Shoulder wing unpopularity

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
It’s very striking, so if it’s what you want to do, then go for it. It won’t be for everyone, but it doesn’t have to be.

Shoulder wings give a great view except the hind quarters. A simple clearing wing dip is needed time to time!

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Getting back to the original thread, I like the shoulder wing idea so I sat down and designed one. Based on the Australian Eagle, the Wedgetail and intended to have morphing control surfaces (self designed), Like my avatar says, think outside the sphere. Comments? Be kind please.

View attachment 92367
The bird of prey ? I think tail is not optimal.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Getting back to the original thread, I like the shoulder wing idea so I sat down and designed one. Based on the Australian Eagle, the Wedgetail and intended to have morphing control surfaces (self designed), Like my avatar says, think outside the sphere. Comments? Be kind please.

View attachment 92367
Keep going. Span, wing area, empty weight target, etc.

Ditch the dam nose wheel!

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
Ditch the dam nose wheel!
Sorry Jedi, not tailwheel endorsed. As for other specs, this is pure imagination at the moment so nothing has been calculated.

C-fred, true but that shape would be very hard "morphorsize", I'll think about it.

Now, I guess lots of you will be asking "why morphing control surfaces?" Well, my simple mind tells be you'd get a smother application of a c/s if the deflection is gradually introduced starting at the very tip. Plus, of course, there are no caps to fill or cover. Heavier than normal surfaces maybe, but not by much. More difficult to engineer and make for sure. Will the benefits outweigh building time and effort, only time would answer that.

lr27

Random thought that may nevertheless be relevant:
Seems like with the materials we have these days, long skinny wings could be practical and might allow smaller sweep angles. However, it's probably a good idea to have some kind of compression member rather than a notch between the leading edges at the root. Just in case you hit a ditch or something and lurch to a stop.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I took some dimensions from my model and would need to be rounded up or down foe easier production. I'm not an aero engineer so can't figure out C/L, C/G etc. Go for it if you know how.

View attachment 92435.......
Any photos of the model? I am particularly interested in the wing construction and the wing spar. Is it single or double spar, straight or swept, dihedral?

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
FWIW, I don't think the wedgetail/bunjil is the bird that your planform brings to mind, too much taper and curve to the wings. I'd go with a forward-swept constant-chord wing and raked wingtips, perhaps with some taper in the full-span ailerons, and a more wedge-shaped tail that did not reach all the way to the wing trailing edge.

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
Jedi, not a model yet, just a 3D drawing. I have tried to model the wings but will have to start again as the first attempt was a dismal failure.
Ir27 and Cfred, your comments may well be valid but I'n not going away from this basic design, workable or not.
This is where 2 threads cross over. Maybe this should be moved to the Dreamers thread. Mods?

lr27

Deskpilot:
I should hsve been clearer. My remark wasn't about your post but about the ongoing discussion about swept wings in general. Unless you want your project to look like an albatross. ;-)

It looks like your project has very thin wings. It will probably be better with thicker airfoils. Structurally, and probably aerodynamically as well.

There are a bunch of model airplane designs that look like hawks, eagles, seagulls, etc. They're hard to find, because everyone names their regular airplanes after birds. Maybe you"d find them helpful. There's a model named after a golden eagle on Outerzone, but it's not very convincing.

ultralajt

Out of production, but nice case of using glider wing sweept forward and side by side seats fuselage with engine in front. Othervise, it was TST-5
Czech wood construction.