What did you do on your airplane project today?

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by cdlwingnut, Sep 17, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 4, 2019 #1441

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

positioned by eye? figure +- .01" ? or do you use some other mechanical aid to position the nipples?

2. Nov 4, 2019 #1442

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Yes, by eye.

NEVER had a problem, ever, due to fold descepencies.

3. Nov 4, 2019 #1443

litespeed

litespeed

litespeed

The local workers are very motivated and paid in rice...............

No accurate bend............no rice.

bmcj, proppastie and cheapracer like this.
  4. Nov 4, 2019 #1444

David H

David H

David H

First time I have posted in this thread... the story begins with "Every journey begins with a single step". I purchased the plans to the VP1 last year and much of the plywood and Sitka Spruce over the Summer. Over the past two weekends I have used T88 epoxy gluing together the cores to F3 and F4. Although I have seen many VP projects starting on various components I confess I am starting on the first pages of the plans. Here are pictures of the cores of F3 and F4. F4 in Jig.jpg F3 in  Jig.jpg

5. Nov 9, 2019 #1445

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Got far enough on my electrical diagrams (and made it through the layoffs) so I ordered a pile of electrical equipment--wire, terminals, connectors, fuse blocks, empty battery cases, tools, etc. I can start laying in things like the power distribution system and a bit of the known wiring while I triple-check my "parts to buy to build my engine" list. Monday should be my first day out in the shop in a few weeks (finally!). The layoffs had me in a funk for a while so I stuck to doing computer work like wiring diagrams. Still need to finish them and figure out my routing so I can drill spar penetrations...

Getting work done with a 3-year-old who wants Daddy time all the time is a challenge...

cheapracer likes this.
  6. Nov 22, 2019 #1446

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Drilled up the forward fuselage ribs/skins and got the rest of my engine components (minus SDS system) in the "shopping carts" from vendors. Going to double-check the list one more time and make sure I have the tools and supplies needed before ordering. Hopefully the guy who's going to help me build it is here at work today so I can ping him with a few more questions...

7. Nov 22, 2019 #1447

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Folded up the rear fuselage parts today ..

Rear Fuse bent.jpg

8. Nov 28, 2019 #1448

TFF

TFF

TFF

081C9052-FC24-4210-BCC8-8563A643DB07.png First crank. It’s really only running on 2 1/2 cylinders. Maybe I should have cleaned and tested the plugs! Mag switch is not anchored like it should so it might have been twisting when switching to both. I was starting on left. I did not run it too long. Oil pressure good. Had to prime the pump with a syringe in the hangar before it would show anything spinning without plugs. Also visited the airplane isle at Home Depot for some tail wheel springs.

BJC likes this.
  9. Nov 28, 2019 #1449

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Exchanged more parts with the aircraft painter. I now have painted wings, ailerons, flaps, wingtips, gear leg fairings, lower transition fairings, and wheelpants sitting in my hangar.

The painter is in possession of the elevators and horizontal stab.

I'll be finishing the fiberglass work on the empennage fairing and the spinner this weekend, and at that point, the only thing(s) left for the painter will be those parts, the fuselage, cowling, VS, and rudder. At this point, those are the only items which will have any color other than white on them...