Chilton DW-1 build in NZ

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
Here are a few pictures of the Chilton build at the local airfield. (The first one is an idea of the finished product:gig:)

The build progress is going ahead at a great rate of knots so I will try to get more pictures as things progress. As soon as John (the builder, not Bob) gets the wheels it might get rolled out of the hanger for more photos.

Cameo by Bernie.

Shannon.

Attachments

Autodidact

Oh fantastic! I LOVE the Chilton! I have at least 3 or 4 single seat monoplanes zooming around in my head and they're all inspired by the Chilton. If it were metal, it would be perfect (unless you like wood more, then it is perfect).

Are those white spacers under the wing fitting plates corian or something?

PTAirco

These really are nice little aeroplanes; I was lucky enough to see two flying at Old Warden, at the Shuttleworth collection a couple of weekends ago. The red one was powered by the original Carden Ford conversion, the blue one had twice the horsepower from a Walter Mikron (65 hp, 4 cyl., inline). The Carden powered version did climb a little slow but seemed to have a fairly brisk top speed.

Pity about the blurred shots - something about panning a digital camera with image stabilization I don't know about?

Attachments

steveair2

Log Member
Wow! These kind of pictures are what we need more of. They inspire me to keep up progress on my build. Picture two in post three changed my mind about what I thought about the DW-1. Thanks for the cool pictures guys!

MadRocketScientist

A couple more pictures. Almost ready to be able to roll it around on the wheels.

John is in the first picture. I have other pictures of him but he was concentrating hard building his plane so they might be a bit less than flattering. He has been keen on flying for a long time and was in the UK at the airshow when the Vulcan bomber did a roll. He also doesn't want anyone to know his phone number so here it is 0800 83 83....:gig::gig:

Shannon.

Attachments

steveair2

Log Member
Very cool! Can you tell me what wheels John has on his project? I tried calling him, he didn't answer.

steveair2

Log Member
Oh, thanks. I was looking to replace the wheel barrow wheels that are on my plane now. I can't find any aluminum wheel borrow wheels.

TheOldKnight

Hey MadRocketScientist!

How's the build going on? :)
I'm about to start my own project and am very interested in how you're doing.

Best regards,
TheOldKnight

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Here is a picture of one of the wheels, these are really lightweight for the size. I am sure I have seen similar ones on other planes around the airfield but I haven't been paying much attention to the wheels:gig:

Shannon.
Does it have brake rotors bolted to those wheels? or is this old school?

santosmont

That is a very nice air racing bird. I am just curious about the Airfoil NACA used in the Chilton DW.1 (1937)
It seems be used an Semi-symmetrical, something like Clark-Y or similar, once is an British airplane probably any RAF semi-symmetrical airfoil makes sense. If so, which one is used?
Thanks for help!

MadRocketScientist

There has been a bit more progress on the Chilton build, I hadn't been out there for ages so not a lot of updates.

The outer wing panel are also made and can be fitted but they were not on site.

Shannon.

Attachments