Peter does it again

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

radfordc

My only gripe . I also think that 2 axis is nice but it does limit the types of weather it can be flown in and UL's already are restricted weather wise so that kind of sucks. But for simplicity sake, its likely a good thing.
I found that having two axis controls did not limit my flying anymore than that ultralight planes aren't suitable for high winds anyway. The main issue is cross wind...two axis planes have to crab into a cross wind and often touchdown in a crab. For a tricycle gear (Quicksilver or Ercoupe) this isn't a big deal. For a taildragger it can cause trouble. The technique is to takeoff/land at an angle to the runway and into the wind as much as possible. The higher the wind velocity the greater angle to the runway is possible; given a 100 foot wide runway and a 15 mph crosswind its possible land directly across the runway. Flying in winds up to 15mph is safe though not always comfortable in a very light plane. I have flown a Quicksilver in 20 mph wind but don't think it was a smart thing to do.

crusty old aviator

Let’s wait to see what he mounts under the tail for a skid or spring/wheel before we blubber on about his mowing the lawn with the horizontal tail...

Reactions: BJC

Enalpria

FYI, his latest UL has a T-tail.
I think that is the aircraft that started the discussion.
I also agree with his choice of methods and materials, which almost anyone can procure easily and at a decent cost.
Furthermore, at least he is building and flying something, which is more than I
can say for myself at the moment since
I'm still in the design phase of my project(and at twice his age)
Just imagine what he will be doing in the next 10-20 years.....

FritzW

Log Member
Let’s wait to see what he mounts under the tail for a skid or spring/wheel
I don't know if it's his final configuration but you can see the tailwheel several times in the video.

Mounting the stab on the top would have allowed him to keep the lower longerons straight -and in one piece-, which would have several benefits. I wouldn't have done it the way he did but it's not my airplane. ...more power to him.

I think what he's doing doing is great, I just hope the pressure to generate timely youtube content doesn't get him hurt.

Enalpria

Oops, I was just watching his videos yesterday and thought the T-tail was the MK 4, ok, I am a couple cans short of a six pack, Sorry!
Man he sure keeps busy building airplanes.

Michael Silvius

My only gripe is unsure why he chose to put the elevator on the bottom of the fuselage instead of the top. On the bottom it rubs the grass and will be taken out for sure and damage the aft wooden structure. Really odd choice in my opinion. Also with a Vitorazi in Tractor config its also an odd choice. I Have a Vitorazi in the Zigolo and thought if I ever wanted to repourpose it could it work in tractor and traded a few emails back with the factory. I received a reply as absolutely not recommended. Figured if I ever did it, I would need to design my own PSRU. I also think that 2 axis is nice but it does limit the types of weather it can be flown in and UL's already are restricted weather wise so that kind of sucks. But for simplicity sake, its likely a good thing.
He used the Vitorazi as that is what he had from the previous project. He openly admits the pull configuration is the big unknown. If possible reversing the thrust bearing in the PSRU might be the solution. Then again that is why it is called experimental aviation. As to the limitations of the 2 axis control he did state his objective is to fly with his PPG friends on calm evenings. He has an Aerolite 103 for other times.
MS

Wild Bill

That empennage configuration stands out to me. I know he probably put the horizontal on the bottom with a single brace for simplicity. But this looks weak to me. That stab doesn’t have a lot of bending or torsional strength.
For a slow UL it may work ok. Me personally though, I wouldn’t be comfortable with it.
With my luck the leading edge of that stab would try to flutter. If it does, the flying is over.
Have to give peter an A for effort and determination. He’s doing what I would do if I was 20 yrs old with time and resources.

cheapracer

Log Member
I'm bitter sweet on this one.

Happy for him he is getting better at building planes, but disappointed that he is also getting more and more conventional.

Can't see he has done much better than a lightweight Mini Max here.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Part of his project was the exercise of not using someone else's design. I'm guessing this was primarily for the purpose of the online video audience and their level of interest/engagement. The YouTube/Patreon/GoFundMe public is not as interested in watching someone build an example of an existing design as they are for something he cooked up himself.

He might be building an IO-550 powered Bearhawk off-camera with the money he's making off of building funky looking foam and tape ultralights on camera :)

(nothing would please me more...)

radfordc

Happy for him he is getting better at building planes, but disappointed that he is also getting more and more conventional.

What happens when you experiment and iterate ideas? Often you find yourself going toward more efficient and practical designs....which also tends to be what others have found to work.

Speedboat100

Banned

He ought to get a lesson series at fluid dynamics to get the mojo going for new ideas ?

Latest posts