Quantcast

The 'daydreamers' thread...post your craziest designs and concepts here

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Traskel

View attachment 90948 View attachment 90949 View attachment 90950 View attachment 90951 View attachment 90952 Here’s my crazy daydream: A 4-seat aircraft that’s a mixture between a delta, a flying wing and a blended-wing-body. It would be of comparable overall size to a normal Cirrus SR20, but with more than double the wing area, (approx 300 sq. feet vs. 145 sq. feet) which would give an enormous lift.

With great lift comes also good weight carrying capacity. Even if those big wings would give the airplane a total weight more than 400 pounds more than the Cirrus, mine would still have a wing loading approx. half of the Cirrus. This would give very low stall speed, small turning radius, and a gentle behaviour. I guess it would not be a fast, effective long range vehicle, but more a “quick-up-and-have-fun” aircraft. But some of my inspirations are Verhees delta, and Dyke delta, and they are surprisingly fast for their installed engine power.
Gorgeous...

Speedboat100

Flaps will always provide enough slow.....even for small green strips.....as long as the wingloading is low and craft has sufficient power.

WarpedWing

For over thirty years I have wanted to build a scale version of the S3A Viking using Ducted Fans. Now that battery and motor technology is improving exponentially, It might be possible to see this dream come to fruition.

Speedboat100

For over thirty years I have wanted to build a scale version of the S3A Viking using Ducted Fans. Now that battery and motor technology is improving exponentially, It might be possible to see this dream come to fruition.

Why not real jet engines ?

That is a beauty...what scale did you have in mind ?

Lockheed_S-3_Viking.jpg

BJC

HBA Supporter
How old are you, Warped?

If you are close to my age, forget it.

BJC

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Don't get me started with Luft '46, I have sketched lots of asymmetric designs inspired by Richard Vogt's Blohm and Voss oddities over the years. Imagine something along the lines of a Jodel D.9 Bébé with the pilot moved forward to a glider-like nose with fantastic forward visibility in a slightly off-center fuselage and the engine moved to a nacelle on the wing....

WarpedWing

Why not real jet engines ?

That is a beauty...what scale did you have in mind ?

View attachment 103318
I like efficiency. I would like to make it a hybrid (Battery/Gen). I'm not looking for hot shot flying. I think a 70% scale in a mix of Composite/Aluminum would be the easiest to construct. I have just always thought the Viking was sexy. I would make some needed changes for slower landing speeds. leading edge slats and sweep the outer wing forward. Much like the Tomcat.

Now I may be old by some peoples standards (65) but I have a long way to go still. I'm retired! Still have obligations but, a man can still dream can't he?

Speedboat100

I like efficiency. I would like to make it a hybrid (Battery/Gen). I'm not looking for hot shot flying. I think a 70% scale in a mix of Composite/Aluminum would be the easiest to construct. I have just always thought the Viking was sexy. I would make some needed changes for slower landing speeds. leading edge slats and sweep the outer wing forward. Much like the Tomcat.

Now I may be old by some peoples standards (65) but I have a long way to go still. I'm retired! Still have obligations but, a man can still dream can't he?

Man must dream...I just extented the aspect ratio of my dream into 12.4...it is a 70 kg electric ac.

Riggerrob

Don't get me started with Luft '46, I have sketched lots of asymmetric designs inspired by Richard Vogt's Blohm and Voss oddities over the years. Imagine something along the lines of a Jodel D.9 Bébé with the pilot moved forward to a glider-like nose with fantastic forward visibility in a slightly off-center fuselage and the engine moved to a nacelle on the wing....
Yes dead Cluttonfred,

My first sketches of a half scale replica of a Blohm & Voss 141 started with Falconar F-11 Jodel wings, primarily because those wings are good for stand-off-scale. Then I sketched in semi-B&V tail feathers similar in size and location to Jodel tail feathers. The only problem was that a B&V 141 Mark I cockpit gondola/nacelle - with the stepped windscreen - was easy to pencil in, but I wanted the "evil-looking" faceted windscreen of the later model ... more like a Junkers 88 or Dornier 17 bomber.

