The 'daydreamers' thread...post your craziest designs and concepts here

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
The Tipsy Junior (see 21st century Volksplane?) used an interesting setup where the wing was simply bolted to the fuselage bottom longerons with brackets and then faired in using essentially an upside-down turtledeck on the fuselage belly and a small forward fairing. That could be an easy way to tackle a simplified aluminum kit design for beginners: basic four-sided tapered box fuselage, constant-chord wings with a big single box spar (or D-cell and rear spar), ditto the tail surfaces, and prefabricated composite, engine cowlings, forward decking/fuel tank like a VP, forward and rear belly fairings, turtledeck, and canopy frame or cabin top.. Curves in the fairings and perhaps some pretty molded wing and control surface tip fairings would dress up something that's really an aluminum Volksplane underneath.

@cluttonfred, aloominum because I'm used to working it and the Zenith way is simple and fast.Not really gone on the Hummel tadpole shape. A D-9 because I'd like a single-seater, especially if it had a simple three-piece Jodel wing that could be taken down and carried in a trailer. Assemble it in Spring and take it apart in Winter for storage. A CFM Shadow living in it's own trailer is a classic example.

WonderousMountain

BiTandum plane is pretty out there,
although it has it's own thread. Kind
of blocky so I set it down for a while,
but now I like it as an A 2 B. We'll see.
Still need the engine for it that is small
& light-also cheap...
Note:
Revised tail is for trim, not pitch control.
octoplane - Assembly 1 Drawing 1.pngIMG_20200921_142628.jpg

Sockmonkey

This guy. Fixed lifting V-tail.
The flap/elevator/ailerons also split open to function as drag rudders for short control runs.

Nestofdragons, can I get your opinion on this? I think the particular compromises of this design are pretty good.

Last edited:

Pilot-34

I want a bonanza like bird that I can fly to a nice airport 40 miles from where I wanna be then take out two drooped slotted leading edges and bolt them to the leading edge to you have a high performance STOL .

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter

Tiger Tim

Is that from the old comic books that featured the Grumman Skyrocket?
The Eaglet is from the Bill Barnes pulp novels andif you like it you should check out the other planes they had like the Scarlet Stormer and a squadron of Lancers. The bad guys had some seriously cool hardware too, like the Dart which was basically a militarized Hawks Time Flies.

The Skyrocket was in the Blackhawks(?) comics.