Chilton DW-1 build in NZ

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tiger Tim

That Chilton is going to be gorgeous when it's done. Thanks for the pics and don't be afraid to keep em coming.

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
Well it has been ages since I posted any updates for the Chilton, John is making good progress and it should be flying before Christmas ;);)

When I dropped in he was working on the aluminium gap seals for where the outer wing panels join on.

All the nose cowl panels are made but need too final fitted and hinged/joined

Not much to go now

Attachments

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
That's going to look very nice! And I think that VW engine is perfectly appropriate for a Chilton.
As much as an inline engine just looks right on the Chilton, I think the VW is going to look right at home there, too.

My only concern is that, in its present state, it looks like there is nothing to direct any cooling air downward through the heads (fins around the exhaust ports). I know many VWs have flown that way, but I don't think I could get away with that here in Texas.

Autodidact

I like the inline engine best, too, but the original engine was the Carden Ford and it was an auto conversion, so in a way the VW engine is right for it too. I think the main thing it needs is period detailing, like the hand formed aluminum cowling (kudos to Lynn Williams for starting that trend).

jm.gray

Thanks guys for the complimentary comments about my Chilton. They give me quite an uplift when things get a little complicated and frustrating.

The advice concerning the airflow is well given and accepted. I am at the moment drawing up a design for two scoops to allow the airflow to flow over and down between the front and back cylinders.
I want them to look part of the cowling rather than just tacked on. I agree that operating the VW in Texas would literally stretch it to its cooling limits. Down here in New Zealand we have much better
climate to operate an air cooled engine. although it is still advisable to have the air-cooling very carefully worked out.

jm.gray

to the guys residing in Texas [fly2kads] We down here in NZ can only appreciate the devastation on our tv screens and cannot latch on to the massive destruction of property of the wind and the massive amount of water dropped from the heavens. Please accept my best wishes and all the luck that comes your way.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Thank you. It has been a truly incredible event. We are used to the occasional hurricane, and are prepared to deal with them, but this storm has been an entirely different matter. I am far enough inland to have had only a modest amount of rain. My best friend lives on the northwest side of Houston and got roughly four feet of rain. He got lucky, as his neighborhood drained well and became an island, and he had enough food on hand to feed his family. He has a lot of friends and co-workers nearby that weren't so lucky, and had to be evacuated by boat and by helicopter. It will likely be many months before their homes are inhabitable again. We will be dealing with the aftermath for a long time to come.

I know we have other members here from that area, and I wish them well.

Flitzer

That's a very beautiful Chilton, and regarding the installation of a horizontally-opposed engine, there have been successful precedents, aesthetically speaking.

On the Flitzer drawings there are small 'trip' baffles shown between the fore and aft cylinder pairs to provide sufficient airflow over the known hot spots. Combined with the standard VW cylinder baffles these have effectively kept things cool. Internal exhaust pipe sections are wrapped with heat-shielding tape and an oil cooler is fitted.

Best of luck with your gorgeous aeroplane!

jm.gray

Thanks for that

Referring to the air cooling. I take on board your comments referring to the baffles between the cylinders and do realise their effect.
So far cooling has been o.k. One problem did arise with the fuel being not sufficient at full power. It being gravity fed to the carb. underneath
the engine. A mechanical pump has been installed next to where the distributor would have been. The engine electrics are by two mags.
So distributor not being needed. Though it would be a good back up.

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
Do you have any more pictures or videos? I’m building a Chilton and would love to see anything you have. Thanks!

Latest posts

Group Builder