Quantcast

Wood Velomobile Build

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

etard

Aerowerx

I've been wondering how to make a contoured seat for my plane.

Scroll down to the March 10, 2015 post. These look like a good idea, but what about the weight?

spduffee

Fritz - this may be a long lost brother of yours....I can imagine the sounds issuing forth from your den as you saw all the cnc parts. I hope you were decent enough to close the door.

FritzW

Log Member
He's getting good bends in the plywood, I couldn't find anything that says/shows how he did it.

EDIT: it looks like the last three posts hit all at once ;)

FritzW

Log Member
Fritz - this may be a long lost brother of yours....I can imagine the sounds issuing forth from your den as you saw all the cnc parts. I hope you were decent enough to close the door.
The only sound was my laptop hitting the floor as I ran to the big computer to start drawing my new wooden tricycle.

FritzW

Log Member
I've been wondering how to make a contoured seat for my plane.

Scroll down to the March 10, 2015 post. These look like a good idea, but what about the weight?
Check out his new light weight seat on June 9th 2015.

Will Aldridge

Log Member
That seat got my attention as well. Looked for info on how he built it but didn't see any. I think I saw kerf marks on the first seat in the bends though.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
...Heck you might be able to chime in with some suggestions on how he can get his weight down a bit too...
Rip the plywood skins off and cover it in fabric, in the same manner as a fabric-covered airplane. It'll last as long and be a fraction of the weight.

StarJar

On these bike bodies, the builders often have the misception that the airfoil shape will work too much magic. True, the drag can be reduced, but you need a small wetted area (and weight is an issue on hills).
One problem has been the large circle of the peddling feet. Not only is it a large area at the nose, the feet only occupy a fraction of it at a given time.
I wouldn't mess with a 'body' until a nice, simple, linear drive was made. See what I'm saying? So you can have a clean, light body.

ultralajt

If a drive where circular motion of the pedallist feets could be replaced with an very effficient linear system, I suppose wee will see it on the racing cycles already now.
Regarding the space feets occupy for their circular motion, it is really a drawback, but even in case of linear pushing feets fwd/aft, knees need some space in height.

Here is a very simple "linear" drive (I would say: semilinear.. :) ) , so it looks it was tested quite a while ago...

7ys.jpg

Feets push some upside down placed levers, mounted in the front sie of the vehicle. These levers are connected with rods to the first chain sprocket under the drivers seat.

I dont recall any better "linear" motion system...

Regards!

Mitja

StarJar

If a drive where circular motion of the pedallist feets could be replaced with an very effficient linear system, I suppose wee will see it on the racing cycles already now.
Regarding the space feets occupy for their circular motion, it is really a drawback, but even in case of linear pushing feets fwd/aft, knees need some space in height.

Here is a very simple "linear" drive (I would say: semilinear.. :) ) , so it looks it was tested quite a while ago...

View attachment 42650

Feets push some upside down placed levers, mounted in the front sie of the vehicle. These levers are connected with rods to the first chain sprocket under the drivers seat.

I dont recall any better "linear" motion system...

Regards!

Mitja
I like that. Like a steam locomotive.
The pedals could be directly on the rod, and gearing would be stock.

Regarding knees, they are full up when the feet are full back, so I think this might allow a nice streamlining.

Last edited: