What did you do on your airplane project today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Toobuilder

Log Member
Waiting on ignition parts for the RV, and the whole engine for the Rocket so I worked on the jet. Looks like I have a buyer who's going to fly it out of here so I'm working off a few minor sqwawks. Current project is to reinstall the provisions to accommodate a flight battery.

gtae07

Just got off the phone from ordering my SDS injection package. This afternoon's plan is to continue cleaning engine parts and getting the last items painted. Engine assembly scheduled for early March, but possibly sooner.

Tiger Tim

It’s not my plane and it’s not even today but over the last month I’ve been chipping away at a Gipsy Moth cowl. This is my first time doing anything serious with aluminum so clearly the nose bowl isn’t my work but I’ve had a hand in every other panel as well as the final fitting. The goal is to prime and paint next week.

Attachments

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
In preparation to rework my propeller to reduce the pitch or diameter (haven't decided which yet), I made a balancer so I can balance it after working on it.

upload_2020-2-26_21-3-44.jpeg

upload_2020-2-26_21-4-35.jpeg

upload_2020-2-26_21-5-0.jpeg

No, I didn't make the little tripod base thing just for this, that would have been way too much unnecessary machining... it was a part for a machine I designed some years ago that got redesigned, but I couldn't bear to throw it away, knew it'd come in useful some day... and it did!

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, it's pretty close, but it was still rocking when I took the picture.

Toobuilder

Log Member
Removed the GTX330 transponder I so painstakingly installed in the Rocket 2 months ago, only to reinstall the original GTX327. The 330 is a 1090ES unit and there is no "anonymous mode". After flying 1090 ES in the RV for a few months now, it's really important for me to have the option to be anonymous, so I'm going with an ECHO 978 UAT and the mode C 327 for ADS-B.

As a bonus, the 327/Echo combination is smaller and lighter than the 330.

TFF

I put in !$#€¥}<@& new bungees in my plane today. I made my own tool but i really could not find what I needed so I improvised. It was a little too flexible with the all-thread. I got them in after spending most of the day modifying the dang tool. Impossible task without one. AB58BE7D-4196-494E-A9E1-3476B0CE02E7.jpeg5BE89A20-0D6F-476F-A2B7-E1FB8DFCD035.jpegCB2CF492-BCCF-4915-B60C-F678770F11AA.jpeg0DFECB94-13B6-48FF-A056-E1931A57E628.jpeg

Victor Bravo

(Rocky Mountain Wings "Ridge Runner 2" ) Today I cut the bottom out of the crappy fiberglass cowling, and made a plastic template for a piece of aluminum to fit the hole. The aluminum will be fairly close to the Rotax exhaust and likely do better than epoxy. Also it gave me an opportunity to make the cowl much cleaner and fair into the fuselage a lot better.

Yesterday I fought a battle to the death with a bunch of Camloc cowl fasteners. Lots of cursing and frustration. I got the cowls mounted a few times, but the Camlocs were very very inconvenient. The airplane came with Camlocs and I put in a few new ones to replace the missing ones, and I just don't like these fasteners. I realize that they're pretty cool when they work, and that they offer better shear and mechanical properties than Dzus fasteners.

After my experience with the Camlocs, and a little expenditure with Airrcaft Spruce, I actually really may go back and replace all of the Camlocs with PK screws and Clip Nuts. Workd well enough for 64 years on the other airplane I have. A little bag of extra screws in the tool kit is a small price to pay for the simplicity. The only thing holding me back is drilling out 40-50 little CSK pop rivets holding the Camloc receptacles in the cowl.

David H

So on my Volksplane 1 (VP-1) over the weekend I trimmed the side skins and did a "test fit" with the longerons and side skins to the cockpit. A dremel does wonders to take a few millimeters of glue and slight differences off to make everything a snug fit. Next week I glue the sides in place.

Attachments

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
On my Hatz the cowl fasteners are #8 machine screws into plate locknuts, tedious to take off. Top and bottom are joined with a piano hinge on each side, you have to pull the two foot long pin out to remove the cowling. Getting the pin back in is always interesting...

Today I pulled the new prop off the plane again and at home, cut 1/4" off each tip to get the rpm up a tiny bit higher. Got two coats of varnish on the reworked area, two or three more and it'll be ready to test.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I put in !$#€¥}<@& new bungees in my plane today. I made my own tool but i really could not find what I needed so I improvised. It was a little too flexible with the all-thread. I got them in after spending most of the day modifying the dang tool. Impossible task without one.
Glad that you got it done with all your fingers intact. Last time I did the job, I borrowed a very good tool that made it relatively easy.

Here is a similar tool, but it is way too expensive. https://secure.steenaero.com/Store/site/details.cfm?image=bungee_tool_640x4801.jpg

BJC

TFF

My tool was a hack copy of the steen. My center is too flexible. I made with what I had on hand. It will get updated some time.

As for this thread, I cross threaded a spark plug in a Rotax 912 real good. Had to pull the head off. Same engine had caught fire on me last week from fuel coming out of a float bowl, because there is an ignition problem making it shake. Best day at work ever.

gtae07

Pulled the oil seal over the crankshaft, now letting it relax back into shape. Will finish that tomorrow and continue installing the fuel lines.

Also printed and installed replacement parts because I decided to bake my dehydrator plugs whole instead of emptying them (doh!). I thought I had the temperature low enough but I guess I was wrong. Anyway I printed the plastic threaded bases out of PETG, chased them with a tap, and installed them. And printed a replacement cylinder for the glass one that my son broke earlier.
IMG_20200401_140847331.jpg

Pops

Log Member
I got the Stromberg carb for the C-85 on the JMR from a trade with a friend in IA. He had it as a spare carb for the Cont engine on his Fly-Baby. Took it off the engine today to check the float level. Float level right on, but parts inside were not safety wired.