Replica home builts

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
A Blériot XI would be very cool.
And as "fun" to fly as the original, no doubt. I break a sweat just thinking about it. A lot of older airplanes flew in ways we'd very much consider "marginal" today. Caution is warranted in picking a really older design, especially for a novice pilot.

Tiger Tim

Appreciate the posts. Thank you.

I've always had a love affair with the 1928 Monocoupe 113 that hangs in the EAA museum.

View attachment 79090
If you’re interested in building two fuselages I’d be interested in doing two sets of wings (or whatever ratio of bits is fair). I don’t know if I could keep up with your pace but I adore early Monocoupes and I do have the chops to do aircraft wood.

cvairwerks

Looking at other pics there seems to be similar stuff going on with temporary numbering. The shots you posted seem to be at quite a distance. Maybe the pics were resized or processed to a different format? These things might make the pics look a bit manufactured. The weird way F16 canopies refract light makes the shots look even more artificial.

Sorry about the hasty judgement.

Rob
Is no sweat...At the time those were shot, (2003-2004), it was early in the digital world and I suspect they are actually scans of negatives and have been resized a time or two. The location they were shot from is public property and is at least 1000 feet from the side of the runway and close to 1500 feet from the taxiway. Couple it all with using some pretty long lenses and that the paint used distorts reflections and you can get some weird things happening.

As to the EX-AB designations, try the following manufacturer codes in the database look up:
056293F
You will find one is listed as R and D, but the other two are EX-AB

And you can pull up N161LM and it's the R and D one. N162LM and N163LM should show R and D also, but are deregistered.

lr27

lr27

P.S. I once ate in a restaurant that had a Velie Monocoupe hanging from the ceiling. I think it was in Pennsylvania

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Cavelamb drew up a nice little VW powered version. He might have some original drawings.
cavelamb on his Vwee Monocoupe:
https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26493&p=357913&viewfull=1#post357913
https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25958&p=346296&viewfull=1#post346296

Vwee Coupe1b.jpg

+1 on the Miles designs if you want to work in wood. I have often thought that about 7/8 scale Miles M.14 Magister or M.18 with optional open/enclosed cockpit and taildragger/tricycle gear would be a good project (all of those options actually built by Miles in at least experimental forms). There is also the very elegantly simple two-seat, side-by-side M.11 Whitney Straight among many others.

Tiger Tim

I love the TK-4 cutaways, they really show a composites-before-composites construction when you look at the balsa tail surface cores covered in thin plywood, or the crossed planking on the wing. Also, for those curious, I believe Elektron is a magnesium alloy.

Chilton

The TK-4 was a construction experiment as much as anything, killed a highly experienced test pilot and was reportedly a very hot little ship.

Elektron is a magnesiun alloy, widely used by DH a lot of prewar parts used it, generally replaced with aluminium alloys now. Burns very well!!

BJC

HBA Supporter
.. What designs exist that really would be neat to pursue? Spirit of St Louis? A rare racer? I'm not sure, I'm open to discussion. I'd even consider not flying it and donating it to a museum if it was far above my skill set. I'm after the challenge of it. The Gee Bee has been done a few times, so as much as I love that airplane it's not an option.

My only real requirement is that the fuselage is steel tube and fabric.
Steve built Samson Mite. You could build a scaled GB-R2, which has not been done AFAIK, with a Verner.

BJC

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Has anyone built a exact replica of a Folder DR1?

There's versions of WW1 airplanes but any of them exact like the manufacturer?

This is a fun topic to explore.

Group Builder