Quantcast

Peter does it again

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
What day in August? We’re celebrating! Many of my favorite people have birthdays in August. There’s gotta be a science behind this.
08/22/40 Good model year. Always loved the 1940 Ford Coupe.

Yep-- God looked down and said "poor souls need extra help" :)

Getting the JMR inspected by the FAA on July 7. Would be nice to make the first test flight on my 80th birthday, but, I don't want to wait that long.
What do I do ?

rtfm

Personally, I find Peter's videos of his constructions/flying most entertaining. And inspiring. Good on him. I have to say, however, that the extremely harsh criticism directed at both the man and his efforts is uncalled for. Give it a break, those of you who have indulged in this old-man, finger-pointing, better-than-thou attitude. He's a young guy with balls. We were probably all like that 50 years ago. Give him a break.

PMD

Getting the JMR inspected by the FAA on July 7. Would be nice to make the first test flight on my 80th birthday, but, I don't want to wait that long.
What do I do ?
Ah....you make me feel like a kid again, Pops. It is our 50th on 4rth of July, and I too feel like the luckiest SOB on this planet. But, before you get to thinking you're an old guy: my skiing partner turned 98 on the last ski weekend of the year. He has started slowing down the last 3 years, but the honour and privilege of knowing someone from the greatest generation still comes to me every time we meet (and I hear stories from occupied Europe that I can't repeat in polite company!!!)

wwalton

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Yeah August for me too Pops 08/23/69 quite a few nice models in 69 but I always think of Woodstock and VW buses. Oh and Apollo rockets.
I have a gun powder rocket story too. Used some Hercules green dot from the shotgun reloader and stuffed a metal ballpoint pen body full and lit it off. Had an expansion chamber fault. No permanent damage to me....luckily.
Must be in our DNA to play with that stuff.

robertl

What do I do ?
How about a parachute jump !

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
How about a parachute jump !
Funny you should say that. Shortly after getting married a friend of mine had about a hundred jumps and I ask about making the first jump. The first jump has to be the hardest to do and not knowing what to expect. So I was thinking about joining the club. Wife got wind of it. She said NO , big time. So I never did jump. Fast forward to 30 years latter, my hanger neighbor had a sky-diving club and a C-182 ( with the big engine stc) and a Beech 18 jump airplanes. I helped keep both in the air and got to fly them some. Loved the B-18. I would tell all 10 sky-divers in the B-18 that there wasn't enough of them to get me out the door.
But for some reason I have been thinking about it. Maybe when I get old.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I had a 1966 split window VW camper bus that I drove to OSH for many years, pulling a small foldout camper. Wife and me and at the time 3 young children. They grew up going to OSH each year. We had great fun traveling all over the U.S. in that bus. We would pack the bus up with food, etc and hit the road not knowing were we might go. Just spend a few weeks having fun.

DaveK

I’m glad he is doing this, YouTube or not. Too many of my 20 something employees and to a lesser extent The 40-50 crowd couldn’t build anything. They are afraid to try, are amazed that anyone knows how to make something themselves, and frankly are scarred of stupid things. Peter is refreshing, he is young and can make stuff and happily tries new things. Maybe it’s not 100%, but it’s something.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member

What do I do ?
I missed your birthday, Happy Birthday!

BrianW

A very good looking ultralight
I was enthralled! I loved the wing technique. Hot wired I expect. But what was the caulk he used? Spars unbonded, so he could cut, pull, and add a stretched spar and wing section?
Why is nobody remarking on this expeditious method? Or is it me?

Speedboat100

He hasn't spent 12 years of designing and searching like I have...It helps..going into a store and bying the gorilla glue and start glueing.