The 'daydreamers' thread...post your craziest designs and concepts here

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Floydr92, Apr 12, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 12, 2016 #1

Floydr92

Floydr92

Floydr92

Hi all, time for a thread to post ideas, concepts and designs you wouldnt normally share for fear of ridicule.

Doesnt have to be practical or possible, but hey, maybe someone has a good idea worth taking further. Maybe some of the non-engineers (usually the most creative) have an idea and dont know if its possible?

No shooting people down on this thread, theres no stupid ideas (well, there is, but some can be recovered into reasonable ones) One day someone said 'i'm going to build a plane and fly like the birds', thousands laughed...who's laughing now?

Anyway, a couple from me open for discussion...

1: footlaunched helicopter
    - i dont know if this is possible, but here in the UK, if you can carry the weight on your back and launch from your feet...you dont need a licence, insurance, anything. Free to fly as you please. This is more of a 'that would be cool' idea rather than an aircraft with any degree of practicality.

2: very low drag electric canard record breaker. Again, absolutely no practical function besides being faster than chip yates' long EZ. Using artificial stability and FBW controls, with electrically internally blown flaps for low ish speed landing (very small wings). Has a takeoff booster drone with a battery module onboard, takes off steep and when the drone battery is depleted it glides back to the runway. I've actually done some number crunching on this and think it could work quite well, might build a scale model and work out some details. :)

3. Iron man...not my idea, but i wanna fly one of those suits!!

Little Scrapper likes this.
  2. Apr 12, 2016 #2

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I've always thought this was neat.
    20160412_150200.jpg

Lucrum, Topaz and Floydr92 like this.
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #3

Floydr92

Floydr92

Floydr92

Oooh i want one! Inspector gadget :)

4. Apr 12, 2016 #4

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Would this be a glider or powered? If it's powered, then it should be very easy to pick it up for launch, provided you use a very high "idle" and some collective. :gig:

One old idea (for an aerobatic showplane)... composite, radial powered X-wing/X-tail plane. Wings mounted on the 45 degree lines and the tail mounted on the 0/90 degree lines. Wheels at the wing tips and tail tips. Every 90 degrees of roll give you an identical configuration, with the exception of the bubble canopy location. You could do rolls or knife-edges all day long without losing lift, and you can land rightside-up, upside-down, or sideways. Very little reason to actually build something like this unless you wanted a unique performance plane.

nucleus and Floydr92 like this.
  5. Apr 12, 2016 #5

Floydr92

Floydr92

Floydr92

Sounds like a very cool idea, maybe a good contender for an aerobatic RC?

As for the footlaunched helicopter...does this count??
    Lifting-A-Helicopter.jpg

6. Apr 12, 2016 #6

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

I'd say that counts! :)

Floydr92 likes this.
  7. Apr 12, 2016 #7

RPM314

RPM314

RPM314

They already have something like that in RC, it's called the UMX hyper taxi. It has computer stabilization, and can do VTOL.
    [video=youtube;1nuMrNViqNU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nuMrNViqNU[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
    bmcj and Floydr92 like this.
  8. Apr 12, 2016 #8

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

But that doesn't have a radial engine, so there!

Besides, that thing is ugly but mine would have been.... OK, mine would have been ugly too! Also, my concept was a taildragger, not a tail-setter.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
    RPM314 likes this.
  9. Apr 12, 2016 #9

Autodidact

Autodidact

Autodidact

The up-gradable airframe. These two have the same "core" fuselage, center section wing stubs, and vertical tail. The slow looking one has non tapered outer panels and a Suzuki or Honda 3 or 4 cylinder w/redrive, and the other has a stronger tail, smaller tapered outer wing panels, retracts, a p51 scoop, and a 180 hp+ v6. There could be iterations in between the two extremes, but probably not just any random mixture of components. In the "slow" 3-view, the wing stub is too wide:

1A-21_VP1_straighttailgrove.jpg F-21_VP1_smllcanopysraighttailretract.jpg
    21_VP1_straighttailgrove3view.jpg 21_VP1_smllcanopysraighttailretract3View.jpg

skier, Badwookie, Wayne and 3 others like this.
  10. Apr 13, 2016 #10

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I have dozens of old sketches at home of a similar approach something like a cantilever Volksplane or a rectilinear Taylor Monoplane with constant-chord wing and horizontal stab and various interchangeable and mutually-compatible options for the cowling (fully-enclosed or cylinders exposed), canopy/cabin (open-cockpit, bubble canopy, coupé top), turtledeck (high or low to fit cockpit/cabin), wingtips (squared off, circular, Hoerner) and rudder shape (angular or curved). Bud Evans gave up on trying to keep people from customizing the VP and instead focused on maintaining the basic structure and aerodynamics and just play with the looks. Eric Clutton also offers both curved and angular rudder shapes for FRED which do have a big impact on the look of the plane. The idea here would be to work out the various options in advance and let people mix and match. The Mr. Potato Head of airplanes!

VP1_Campground.gif VP1_Mustang.gif sportster.gif

6391981139_1c2ac537b7_z.jpg 8454149520_2017a765f3_z.jpg

Wayne likes this.
  11. Apr 13, 2016 #11

Floydr92

Floydr92

Floydr92

I like the above ideas regarding modular type aircraft. Would certainly be a great kit, pretty much design whatever you like and it all fits together like mechanano on the same fuselage.

I was doing a sort of feasability study of a composite LSA/SSDR/PT103 one size fits all type design, available in either low or high wing configurations, with the wings being the only difference between the 3 sets of regulations, tatget being ready to fly under $20k. The wings were to be foldable into 2 panels on each wing. The inboard panels were straight constant cord so both inner wings can be pulled from the same mold.

Modular in that it could have high wing, low wing, taildragger, tri gear, floats, anphib floats, T tail, conventional tail, etc etc.

12. Apr 13, 2016 #12

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

A neat idea but if going for composite construction I think I'd go for prettier tapered wings and tail surface and look for modularity in other ways.

13. Apr 13, 2016 #13

Floydr92

Floydr92

Floydr92

It would just be the inboard panels...pic of high wing version:
    P_20160323_195049.jpg

Cant really see much of the wing shape, but quite a high AR so not noticable anyway.

Low wing would be exact same fuselage, with the strut going to the same mount the high wing would be attached to. No spar carry through as such since its supported by a strut, just has to be a pin joint of sorts

Here's the low wing (without a paint job). Better view showing the wing sections i mentioned.

high wing.png

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Autodidact likes this.
  14. Apr 13, 2016 #14

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Pretty, but it is odd that the single strut seems to to about the 60% chord line. Wouldn't it be better closer to the CP?

15. Apr 13, 2016 #15

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Scale B-36 with 6 Rotax engines... I'd use the jet pods for baggage storage.

16. Apr 13, 2016 #16

Floydr92

Floydr92

Floydr92

sure, but it's just a rough cut.

too many ideas to concentrate on one, think the modular config is probably the most practical and feasible out the lot though.

I'm on holiday at the moment, but will be back to building my Minimax in a week (pfft...only a week left of holidays :( ), i think its a good practice plane before i start building any of my own designs. a 'my first homebuilt' by fisher price.

Till then, i'm killing a lot of time daydreaming :) (and writing a report on airframe structural integrity due tomorrow evening, :( )

i like it! private jet type size? imagine that parked up beside a learjet/citation etc.

17. Apr 13, 2016 #17

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

You could have races with the guy building a scale B-17!

theballybomber_2013_0273.jpg

TheBallyBomber.com | HOME

If we're going with a scale replica, how about a stand-off replica, 7/8 scale, LSA-legal de Havilland DH.83 Fox Moth with just one passenger or lots of baggage in the front cabin? ;-)

1516505.jpg

Floydr92 likes this.
  18. Apr 13, 2016 #18

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

I daydream here and there ..

Attached Files:

19. Apr 13, 2016 #19

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Attached Files:

Sockmonkey, Himat, Topaz and 3 others like this.
  20. Apr 13, 2016 #20

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Plenty others and variations on all these as well, keeps an active mind at rest.

Attached Files:

Himat, Floydr92 and cluttonfred like this.