Peter does it again

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tench745

His designs are starting to reflect my personal biases toward ultralight/aircraft design. Now if only I was experienced enough to know if that's a good thing! :D

TFF

Number four.
Although some stuff is not to my liking, he is a Mark Stull type. Getting it done, learning, and flying his own stuff.
I saw the biplane at Oshkosh for only a minute, with a non UL person. There is nothing wrong with the concept and really it was more cutting edge than anything next to it that had not been cutting edge for thirty years. So a 20 year old made it. The real statement is really; So, a twenty year old made it, and you haven’t made anything. Make something.

Geraldc

I like the use of tube for the cabin and wood for the rest.
A blend of safety and economy.

radfordc

I like that he chose to go with 2 axis control. I flew a Quicksilver MX for several years and really like the way it handled. This is sort of a 21st century Skypup.

Reactions: 103

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Can you imagine if he started building using conventional materials and practices? That may not happen, he's probably making a fair amount of money from the online videos, and the audience for that doesn't care about what works best.

Reactions: BJC

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Well, he used wood and 4130 on this one, both pretty common. I thought the blend of materials to take advantage of their different properties was pretty cool.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
My only gripe is unsure why he chose to put the elevator on the bottom of the fuselage instead of the top. On the bottom it rubs the grass and will be taken out for sure and damage the aft wooden structure. Really odd choice in my opinion. Also with a Vitorazi in Tractor config its also an odd choice. I Have a Vitorazi in the Zigolo and thought if I ever wanted to repourpose it could it work in tractor and traded a few emails back with the factory. I received a reply as absolutely not recommended. Figured if I ever did it, I would need to design my own PSRU. I also think that 2 axis is nice but it does limit the types of weather it can be flown in and UL's already are restricted weather wise so that kind of sucks. But for simplicity sake, its likely a good thing.

TFF

Very Ugly Stickish tail. My tail dragger Sticks in grass took more effort to get the tail out of the grass. For simple models like the Stick it’s an easy incidence set, just make the bottom flat and follow it back. Teenie Too is somewhat like that.

ScaleBirdsScott

While there are a few things I think ought to see some revision, he's got it pretty close. I agree throwing something like a Legal Eagle tail on there would really lock it in.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I like it! It would be great to have Peter to log in here again and comment.

I didn't catch it in the video, but perhaps the horizontal tail is also removable to facilitate trailering? That would be made easier if it weren't sharing mount points with the vertical fin. The low position is reminiscent of early model airplanes, where the horizontal stabilizer was mounted with rubber bands, just like the wing. It does have the obvious drawback of dragging in the grass, as has been pointed out.

Hephaestus

Weight savings? Look at the tail wheel - it's definitely not turf compatible normally. Structurally it is simplest, control runs are simple.

Maybe the plan is stol like technique for takeoff? Get the tail up immediately so it doesn't drag? Landing drop it into the grass as a brake?

Latest posts