Chilton DW-1 build in NZ

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tony Spezio

Thank you. It has been a truly incredible event. We are used to the occasional hurricane, and are prepared to deal with them, but this storm has been an entirely different matter. I am far enough inland to have had only a modest amount of rain. My best friend lives on the northwest side of Houston and got roughly four feet of rain. He got lucky, as his neighborhood drained well and became an island, and he had enough food on hand to feed his family. He has a lot of friends and co-workers nearby that weren't so lucky, and had to be evacuated by boat and by helicopter. It will likely be many months before their homes are inhabitable again. We will be dealing with the aftermath for a long time to come.

I know we have other members here from that area, and I wish them well.
I have a sister in Houston, she was flooded from the one before but water just up to the gutters on the road this time.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Why is it that such an overall simple design like the Chilton is just so drop dead gorgeous? Sometimes all the little things just come together to make a whole that is better than any single detail. The little wrapped gear covers are so period and every so nice and the rest of the lines just belong together. The opposite is something like the A10: it has all the right details and it is extra homely as a result. Course its mother probably loves it anyway :)

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
The Chilton was designed by two young Brits who were recent graduates of the DeHavilland Technical School in the late 1930’s. With that in mind, it’s not entirely surprising that some of DeHavilland’s classic lines would be ingrained in their design style.

I think back then they relied a lot more on ‘looks right, flys right’ and there is definitely something to be argued for that design philosophy. I will say though, it is a time consuming but enjoyable build!

jm.gray

Please note DH type windscreen to allow me to grab hold of to get in and out. The original had just a curved perspex one.
This old fella is no longer flexible enough to hop in and out like a jack rabbit