What did you do on your airplane project today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Toobuilder

Log Member
Fiddled with baffling and wiring on the Rocket all weekend. Spent over an hour fitting a piece of aluminum to seal a 1 square inch hole on the back of the #6 cylinder. It was tight before, but this takes baffle sealing to a new level. If my dyno HP numbers are even remotely believable, I'll need all the cooling I can get. My inlet area is 30% smaller than a stock RV 8, yet I'm making at least 50% more power.

Tomorrow I write a big check for the new prop.

The big news is that after 30 years in this business I finally had someone show me the "easy" way to do string ties on wiring. I'm a string tie maniac now! It only takes seconds and it's bulletproof. Had a "master" show me the secret the other day at work.

Marc W

I woke up the VW on the CX4 today after a long winter hibernation. The carb isn't dialed in yet but it idled well. I still have a list of mostly minor things to do but it should be back at the airport in a week or two.

Victor Bravo

The big news is that after 30 years in this business I finally had someone show me the "easy" way to do string ties on wiring. I'm a string tie maniac now! It only takes seconds and it's bulletproof. Had a "master" show me the secret the other day at work.
By string tie do you mean old-school "wire lacing" with the Koroseal cord or (old-old-school) leather strips, or are you referring to some other way of bundling wires?

Toobuilder

Log Member
The knot I was shown is none of those on the aero electric site, bit it's so tight it will snug up a big bundle just like a zip tie... And I can do it almost as fast.

Marc W

Started reworking the exhaust system today. My CX4 has a 4 into 2 setup with two very loose slip joints that leak inside the cowl. I was getting exhaust fumes in the cockpit. I am changing it to 4 straight pipes that all exit behind the cowl and firewall.

Last week I scrubbed the firewall area down and resealed with fire resistant caulk. I also relocated one of the cockpit vents to get some cool fresh air on my feet. The original vent inlets are downstream of the cowl exits and brought engine heat and fumes into the cockpit. I don't know whose bright idea that was!

cblink.007

I don't know what kind of knot it is.

...other than *PFM

* Pure #@$king Magic
In my [not so] old military aviation days, I always saw wire bundles tied and not zip-tied. I asked our avionics guys, and they told me that this technique is preferred in high-vibration environments, such as the helicopters I flew, as zip ties, according to them, have come loose, especially older ones. Makes sense!

gtae07

Finished bending the last stainless line that goes on the engine (prop gov oil line). The 3ft stick from Spruce was just barely long enough--I had about 3/8 to trim off the end. Big thanks to @Toobuilder for the inspiration and ideas on these.

Next up is either fitting the cowl, or nailing down battery, relay, and oil cooler locations. Leaning towards the latter as that'll open up a lot more stuff I can work on.

rick9mjn

In my [not so] old military aviation days, I always saw wire bundles tied and not zip-tied. I asked our avionics guys, and they told me that this technique is preferred in high-vibration environments, such as the helicopters I flew, as zip ties, according to them, have come loose, especially older ones. Makes sense!

rick9mjn

if you zoom in on photos of the NASA mars lander's ON MARS , you will see many examples of ,old school waxed string wire bundle lacing, which shows old and true is a good thing to do.
good day rick

Marc W

Life has been interfering with my airplane habit! I was able to get back to it today and got my new exhaust pipes tacked together. My welding is pathetic! I bought a Harbor Freight Omni 220 last year. So far I had only welded thicker steel with it, which it works great for. This is my first foray into thinner material with it and it isn't pretty. My biggest problem is I can't see. Hard to weld by Braille! I lost my glasses once when I took the helmet off and I noticed my Transition lenses were dark. I dug out an old pair of plain lens glasses and that helped but still can't see to well. If I can't get it figured out tomorrow morning I will break out the O/A. However I am out of practice there too. It's been 20 or 25 years since I welded any thinner material. Time to enroll in Scrappers School of Welding!

1590110715903.png

TFF

Not to beat on your welding because I have been there, but your struggle reminded me of a quote on a car tv show. Welded exhaust. Quote is something like this.” That looks like it was welded by Ray Charles with his feet. “

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Life has been interfering with my airplane habit! I was able to get back to it today and got my new exhaust pipes tacked together. My welding is pathetic! I bought a Harbor Freight Omni 220 last year. So far I had only welded thicker steel with it, which it works great for. This is my first foray into thinner material with it and it isn't pretty. My biggest problem is I can't see. Hard to weld by Braille! I lost my glasses once when I took the helmet off and I noticed my Transition lenses were dark. I dug out an old pair of plain lens glasses and that helped but still can't see to well. If I can't get it figured out tomorrow morning I will break out the O/A. However I am out of practice there too. It's been 20 or 25 years since I welded any thinner material. Time to enroll in Scrappers School of Welding!

View attachment 97018
Ever tried a Meco? I can borrow you mine if you’d like. It’s light weight and ships easy. I’d just commit to OA and brush up a little. OA is excellent for thin wall.