What did you do on your airplane project today?

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by cdlwingnut, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Sep 17, 2017 #1

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Or recently.

A little threat to share the latest step no matter how big or small you took on your project.

I will go first, was a few days ago as I was out of town this weekend but I took the second side of the fuselage out of the jig and pulled the jig up. I then rolled out some more paper on the build table (I got a roll of paper from a hobby store) and marked out the vertical fin and rudder. I ordered hinges and the wood needed. the hinges showed up but waiting on wood. I also cleaned the work area to prepare for the next step.

again share your work no matter if all you did was clean up a little or if you built a whole wing in one sitting.

2. Sep 17, 2017 #2

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

I have been building the top support for the rudder system. This part is V shaped, 13" wide, 16" long. The wide end will attach to the seatback bulkhead, the narrow end will be have a bolt hole to support one side of a bellcrank. I had built a tool on my vacuum bagging table out of a plastic wedge and blue foam and packing tape on Friday. Saturday I went and watched the Wolverines win a ball game at The Big House (Let's Go Blue!), with attendant tailgating beforehand and fuss afterwards.

Today I waxed the tool, cut the Triax and Biax glass cloth, the green PVC foam cores, UNI tape, peel ply, perforated film, bleeder plies, and bag film, laid out the shapes for each of the plies of glass cloth, then laid up the part and sealed the bag. It has been under vacuum since 12:30 pm. The sealant tape covers an area about 18" by 26". Pictures show the tool and two shots of the part curing under vacuum. I shall follow up with pictures of the completed part. in a day or so.

IMG_20170917_113253[1].jpg IMG_20170917_125319[1].jpg IMG_20170917_125305[1].jpg

Attached Files:

cdlwingnut and Little Scrapper like this.
  3. Sep 17, 2017 #3

stuart fields

stuart fields

stuart fields

I drilled and tapped a drain hole for the Sprag clutch on my Turbine engine. I also set up some welding practice pieces of aluminum. I have to fabricate an aluminum oil tank for same item. I've also set up a test piece using 3M VHB tape to see if it really will take the place of welding and screws to attach two pieces of aluminum sheet stock. I also ordered some Loctite paste adhesive LOCTITE EA 9309.3NA to test for the same idea.. I also patted the bubble on the helicopter.

cdlwingnut likes this.
  4. Sep 18, 2017 #4

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Does thinking about it count?

delta, pictsidhe, cdlwingnut and 2 others like this.
  5. Sep 18, 2017 #5

tspear

tspear

tspear

For me it is dreaming...

Tim

6. Sep 18, 2017 #6

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

I worked on a friends airplane which gets me closer to getting back to work on my airplane so it counts ;)

I finished entering my friends paper instrument panel template in the computer and made the cutting files for it. I started to mount the panel blank to the machine but, even in mid September with the garage AC going full blast, it's too bloomin hot out there. I'll cut it on Tuesday morning :ermm:

Sky Ranger Panel SW.jpg Sky Ranger Panel CB.jpg Sky Ranger Panel.jpg

7. Sep 18, 2017 #7

don january

don january

don january

I spent a couple hours today sorting out hardware left over from my KR-2 and did some napkin design work on the Taylor-m. Plan on stopping in Fargo N.D. tomorrow and picking up some more ply for the mono. I have most the pieces cut but for the turtle deck.and have been working on a holding tank to soak and heat the pieces to ease shaping to mount to the plane.

cdlwingnut likes this.
  8. Sep 18, 2017 #8

TFF

TFF

TFF

Not for a specific project, but I bought a one of the spruce odds and ends from ACS to see what they send. Shipping is murder.

9. Sep 18, 2017 #9

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

Was at a very satisfying music festival in Nashville (Americanafest) for the last week. But had decided before I left that I needed to borrow (get back) the small drill press I had given to my son. He drove from Illinois and I flew from NJ for the festival. So I flew back today with the drill press for my spar fabrication.
    I finished the detail design of the seat back while there. Pretty soon I will be able to sit and make airplane noises.

10. Sep 18, 2017 #10

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Wife and two boys completely cleaned the shop today for me. I was pretty thankful for that.

cdlwingnut and akwrencher like this.
  11. Sep 18, 2017 #11

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Been installing instruments in the Kolb Firestar this past few days. Before that I did some quick and dirty composite/paint repair on the combination nose fairing and instrument panel. In between (literally while the glue was drying) I built and installed a switch panel on the side of the cockpit.

cdlwingnut and cheapracer like this.
  12. Sep 18, 2017 #12

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Slowly unpacking boxes since the move, tracking down and organizing my tools, fasteners, and aluminum parts. What a chore!

13. Sep 18, 2017 #13

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

I had a fight with a guy in a forum over Flying Flea style craft to help secure my future market when I start making them.

Or I just like fighting in forums, I knows it's one of the 2 ... :gig:

14. Sep 19, 2017 #14

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

See build log.

Also fixed the Strike Finder on the Mooney...cleaned the contacts.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  15. Sep 19, 2017 #15

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

In the last week, I've finished a configuration change that I've been contemplating since Oshkosh and revised the weight estimate of the new design to check that the CG will be where it belongs. Also I revised my conceptual fuselage shape for flat-wrapping. Been putting that off a long time. This week I'll be working on turning it into plans for an RC model that a friend wants to build, which should be interesting since I never have been an RC guy.

16. Sep 19, 2017 #16

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Someday ask me the story of how well that technique worked for me on a product I started manufacturing. I wish I hadn't used that technique. A couple of people warned me, and I did it anyway, and now I am sorry I did it the way I did.

17. Sep 19, 2017 #17

Lucrum

Lucrum

Lucrum

I showed a 4th grader my GE T-58 engine and the fuselage frame, I'm still welding on.
    He was very impressed.
    Later I'm baby sitting grandkids - again.
    Hence no real work on my project today - again.

cheapracer likes this.
  18. Sep 19, 2017 #18

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

Last night we finally drilled the cross-bar support for the hanging rudder pedals and permanently mounted the rudder tracks. Well over a foot of adjustment travel fore/aft on the rudder bar, pretty happy with how it all came out.

Also got the material needed to make the 2x scale fifity-cal bodies that go in the cockpit on either side of the instrument cluster. That will be a fun project for me. Might look into finding a way to mount some paintball guns inside those mini-ma-deuces so when you pull the trigger you get a bit of cachunk-cachunk.

19. Sep 20, 2017 #19

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

mostly finished the seat rivets. waiting on rivets I need to finish.

20. Sep 20, 2017 #20

Voidhawk9

Voidhawk9

Voidhawk9

I polished up the CAD drawings of two bulkheads and sent them to the printer. Construction on said bulkheads to follow soon!