Quantcast

Replica home builts

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

crusty old aviator

Are you going with efi on your V8? SDS has made efi and ignition systems for this engine in aircraft before. Or if you’re handy with computers, you could go Megasquirt. My 215 is now a 265 after stroking it with an Olds 300 crankshaft.

crusty old aviator

I recently heard that the “replica” built in Florida was built to the original plans and that Matty Laird designated it serial number 2, making it an original, not a replica.
This is true, but she never flew. The late Ed Escallon spearheaded her construction in Florida while he was still at NASA-Kennedy, but when he moved to Indiana, the project slowed way down. The objective was to fly her at Oshkosh with Jimmy Doolittle watching. She still required about $5K in materials to get her flying when she was finally trucked from Florida to Hales Corners, but Paul was never into Golden Age racers, so he wouldn’t approve the funding to get her finished and flying for Oshkosh. He approved the fabrication of only a few fairings to prepare her for static display. It was a hollow celebration at Oshkosh of the Super Solution’s contribution to aviation. Jimmy was so disgusted with EAA, he never returned, nor spoke with Paul, again, and made a point of not mentioning it in his autobiography.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
If you go for the Monocoupe read the story of Tony LeVier's and the other one that was restorer. CG needed lead on Levier's and the other I believe had the engine moved from original.

Dieter

I had some email conversations with a DIETER SEDLBAUER from Australia about 15 years ago. He was building a P-39 replica and even sent me some photos of the project. An all metal version with a 2 cycle engine in the nose. That was in 2006 and i never heard from him again. Does anybody have an info on this project? I have attached some photos he sent me.

Dieter

I had some email conversations with a DIETER SEDLBAUER from Australia about 15 years ago. He was building a P-39 replica and even sent me some photos of the project. An all metal version with a 2 cycle engine in the nose. That was in 2006 and i never heard from him again. Does anybody have an info on this project? I have attached some photos he sent me.
My effort isn't a kit, but was developed from a set of giant scale RC plans. Truth in advertising, this is only a mockup that I originally put together about 20 years ago and have been dragging it around since then. Since we are in lockdown I decided to up grade the mockup and the photos are attached. i took out the Mazda rotary and put in a Buick/Rover 215 V8 as the powerplant and also installed a Casales marine redrive unit in the nose. I had the doors for years and installed them. The whole thing was painted yellow, I can't remember the logic that caused that to happen, so I repainted it a sort of aircraft primer green. It seems to look bigger in green. The scale is 70% and the original plans where 20% scale.

As a mockup it's useful to try out how everything fits. Unfortunately, it's still hanging from the ceiling, there's no floor space in the hangar, so I couldn't get into the cockpit. I've been there before and it's quite roomy. The doors are very small so the top of the canopy is hinged for access.
Thank you for the mention,1594331556321.png
Had my fun with it and put it away for time being. too many other projects on hand. BTW, engine installed is a V6 Toyota with North west aero redrive in nose.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Are you going with efi on your V8? SDS has made efi and ignition systems for this engine in aircraft before. Or if you’re handy with computers, you could go Megasquirt. My 215 is now a 265 after stroking it with an Olds 300 crankshaft.
I like the 215 engine. Had one in my 1968 VW Bug on a box frame. Don't know the HP. I had a 1962 Buick with the 4 barrel carb, headers and high energy ignition. My engine with the stock 4 barrel and stock exhaust is 195 hp. Maybe 210- 220 Hp, don't know. Nice power for a VW bug.
There was a 4 seat Bearhawk with the engine, don't know where its at now.