With what we know about semi-reclined sailplane cockpit design, I may give it a second attempt.
Next step is a review of SAE 95th percentile male pilot figures and figure out if they will fit in a half-scale cockpit gondola/nacelle. We wonder what sideways visibility will be like with the pilot's shoulders leaning against the main wing spar and his/her eyes just behind the leading edge. I may have to change to 65 percent scale like so many other replica builders.
Has any one published charts of typical cockpit dimensions, especially rudder pedal to seat-back distance?

After designing the cockpit gondola/nacelle, the second step is preliminary weight-and-balance calculations with the propeller spinning just slightly forward of the rudder pedals.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I am more interested in applying the asymmetric approach to new original designs than in creating a replica. The traditional tractor-engine monoplane layout has the huge disadvantage that the engine blocks the view forward and downwards during the most critical phase of flight operation...landing! I would love to see an otherwise straightforward design like my conceptual asymmetric Jodel D.9 to really put the approach to the test.

For civilian sport aircraft unconcerned with tail gunner firing arcs or the view straight down for reconnaissance or bombing, I think the approach of a fuselage housing the pilot (and passengers if any) and a single engine nacelle has a lot going for it. Check out this Aeroprakt A-28 four-seat light twin and then squint your eyes and imagine an asymmetric two-seater with the engine on the right side only and the engineless left wing a little shorter.

AP28 (1).jpgAP28.jpg

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
How about a Heinkel 162 with tweaked aerodynamics and a modern engine, running on kero or chip fat or biodiesel? All wood, manual undercarriage,goes like you-know-what off a shovel. Put in a BRS instead of an ejection seat.

Pilot-34

I like the idea of a seaplane no complicated retracting landing gear simple just attachments that you can carry with you or not depending on whether you need the weight and the ability to land on land

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
How about a Heinkel 162 with tweaked aerodynamics and a modern engine, running on kero or chip fat or biodiesel? All wood, manual undercarriage,goes like you-know-what off a shovel. Put in a BRS instead of an ejection seat.
There was a guy back in the late '70's who was racing a custom-built jet in the Jet division at the Mojave Air Races, that looked broadly like an He-162. Somewhere in my collection of old photos, I think there's a shot, but I haven't been able to find it.

"Tweaked aerodynamics" would be advisable. The He-162 as noted by Allied test pilots after the war as being a fairly difficult airplane to fly. The original plan of sending up Hitler Jugend with a little glider training would've been, and I quote, "tantamount to suicide."

joolkano

Still in concept stage, a VTOL with electric motors driving multiple propellers located on the skids to handle vertical take-offs & landings. Then a large ducted fan on the rear driven by a regular combustion engine for flight. I was too late in my submission with Boeing's Go Fly contest so I was not able to submit it.
Dragonfly VTOL 1.png
Dragonfly-1.jpg

Last edited:

Riggerrob

I am more interested in applying the asymmetric approach to new original designs than in creating a replica. The traditional tractor-engine monoplane layout has the huge disadvantage that the engine blocks the view forward and downwards during the most critical phase of flight operation...landing! I would love to see an otherwise straightforward design like my conceptual asymmetric Jodel D.9 to really put the approach to the test.

For civilian sport aircraft unconcerned with tail gunner firing arcs or the view straight down for reconnaissance or bombing, I think the approach of a fuselage housing the pilot (and passengers if any) and a single engine nacelle has a lot going for it. Check out this Aeroprakt A-28 four-seat light twin and then squint your eyes and imagine an asymmetric two-seater with the engine on the right side only and the engineless left wing a little shorter.

View attachment 103359View attachment 103360
That Aeroprakt A-28 light twin needs more "glass" around the nose. If you use a computer tablet as your primary flight instrument, you barely need rudder pedals blocking your view forwards and downwards.