Quantcast

Shooting at airplanes.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

PTAirco

Probation For Shooting At Airplane

I can't begin to describe how mad this makes me. This is attempted murder, nothing less and the guy gets off with an apology and probation??

Picture yourself in your driveway and because you don't like the noise your neighbor's car makes, you pull out a gun and fire several shots at him as drives by. "Just to scare him a little". What judge in his right mind wouldn't have thrown the guy in jail for several years? But because he shot at an airplane it is just a harmless bit of fun? "Say you're sorry and I'll let you off...." Poor marksmanship is a get-out-of-jail-free card in cases of attempted murder?

Wonder how the judge would have felt about it if he had been in the airplane?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty poor reporting, the article doesn't say what the shooter was actually charged with and if any of the shots actually hit the plane. But I agree he got off way too easy.

Perhaps the pilot should mention to the neighbor that he's restoring a "ground attack trainer" version of the Stearman, and be seen mounting machine guns on it... :)

There was a incident a few years ago where a guy was shooting at powered parachutes (again, nobody hurt). This was in the town where the big "Powrachute" fly-in is held each year. The shooter got probation... and five weeks in jail, to be served one week per year... the week of the annual fly-in.

I'm told the Goodyear blimps regularly come down with bullet holes in the envelope.

-Dana

Money can not buy happiness, but it’s more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than on a bicycle.

Battson

There is a large skydiving plane here (Cresco) that came back with bullet holes in it over the Christmas break. They were noticed during a between-jump "preflight" check, I think. Cops have been involved but the reporter said they wont really be doing much about it, they have no idea where or when the shot came from.

That is a big call by the cops, for a plane chock-a-block with a lot of people, jet fuel, hot bits, and sensitive parts.
I think there are people in town known to complain about the noise.

But like PT said - it's not so bad because they are harder to hit, right.... you have to wonder about the court system.

clanon

They have a blimp (advertising a dairy product line) flying all over the non friendly neighborhoods ; so the pilot was patching the thing every day
(because of the .22 holes in it)

PS:and a blimp is hard to miss...

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I was at McClellan AFB in near Sacramento many years ago when some yahoo decided to shoot at an HH-53 rescue helicopter one night with a hunting rifle. The crew had night vision goggles (not much public awareness of them back then) and were able to vector the local cops right to his house. The door gunners were disappointed, they were ready to do a little return fire with the minigun.

"I see your three rounds, dumbass, and raise you 500."

Last edited:

Apollo

...The crew had night vision goggles (not much public awareness of them back then) and were able to vector the local cops right to his house. The door gunners were disappointed, they were ready to do a little return fire with the minigun.
I think return fire would have been totally justified :devious:

We've had many instances of morons aiming powerful laser pointers at police helicopters, news choppers, and airliners inbound to LAX. At the right angle, the lasers can temporarily blind a pilot at night. The cops in LA don't fool around if you point a laser at a police helicopter. Several arrests have been made over the years. I don't know how severely they are prosecuted, but the stories make the news when someone gets arrested for it.

PS: The EAA hangar at Compton airport (in a bad neighborhood) has bullet holes from locals and drive-by shooters. We had to build a "bullet wall" six feet tall to ensure the safety of homebuilders inside the hangar.

Last edited:

PTAirco

if any of the shots actually hit the plane. But I agree he got off way too easy.
It shouldn't matter if he did or did not hit the airplane, he more or less admitted to shooting at the airplane. Even if he missed by a mile, he was still firing at the airplane. If he is stupid enough to do this, he is stupid enough to hit the pilot even if he was trying to miss.

tpelle

I recall a story once of a pilot who did a couple of tours in 'Nam and never got a scratch. After he left the service he got a job flying for an airline, and one day during a departure out of Detroit somebody nailed him in the leg.

TFF

There was a small local airport that the property owner at the end of the runway was shooting at airplanes. He was also the mayor or police chief too. He wanted the airport property to sell. He did not get caught and they closed the airport. The international airport here has all these noise abatement fences, but the first of the fences were put up because the gangsters were driving by and shooting at the FedEx planes on the ramp.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Several years ago, a friend of mine was instructing a student in a C-150 and received a round through the right wing strut.

Derswede

Solution:
http://www.harvsnews.com/sadler/sadlerair/piranhaman.pdf
You can cause a lot of damage with a 30mm canon.....
Dirty Harry in an Ultralight.

"A 30mm cannon is the most powerful weapon my bird can carry...and it will cut you in half...so go ahead punk, MAKE MY DAY!"

And I would love one of those Piranhas! Anyone note the folding wing and engine??? Chevy V-8 power.

And a gun!

One of the most important survivability factors results from the use of the McDonnell
Douglas M230LF 30mm cannon or equivalent long range standoff firepower. This weapon has a
maximum range of 4000 yards and is accurate enough at 3000 yards to provide almost total area
suppression of return fire. At this range, most return fire from the ground is ineffective.

Badges, we don need no stinkin badges...we got a 30mm cannon! (AKA a fully automatic dive brake)

don january

Log Member
Years ago my father told me he was hunting fox out of his Cub and when he landed in the field to gather up his kill he was on take off on ski's and there was a pickup with two person's in the back shooting at him. I always figured either dad got the fox first, or the land owner was out to teach a lesson. We have found what appeared to be a bullet hole in the rudder of the Pawnee, never did find out the truth behind that. Like most of you guy's if I catch someone taking shot's at my plane's I can "quren- goshdarn-teeya" I'd be the one going to jail. :uzi: