Quantcast

Peter does it again

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TarDevil

I think that he was there only as an outreach effort to the You Tube crowd. i.e., in an effort to interest young people in sport aviation. Had the “airplane” been looked at with any real scrutiny for design and construction, it would have been severely criticized.
He readily admitted the shortcomings.

Doran Jaffas

Wow .. as an older guy who has been in aviation all of his life literally and has been a licensed pilot, been a test pilot, with several ratings in endorsements for 36 + years and,I'm embarrassed to say I guess at this point I don't use much anymore because I am content to fly my personal aircraft I would like to add my .02 here...
This debate over one particular individual has gotten pretty nasty with some of the comments and personally I don't think those do anyone any good as far as promoting Aviation here regardless of how good or bad someone's YouTube videos are. there are people on here exploring Aviation for the first time and frankly if they read some of these comments they are going to more than likely be turned off. That is worse than anyone's video could be. supposedly, most of us on here are experienced builders and aviators so let's watch what we say to the general public because they are looking and reading. our opinions are one thing but please do not stay thin aspect because no one on here I would bet knows the individual being talked about personally. I aviate because it is a passion of mine.
All of us AV8 because we enjoy it I hope anyway. Some do AV8 because they think it's cool and those usually do not last long in the aviation.
For those of you that are experienced builders and yes test pilots weather you have gone to college or not you have a certain amount of skill and wisdom that you can pass on. Do it willingly and with compassion then cut the criticism of those less fortunate than you to have the wisdom and skills you do. Criticize if you must but do it correctly in with the intent of correction not condemnation.
As a general rule I do not get involved and derogatory comments regarding another individual and some of these on here are very good but again whether you agree will the individual mentioned or what are you don't please use caution and how you speak of him and what he is doing. You would want no less courtesy and respect.
I am 59 years old and have been a part of building and test flying several airplanes including factory built after a major crash that have been repaired because someone thanks I'm old enough to know what I'm doing. I hope they are right. So far neither I or the airplanes have come out in bad shape. Should my age, and I do not say I am old because I do not feel that way ,,Aviation is something that brings a smile to my face every time I open the hangar door. whether I am flying anywhere or just going up to put some distance between myself and the ground and hang out with my Ariel friend makes no difference. The smile is the same, the passion is there, the feeling of being alive and truly living is most present and I am truly grateful to be able to do this and have the skills to do it safely. It is an opportunity and a blessing that I I hope I can pass on in a positive way to others who have that spark. please let's remember to do this the way we do it with compassion and in a way that inspires others.

Doran Jaffas

My apologies, I thought I'd caught most of the errors in the voice text but I didn't but I hope you get the general idea. I'm at work right now and do not have time to go in and edit.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
The planes are rubbish, period, and don't deserve the title of airplane. They are mere vehicles to gain profit via Youtube numbers. No one is going to fly any of those pieces of junk any reasonable distance or hours worth noting, other than the few minutes he needs to rake in some Youtube money.
Boy, all the negativity here reminds me of all the ultralight haters in the early days, pilots looking down their noses at them because they weren't "real" airplanes... while the ultralighters ignored the "real" pilots and went right on having fun. Peter is, in many ways, recreating that early ultralight path, from simple, cheap, barely flies, moving toward more sophisticated and capable aircraft, learning (and having a lot of fun!) along the way. Not too different from Mark Stull, who kept building "impractical" airplanes just for the fun of it.

As for his YouTube videos, he likes to share what he's done. It just one young viewer gets the idea that wow, people can actually DO such things then he's done more good in this world than a hundred guys working privately in their garages. If he's making money from it, great... video editing is a lot of work.

From an engineering standpoint, his designs are crude, even laughably so... not surprising, he's a kid. But I also see some genuinely clever thinking in some of his design details. I hope he's studying engineering, because he'll be a good one. As an engineer approaching retirement age, I would love to work with a young engineer as innovative and enthusiastic as Peter.

Doran Jaffas

Boy, all the negativity here reminds me of all the ultralight haters in the early days, pilots looking down their noses at them because they weren't "real" airplanes... while the ultralighters ignored the "real" pilots and went right on having fun. Peter is, in many ways, recreating that early ultralight path, from simple, cheap, barely flies, moving toward more sophisticated and capable aircraft, learning (and having a lot of fun!) along the way. Not too different from Mark Stull, who kept building "impractical" airplanes just for the fun of it.

As for his YouTube videos, he likes to share what he's done. It just one young viewer gets the idea that wow, people can actually DO such things then he's done more good in this world than a hundred guys working privately in their garages. If he's making money from it, great... video editing is a lot of work.

From an engineering standpoint, his designs are crude, even laughably so... not surprising, he's a kid. But I also see some genuinely clever thinking in some of his design details. I hope he's studying engineering, because he'll be a good one. As an engineer approaching retirement age, I would love to work with a young engineer as innovative and enthusiastic as Peter.
Another $0.02 worth here.
He is building airplanes based on his modeling experience. I watched an SE5A being built from scaled-up model airplanes because the plans this individual got were basically junk.
that was years ago in the airplane built from those model airplane plans became an airplane that could be in any museum and is still flying today.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
In the early to mid 50's I was a new preteen or teanager. The kid ahead of me in the barber's chair was talking about how he had read about building a small inexpensive airplane and what he was planning to build. He would use a small industrial motor and make a small wood and fabric airplane and fly it from a farm field.

My dad had purchased a shiny brand new all metal Cessna 170 B and had many aviation magazines that I had read. I also had a few hours in the back seat and at least one or two in the front so I knew about aviation. I knew what he was proposing would never work but refrained from saying anything.

It was not until 20+ years later when the ultralights became popular that I realized he really did know something about aviation! By then I was an airline pilot and had graduated to the group that "don't know nothing bout real flyn".

I still have a lot to learn. It's why I'm here!

Last edited:

FritzW

Log Member
I don't think his goals are quite that noble. He's a professional youtube content provider, he's just as likely to put out videos about making homemade flame throwers that look like giant bbq lighters. I sure hope he's not inspiring young viewers to think "wow, people can actually DO such things".

I don't see him as a brave young aviation visionary. I see him as a grown man grasping at ideas for new content so he can keep his youtube job. ...some of those ideas are good, some of them are bad.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't mean that his goals are to inspire others, that's a side benefit. But I don't think he originally started building things just to make youtube content; rather, I get the impression that he does these things for fun, shares his life online as many young people do, and has found that he can make money doing it. More power to him. It's better than some talentless celebrity bimbo twerking and showing off her silicone enhancements.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Peter reminds me of myself when I was about 17-18 years old. If there was utube back at that time, I would have been doing the same thing. I did make some spare money doing some work for Carl Goldberg in his model airplane kit business.
More power to Peter, maybe in 10 years from now, you will be thinking of buying one of his homebuilt airplane kits.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
If aviation gets a hundred new young people interested in flying, homebuilding, ultralights, etc. because of a professional youtube guy who is only in it for the money, then what of it? A clever young guy made money and aviation got a hundred new participants. That's a !#* lot better than a news network making money by assassinating Chuck Slusarczyk's character and livelihood, and taking hundreds of participants out of aviation.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Whether or not Peter Stripol makes YouTube videos is really far off-topic for a discussion of his latest airplane design. YouTube is very much "the" way to disseminate this kind of information today, and Peter is simply a man of his time. That he makes money off his videos is also not relevant. The fact that he does some "crazy stuff" on some of his videos to drum up viewership isn't germane to this discussion either.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
I don't think his goals are quite that noble. He's a professional youtube content provider, he's just as likely to put out videos about making homemade flame throwers that look like giant bbq lighters. I sure hope he's not inspiring young viewers to think "wow, people can actually DO such things".

I don't see him as a brave young aviation visionary. I see him as a grown man grasping at ideas for new content so he can keep his youtube job. ...some of those ideas are good, some of them are bad.
Woe, Fritz, I figured if anyone were on his side it would be you as your such a prolific designer. Yet you do vet your designs properly before moving to building or inspiring others to build so see that side too.

Anyhow, everything peter is doing can be viewed from both sides. Yes he is promoting aviation and likely getting others interested in aviation as well. But on the flipside if people try and emulate his ideas and ways of doing things than that could be dangerous. There is no Nancy Reagan anymore telling people on youtube things are offensive or dangerous so its a bit of a free for all.. :) And as a nation we have not become any more willing to accept our own responsibility when things go wrong. Look at all the great designs we cant have in the USA since designers fear for litigation. My guess is its only a matter of time before peter is attempted ot be sued sadly.

Now with the above said, I think what he is doing is a net plus for aviation and likely more so for kit and homebuilt aviation. Yes he uses youtube and gets paid, but as Topaz said its the times we are in and its the medium that is greatly used to disseminate info nowadays. Everything from the flamethrower lighter Fritz mentioned to how to fix your dishwasher when it breaks.

A few years ago, I mentored 3 highschool kids recruited from Young Eagles to finish the build of a Cygnet SF2a and I taught them how to use all the shop tools in the EAA hangar, how to read blueprints and also how to use solidworks. Also incorporated 3D printing when it was in its infancy to design jig fixtures for welding. The kids worked with me for 3 years and of the 3, two went off to college to pursue careers in aviation. Neither had any interest other than "hey they are giving free airplane rides next week" and in the end it fostered an interest in aviation. Of all the people on here giving negative comments on Peters accomplishments even if a bit shoddy, what have you done to foster aviation in your community? I am not singling out anyone here, but not everyone pays it forward and in some ways Peter is laying the groundwork to get the spark going and then that may turn into a parent finding young eagles or just visiting an airfield and now it's up to us to keep the path alive to embrace new interest. it is all a similar ends to a mean and if that is more people choose to learn to fly or go to school to design aircraft than that is good for us as a whole.

jedi

That's a lot better than a news network making money by assassinating Chuck Slusarczyk's character and livelihood, and taking hundreds of participants out of aviation.
I don’t get it. I saw the show and have heard Chucks stories. If anyone was discredited I would be on Mr. Wainfan’s defense. If necessary PM me.
Oh. I get it now! Wrong show. Sorry.

PS. But they probably saved a lot of lives too.

I found this picture in my inbox a half hour ago. It was sent by the student that flew me into the same airport last week.
1592427814938.jpeg

Note: “the aircraft experienced the stall”. I wonder where the pilot was during the go around.

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Peter reminds me of myself when I was about 17-18 years old. If there was utube back at that time, I would have been doing the same thing. I did make some spare money doing some work for Carl Goldberg in his model airplane kit business.
More power to Peter, maybe in 10 years from now, you will be thinking of buying one of his homebuilt airplane kits.
Same here. I grew up in a time and place where normal teenage boys would be building match head rockets and pipe bombs, with no intent more nefarious than setting them off in an old sandpit just to see how big a bang it would make. And yeah, I built a flamethrower once, too. I bet many of the Apollo engineers had a similar background to mine.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Same here. I grew up in a time and place where normal teenage boys would be building match head rockets and pipe bombs, with no intent more nefarious than setting them off in an old sandpit just to see how big a bang it would make. And yeah, I built a flamethrower once, too. I bet many of the Apollo engineers had a similar background to mine.
Being on a farm, I got to play with dynamite. I have a chapter in my book I have been writing for several years about playing with dynamite when I was 12 years old. Ever go dynamite or carbide fishing ?

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I was with a mentor when I was young. He used an m-80. Effective but off topic.
I lit a m-80 and it didn't go off, so I took my pocket knife and cut it open in the middle and broke it open to about a 45 deg angle and lit the power to watch it sparkle. It went off in my hand. I was holding it with my finger tips on each end. Both hands were numb and couldn't hear anything for a day or so.
In high school, a buddy and I would sell m-80's for a high profit. Just had to make sure we sold them quick before they were used and the police came.

Last edited:

jedi

I was with a mentor when I was young. He used an m-80. Effective but off topic.
My neighbor down the street used M 80s in shop class as power for explosive forming aluminum ash trays.
How many hot spots does that hit today?
I was in the pipe bomb brigade but specialized in methane and other LTA balloons.
Most of those were successful but I blew up a pressure can in the wash tub while trying to make a jet/rocket engine. Flattened that can against the side of the tub pretty good when the bottom blew out. It must have been going at a good clip when it hit.

Last edited:

FritzW

Log Member
It's better than some talentless celebrity bimbo twerking and showing off her silicone enhancements.
...we could debate that <lol>

Woe, Fritz, I figured if anyone were on his side it would be you...
I am on his side, more power to him. I really like what he's trying to do with airplanes. There are a lot good elements in his designs, ...and some bad ones also. My point was: I think he's just as likely to inspire young people to try and make a living by lighting their farts on a youtube video as build airplanes. ;)