. He told me he was really surprized with the stability of the wing with feathers. And ... stability sounds to me as SUPER GOOD FOR BEGINNERS.

Maybe some day i will be on top of the training hill near my place with my set of wings. Might be the only way to get airborne again for me.
2013-05-21 The Bird Glider AA AA_500x320.jpg2013-05-21 The Bird Glider AA AB_500x359.jpg
2013-05-21 The Bird Glider AA AC_500x353.jpg
2013-05-21 The Bird Glider AA AD_499x335.jpg

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
I would like a Jodel D-9, sized to 105%, made of aluminium and assembled with pop rivets and solids on the spars. Predrilled,by those who know how to do such things,so that it can be quickly assembled with Clecos. Engine of about 40 hp,say, a light industrial twin 4-stroke. If I knew how to calculate stresses, I'd do it.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
TDD, that sounds a lot like a Hummel H5, though that needs at least a basic full VW engine of about 60 hp. Why aluminum? A Jodel D-18 or D-19 built as a comfortable single-seater might work with something like 40 hp.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Koen, this is an intriguing idea even if I am not fond of flying head-first. What sort of control arrangement did you have in mind, pure weight shift or is there a pilot-controlled function of the tail and tip feathers?

Here i dream of something that has a flat plate as base and you stick in feathers at the end. The tail can be flipped forwards for transport. The flat base can be transported on top of your car. Set up should be really really fast.
Marko Stamenovic made several simulations with something similar for me. He told me he was really surprized with the stability of the wing with feathers. And ... stability sounds to me as SUPER GOOD FOR BEGINNERS.

nestofdragons

Koen, this is an intriguing idea even if I am not fond of flying head-first. What sort of control arrangement did you have in mind, pure weight shift or is there a pilot-controlled function of the tail and tip feathers?
Might be that a feet first is easier to make. D-tube can run from left to right.
Pitch-control was intended with that flat tail. I want to place that tail in the location where air-separation happens in the middle. So if stall is near, the tail will loose function and the nose will go down by itself. Maybe it will create a wave like motion. But not really stall.
Aileron and rudder was hoped to be able to do in changing the AoA of the first two feathers. Only on the inside wingtip of the turn. I would rotate them at a more negative AoA (yes, the first feathers should "aim" downwards if i look at the work of Bob Hoey at the TWITT-website). I hope that the rotated feathers create less lift on that wingtip and ...create some drag too. So ... it might create a good turn by just a single surface. If that would not work ... solution could be spoilers like used on the hangglider ATOS.

I really would avoid weight shift for steering control, unless for some trimming (if seated and not prone).

Bill-Higdon

Three somewhat realistic daydreams that I’d like to get to eventually:

1) UL Buhl Pup replica, about the size of a MiniMax with a Verner 3vw up front. Aluminum monocoque fuselage with typical UL aluminum tube wings and tail, and I suspect it one was reeeeaaallly careful building it could squeeze into Part 103.

2) Miniature Velie Monocoupe built for one person: a Solocoupe. Also uses the 3vw for power though exact construction is up in the air. I imagine the most correct answer is a welded 4130 fuselage and tail with wooden wings but I’d also entertain Graham Lee-style aluminum tube and gusset, or all wood.

3) Metal framed Pietenpol clone. Basically and extension of the thinking behind the Grega GN-1 which was itself a simplified Air Camper meant to use the most available stuff at the time. While mine would still be fabric covered, the frame I’d like to explore is made of aluminum sheet bent into structural shapes on a brake rather than relying on extrusions. All joinery would be with gussets and traditional solid rivets. N3N biplanes were built this way so it would even be era-appropriate for those who are into that. All weldments and complex sheet metal would be things already manufactured, like the landing gear and complete firewall forward from a J-3 which are available in various catalogues. Ribs and spars would be Cub too for easy availability.
Take a look at Richard Lambs VeeCoupe

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
@cluttonfred, aloominum because I'm used to working it and the Zenith way is simple and fast.Not really gone on the Hummel tadpole shape. A D-9 because I'd like a single-seater, especially if it had a simple three-piece Jodel wing that could be taken down and carried in a trailer. Assemble it in Spring and take it apart in Winter for storage. A CFM Shadow living in it's own trailer is a classic example.