What did you do on your airplane project today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Toobuilder

Well-Known Member
Log Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2010
Messages
4,597
Location
Mojave, Ca
Waiting on ignition parts for the RV, and the whole engine for the Rocket so I worked on the jet. Looks like I have a buyer who's going to fly it out of here so I'm working off a few minor sqwawks. Current project is to reinstall the provisions to accommodate a flight battery.
 

gtae07

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2012
Messages
1,878
Location
Georgia
Just got off the phone from ordering my SDS injection package. This afternoon's plan is to continue cleaning engine parts and getting the last items painted. Engine assembly scheduled for early March, but possibly sooner.
 

Tiger Tim

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2013
Messages
3,038
Location
Thunder Bay
It’s not my plane and it’s not even today but over the last month I’ve been chipping away at a Gipsy Moth cowl. This is my first time doing anything serious with aluminum so clearly the nose bowl isn’t my work but I’ve had a hand in every other panel as well as the final fitting. The goal is to prime and paint next week.
 

Attachments

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
8,952
Location
CT, USA
In preparation to rework my propeller to reduce the pitch or diameter (haven't decided which yet), I made a balancer so I can balance it after working on it.

upload_2020-2-26_21-3-44.jpeg

upload_2020-2-26_21-4-35.jpeg

upload_2020-2-26_21-5-0.jpeg

No, I didn't make the little tripod base thing just for this, that would have been way too much unnecessary machining... it was a part for a machine I designed some years ago that got redesigned, but I couldn't bear to throw it away, knew it'd come in useful some day... and it did!
 

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
8,952
Location
CT, USA
No, it's pretty close, but it was still rocking when I took the picture.
 

Toobuilder

Well-Known Member
Log Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2010
Messages
4,597
Location
Mojave, Ca
Removed the GTX330 transponder I so painstakingly installed in the Rocket 2 months ago, only to reinstall the original GTX327. The 330 is a 1090ES unit and there is no "anonymous mode". After flying 1090 ES in the RV for a few months now, it's really important for me to have the option to be anonymous, so I'm going with an ECHO 978 UAT and the mode C 327 for ADS-B.

As a bonus, the 327/Echo combination is smaller and lighter than the 330.
 

TFF

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
12,220
Location
Memphis, TN
I put in !$#€¥}<@& new bungees in my plane today. I made my own tool but i really could not find what I needed so I improvised. It was a little too flexible with the all-thread. I got them in after spending most of the day modifying the dang tool. Impossible task without one. AB58BE7D-4196-494E-A9E1-3476B0CE02E7.jpeg5BE89A20-0D6F-476F-A2B7-E1FB8DFCD035.jpegCB2CF492-BCCF-4915-B60C-F678770F11AA.jpeg0DFECB94-13B6-48FF-A056-E1931A57E628.jpeg
 

Victor Bravo

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
6,727
Location
KWHP, Los Angeles CA, USA
(Rocky Mountain Wings "Ridge Runner 2" ) Today I cut the bottom out of the crappy fiberglass cowling, and made a plastic template for a piece of aluminum to fit the hole. The aluminum will be fairly close to the Rotax exhaust and likely do better than epoxy. Also it gave me an opportunity to make the cowl much cleaner and fair into the fuselage a lot better.

Yesterday I fought a battle to the death with a bunch of Camloc cowl fasteners. Lots of cursing and frustration. I got the cowls mounted a few times, but the Camlocs were very very inconvenient. The airplane came with Camlocs and I put in a few new ones to replace the missing ones, and I just don't like these fasteners. I realize that they're pretty cool when they work, and that they offer better shear and mechanical properties than Dzus fasteners.

After my experience with the Camlocs, and a little expenditure with Airrcaft Spruce, I actually really may go back and replace all of the Camlocs with PK screws and Clip Nuts. Workd well enough for 64 years on the other airplane I have. A little bag of extra screws in the tool kit is a small price to pay for the simplicity. The only thing holding me back is drilling out 40-50 little CSK pop rivets holding the Camloc receptacles in the cowl.
 
Group Builder
Top