Shoulder wing unpopularity

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Terminology comment here...my understanding is that "shoulder wing" implies a wing attached near but not at the top of the fuselage and "mid-wing" implies a wing attached near the vertical middle of the fuselage. At typical light aircraft scale, that puts a shoulder wing in line with the pilot's shoulders/head and usually means the pilot can see both above and below the wing by just moving his or her head. A mid-wing puts the wing closer to the pilot's belly button and looking under the wing is not an option. The TEAM Mini-MAX, for example, is definitely a mid-wing not a shoulder wing.

Reactions: BJC

dominique

Yes matthew I think so, and we can probably add that for the mid-wing, the wing is on the same axis as the propeller
Dom

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I love the Heath Baby Bullet, fantasized over the Flying & Glider Manual drawings like many of us, but it's not a shoulder wing. We do have other mid-wing threads....

cheapracer

Log Member
I love the Heath Baby Bullet, fantasized over the Flying & Glider Manual drawings like many of us, but it's not a shoulder wing. We do have other mid-wing threads....
This is now page 9. 160+ posts, there have been mid-wings, staggerwings, shrug wings and high wings presented by none other than the OP himself.

If you read the thread from the start, the OP is looking for planes/ideas that suit his criteria, as well as being enthusiastic about various type, not specifically a shoulder wing.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Just please do not forget it is placed in hangar flying.
Back to topic. Have found more on making Tailwind lsa on stall speed. Strojnik wing tips to make it stall att 48mph..

But no more info, than single pdf.

And up here - using lighter engine, bigger tail for lower speed and foil with spar on 1/3 of span - it should work. Or not ?

If normal Tailwinds have 0-360 and fuel tank in front...

cheapracer

Log Member
That's not a shoulder wing by any definition. That's a textbook mid wing. ...I think we're starting to just throw out random airplane pictures.
"low forward" shoulder wing .....

I think the 'tongue in cheek' part was missed, maybe a second cup of coffee? ..... :D

FritzW

Log Member
...don't blame me, the OP asked me (PM) if I had any more renderings of this one.

Straight spar wing, nothing tricky, even be easier than a forward swept wing. Main reason for the twin tail is to move some weight aft. Lot's of parts are set to either "hidden" or "transparent" to show the innards. Some parts are either missing (it's an old drawing) or haven't been drawn yet. ...you have to use your imagination for some of the detail.

Router Lark 2.JPG

Router Lark 3.JPG

Router Lark 4.JPG

Router Lark t.JPG

And, of course, it's all self jigging, tab and slot, etc.

Router Lark Cutaway 16.JPG

Router Lark Cockpit Module.JPG

cheapracer

Log Member
Main reason for the twin tail is to move some weight aft.
I was going to do a twin tail on Bob originally, but at the time felt there wasn't sufficient attachment area for the extra stresses involved of combined VS and HS, so I moved the VS back to the fuse, something to think about.

That was an earlier Bob, there is actually enough attachment area now, but I convinced myself to go with the 'normal' VS for other reasons.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
All I can say Fritz is that the paint scheme should be French or British with roundels as the design definitely seems to channel the Nord NC.850 series, maybe the Broussard, and definitely the Lysander. ;-)

FritzW

Log Member
the paint scheme should be French or British with roundels
...not my cup of Folgers. I'd paint it like this before I'd do that. (is anyone geeky enough to recognize these roundels? :popcorn:)

Router Lark BoS.JPG

the design definitely seems to channel the Nord NC.850 series, maybe the Broussard, and definitely the Lysander.
"Channeling" is a nice way to put it ;)

Lendo

Aeroworks,
Your right, It could be part of the front seat but I have a problem with not extending the Carry-through spar into a plate or Box that extends down to the floor of the Fuselage. I thought about a cutout for the feet, could be an issue, as well as not incorporating the lower fuselage corner into the Box or Plate.

Richard S, I like it and it's a Rotary - I'm guessing a rear Pusher. Also as seems to be dimensionally accurate.
George

Latest posts