What did you do on your airplane project today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

don january

Log Member
I spent the last couple days scrounging ply sheeting for the finial plying of Fus and working on access panel just forward of Vertical Stab to get to the Elevator aft pulley. Also sanded areas needing some attention from Epoxy/alcohol coating for next pass of same. Best of all I got to sit outside of Wall mart during payday rush and watch the world going crazy. (Payday on the Reservation and for me) :popcorn:

Pops

Log Member
We don't have a local reservation but its just the same. Payday rush at the first of the month and all the crazies are out at Wal-Mart. Good time to say home and work on the airplane. Never know what you will see.

Kyle Boatright

On the RV-6, I've spent the last two evenings pulling the wheels, re-packing bearings, changing tires, tubes, brake pads, and brake discs. The pads and discs are still in spec, but the pads are on the thin side, so why not. This is my second pad change and first disc change in 1200+ hours. While I was at it, I also extracted the pistons from the calipers and replaced the o-rings with Viton rings. Viton rings are a little less heat sensitive than "normal" (nitrile?) o-rings. The plan is to go forward with Royco brake fluid, which again, does better than 5606 from a heat (flashpoint) perspective. To that end, I've picked up a pressure tank, some fittings, and some vinyl tubing so I can bleed the system from the bottom. I went to the airport today to see what I had forgotten (no way it goes back together with only one back and forth trip), and tomorrow I'll put it all back together and fill the system.

On the RV-10, tonight I installed the Mil-spec fasteners on the top cowl. After many paint, prime, and sand iterations, I was a little concerned that the fit might not be what I want, but the top cowl fits well.

Tomorrow, once I get finished reassembling the riding mower and the RV-6, I may get to sand on the -10 before it gets dark (my sanding is done outside). Tomorrow evening I'll probably fab up the pieces to secure the pins for the horizontal cowl split on the -10.

Mcmark

Finished the Condition Inspection on the Cuby today except for the paperwork.
In the last 3 weeks, I’ve gotten the new openings for the Tailwind roughed into the cowl. Got the plenum off the race motor and will transfer it and the oil coolers over to theTailwind. Should have the engine hanging in the next 10-14 days. Can fine tune the cowl and finish the body work.
Being on lockdown has this project pushed to the front.
I’m waiting for the machine shop to finish the top on the motor for the 101. Still have plumbing to finish on it as well.
Busy this spring/summer.

Victor Bravo

Installed a factory made louvered aluminum plate on the top of my Ridge Runner cowling for a cooling air exit yesterday. This was originally the louvered lower cowling side plate on a Piper Lance or Saratoga. I cut it approx. in half, cut a larger hole in the (horrendously made) top cowling to fit the louvered parts. and installed the louvers using genuine Aerospace Depot aluminum pop rivets. Cherrymax or Hi-Loks would just not be good enough for me!

Instead of a proper air exit in the upper cowl, there there was simply a large group of holes drilled in the cowling to let the cooling air out. It was both cosmetically and aerodynamically challenged.

(This is a fan cooled Rotax 503 installation. The fan is at the rear of the engine, too close to the firewall, but I'm stuck with that for now. The fan-driven air went forward through a Rotax mfg. stamped steel shroud around the cylinder heads, then there was an even more horrendous fiberglass duct that was pop riveted to the steel shroud, taking the cooling air upward and to the previous holes in the cowl. A hastily installed strip of silicone baffle seal strip was supposed to seal against the top cowl, but it didn't. The fiberglass duct assembly weighed about a pound and a half, and served almost no function. I threw it a very enthusiastic retirement party.)

Yesterday a friend and frequent co-conspirator in my projects had a great idea for a simplified and more effective method of ducting the warm cooling air out of the cowling. Today I drew out the shape of a .063" aluminum plate that sat on top of the Rotax steel shroud. My friend cut the matching air exit holes on his mill, I filed on it some more, and then mounted this plate on the shroud using an 8-32 machine screw and a Tinnerman clip nut. I will find some sort of squishy foam that can take higher temperatures, carve out an oblong donut shaped duct, and glue this duct into the upper cowling around the louvers. When the upper cwling is installed, the bottom of this foam duct will squish down against the plate, and create a reasonably well sealed air duct to get the cylinder cooling air out of the cowling.

So Monday's project is to find some kind of foam that takes more heat than regular seat cushion foam, since it is inside the engine compartment and wil be touching something that is touching the engine.

If I cannot find any high temperature foam, I can fall back and make a sheet metal duct, rivet it to the upper cowl, and put some kind of silicone baffle seal that will squish into the plate.

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yesterday I replaced the RH brake diaphragm on my Hatz. I would have done both but I ran out of time and the LH side is still working OK. What a PITA! The masters are under the passenger seat and the mounting nuts are in a thin space between the mounting tabs and the bottom fabric... obviously installed before covering. But somebody must've managed before as there's a 2002 date code on the old diaphragm. Today I just have to put the seat back in and then go flying....

... and for some reason the above didn't post earlier this morning. Back from flying now, brakes working better than they ever did. :)

gtae07

Started mocking up fuel lines from the back of the engine (copying Toobuilder's pump blockoff plate) to the distribution block on top. Using aluminum for the moment because I have a bunch of it to play with; once I'm happy with the routing and I get a chance to go to Spruce again I'll use the aluminum lines as templates for CRES ones. Need to do this for the prop governor line too, but I need a new AN fitting on the governor adapter (I apparently have a really old one that uses an NPT fitting and not a steaight thread and O ring, and he existing fitting was too small).

gtae07

Finished mocking up lines. Assuming I'm still happy with them later I'll use them as templates for the flightworthy CRES lines.
IMG_20200413_112531465.jpg

Also started test-fitting the alternator (it's off a late 90s Accord I think). It's a larger ND frame. Measured things out, drew up some geometry in CAD, and 3D printed a prototype bracket. I'll print a tension arm too, and if it all works out I'll build steel ones. Waiting on the flywheel to come in to check the belt groove dimensions before I order the pulley.
IMG_20200413_112557653.jpg

Some might laugh about doing all the CAD and printer work for this but visualization and building without plans is not my strong suit. Doing the CAD helps me get it accurate faster, and using the printer is cheap material that works without me present.

Bill-Higdon

Because my Snapdragon is a bit away & I have some concerns about people who tend to be there I've been hanging around home, where I'm on the clock for Tech Support from 5AM to 1:30 PM M-F. I have been going through the plans & DBFN and found the follwoing the Task supplied composites area for a MK 2 Dragonfly, but the suppplied metal parts are mostly for a MK 1. I also notice I'm missing some of the elevator hinge brackets & thimbles so I found a place that can make them & ordered them. Once the lock down is lifted I plan on getting the canard & wing finished then comes the fuselage. The previous owner had planed on a full 6 pack with multiple radios I don't plan on the a full IFR panel, 2 radios , transponder & ADS-B yes, but the radios now are smaller that what he planned.

gtae07

Last week I hung the engine so I can start doing some firewall tetris, and realized that the nice lines I’d made a few posts up were going to go right through part of the engine mount 🤬

So, I started bending new lines. Relocated the fuel block, ran one line down the center of the case (so I can pick up some support) and will try to run the other line today. Then it’s time to figure out how to clamp them on the back of the engine.

Also 3D printed parts to make a mockup oil cooler based off the manufacturer’s drawings—trying to figure out where to hang the thing. Don’t want to order it just yet.

Finally, my prop arrived yesterday and I carried the 90lb package all the way back to the shop, since it had big “DO NOT STAND ON END” labels all over it and therefore I couldn’t use the hand truck.