Replica home builts

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

crusty old aviator

Are you going with efi on your V8? SDS has made efi and ignition systems for this engine in aircraft before. Or if you’re handy with computers, you could go Megasquirt. My 215 is now a 265 after stroking it with an Olds 300 crankshaft.

crusty old aviator

I recently heard that the “replica” built in Florida was built to the original plans and that Matty Laird designated it serial number 2, making it an original, not a replica.
This is true, but she never flew. The late Ed Escallon spearheaded her construction in Florida while he was still at NASA-Kennedy, but when he moved to Indiana, the project slowed way down. The objective was to fly her at Oshkosh with Jimmy Doolittle watching. She still required about $5K in materials to get her flying when she was finally trucked from Florida to Hales Corners, but Paul was never into Golden Age racers, so he wouldn’t approve the funding to get her finished and flying for Oshkosh. He approved the fabrication of only a few fairings to prepare her for static display. It was a hollow celebration at Oshkosh of the Super Solution’s contribution to aviation. Jimmy was so disgusted with EAA, he never returned, nor spoke with Paul, again, and made a point of not mentioning it in his autobiography.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
If you go for the Monocoupe read the story of Tony LeVier's and the other one that was restorer. CG needed lead on Levier's and the other I believe had the engine moved from original.