Starflight

Saskatchewan..."GO RIDERS"(pride)where's my banjo?
I know...horribly late for this posting, but wanted to answer the call for the original spec: "metal tube and fabric" with a rare; one only in European museum.
The Focke-Wulf FW 58 "Weihe" (Kite). Empty weight the same as an early Spitfire, but with airframe the size of a "Mosquito". It has single struts each side braced to the top of the fuselage and two inverted air-cooled V-8 Argus 240 h.p. engines with decent performance and 500 mile range; a giant twin engine VP-2...lol

Starflight

Saskatchewan..."GO RIDERS"(pride)where's my banjo?
Sorry Cluttonfred,
But I cannot remember the exact name of the Canadian who offered to sell plans for ultalight replicas or AT-6 Harvard and P-39 Airacobra. He was from one of the prairie provinces.
he built and flew prototypes of at least three different ultralights, but we have not heard from him over the last decade.
Sounds like Dave Jacobson from St. Andrews, Manitoba. He built the original U/L "Beach Boy" stagger wing replica back in the early '80s.

crusty old aviator

I like the 215 engine. Had one in my 1968 VW Bug on a box frame. Don't know the HP. I had a 1962 Buick with the 4 barrel carb, headers and high energy ignition. My engine with the stock 4 barrel and stock exhaust is 195 hp. Maybe 210- 220 Hp, don't know. Nice power for a VW bug.
There was a 4 seat Bearhawk with the engine, don't know where its at now.
My 3/4 scale P6E has the Olds 215, stroked with an Olds 300 crank (makes it about 265 ci). I’m now modifying a fuel injected Rover 3.9 fuel intake manifold, etc. to fit inside the cowl, and will install SDS efi and ignition systems. The 4.2 Rover powered Bearhawk is in Canada (near Winnipeg, maybe), and has over 2000 hours on her now. The builder’s son has been very helpful with providing good information for my conversion.

billyvray

My 3/4 scale P6E has the Olds 215, stroked with an Olds 300 crank (makes it about 265 ci). I’m now modifying a fuel injected Rover 3.9 fuel intake manifold, etc. to fit inside the cowl, and will install SDS efi and ignition systems. The 4.2 Rover powered Bearhawk is in Canada (near Winnipeg, maybe), and has over 2000 hours on her now. The builder’s son has been very helpful with providing good information for my conversion.
Please post pics of your P6E !

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
2000 hrs on the engine sounds great. How big of displacement can the Rover be built ? Did I read somewhere that it can be built up to 350 ci ?

Victor Bravo

Is that the one that was built at Santa Paula airport in california? I saw a replica there a few years ago.

You fly it daily? And it lives in that box? How long does it take you to rig it each day for flight? I thought we had it bad as glider pilots....

crusty old aviator

I can't take much credit for her, other than hauling her across the continent in a Penske truck to rescue her and get her airborne. She was built by Joe Locasto, in Santa Clara, CA. He used Curtiss drawings and scaled them down, and cursed the whole time that he didn't build a 70% or 80% scale, because that .05% is a real PItA after a while! This box is just large enough for me to get in and around her and finish up the last 10% of her construction. and it's about 300 feet from the house. It's not as bad as a Cobra trailer...
I'm not sure how big Rover engines get, especially in ci's, as Rover is all metric, coming from the UK. The PSRU uses a planetary gear and is based on a Corvair PSRU that was popular back in the late 60's/mid-70's, and came out of Michigan. I'm still machining shafts for it.
The hours may vary was a parody of what they put in ads on Barnstormers...

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I was going to start off suggesting the Caproni Ca.60, but that would surely break the budget. Here is a possible list:

V-173
Any of the Phillips Multiplanes
Langley Aerodrome
DePischoff Avionette
Rohm 2-175

crusty old aviator

Langley aerodrome??? One that will fly or hang from the ceiling?
How about the Lee-Richards annular monoplane: that would bring them out of the FBO...

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Several of the Marcel Jurca warbird replicas (not the all-wood sport types) have optional welded steel tube fuselages. The Jurca site is back up with a large catalog free to download and plans are available again, but the warbird plans sets cost $1,500 each. Despite the preview below, the site is in French and English.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Given the complexity of those aircraft (including optional retractable gear) and the extensive plans, I don’t think the cost is unreasonable, just wanted to point out that few people would be interested at that price unless committed to the build.

Reactions: BJC