Shoulder wing unpopularity

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

lr27

Make sure to let me know when it's time to put the leading edge sheeting on. I want to have the Prozac concession in that workshop.
Prozac would only kick in after the second or third week of planking, ;-) It would probably just be tedious if done with narrow planks. Could be cold molded wood or foam strips to cover with glass or carbon. Or carved foam blocks.

Lendo

DP, some small hints,
1. A straight Leading Edge, eliminates the losses through Wing Sweep all other things being equal like AR and Velocity.
2. Straight Trailing edges help to keep the Trailing Edges vortexes evenly distributed, which is best for Drag.
3. One would think a Rectangle wing would then be perfect, except for the large Tip trailing Vortex Drag.
4. I guess you could call that a small Strake, but probably too small to be effective in eliminating fuselage to wing Interference (Pressure) Drag.

If does however look unusual/ different :).
George

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
Thanks for your comments guys. I'm happy to have started a conversation subject for you. As faciful as it is, I will continue to model it for my own enjoyment and yours.
BJC, spars come next. Nothing as fancy at the real thing but perhaps a bit different to allow for my morphing control surfaces. BTW, "scaling" every rib took me hours to make them fit in all dimensions.

Victor Bravo

I agree. Revise structure to accommodate engines up to 110-125hp and associated weight.
What about bolting a 912 on the front of it... and you're done? No greater fuel burn than the VW, it would certainly fit in the cowl, and the performance would be astounding with the 100HP Rotax. Add a set of VG's and some 21" Aero Classic LSA bush tires and you'd have a pretty neat little touring cruiser with reasonable off-road capability, that doesn't look like everyone else's airplane.

Last edited:

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Unless you happen to have a C-90 waiting for an appropriate airframe.......needs new, overhauled or lightly used mags. A new PMA and lightweight starter would be in order too. :)

Victor Bravo

Yamaha rx1 on a cygnet? That would be something.
Yes, noisy and unreliable.

The 80HP Rotax 912 is the ultimate powerplant for this aircraft, although somewhat expensive. More than enough power for excellent performance, high reliability, plenty of room for the engine and all accessories in the cowling, low fuel burn, auto gas compatible, weight equal or lighter than original VW, and widespread availability. A very well balanced choice that has far more factors in favor than against, and a balanced solution.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
The Suzuki G10 with a redrive (or the similar Aeromomentum AM10) would be a good choice for a Cygnet as well.

BREAK

For no particular reason, here's a neat video of my favorite shoulder-wing aircraft. You'll want to fast forward through parts of it if you don't speak Czech (I don't either) but the footage at the beginning and end is worth it.

Marc W

Yes, noisy and unreliable.
I plan on putting a muffler on mine just like most people do. Please share your experiences with unreliable Yamaha RX-1's. I am very interested in what failed and why since I am putting one in my airplane.