Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by cdlwingnut, Sep 17, 2017.
Just breaking edges and sanding gussets flush and on wing ribs today. But, progress is progress.
Today was a busy day, with taxes due tomorrow and being a solo parent for the weekend.
But, I did loosely fit the final engine control cable, and did some sanding on the cabin top before the second round of T-storms hit and drove me and most of an RV-10 back inside the garage.
Today we completely cleaned the hanger and re-arranged a number of things to make way for the P36 which is getting bigger as we add more and more wing.
Really slogging through my electrical diagrams. Basic DC power distribution is "done" for the moment; now I'm doing the engine control. I think I've figured out all the wiring for the SDS system but it'll have to be confirmed when I get the hardware. The important part for now is the power connections.
Current status of the drafts attached.
The power drawing may look familiar; it's a Nuckolls Z14 with the following mods:
- Crossfeed and start are now separate switches
- Instead of separate battery buses, the batteries feed a switched engine bus through diodes (essential bus diodes from B&C)
- Nothing other than power distribution and engine start are on the diagram, everything else goes by system on other pages
Had to re-do my rib due to inconsistency in copied drawing; happy to have it noticed quickly
Made a foam visualization mock-up of the small fuselage and wing root for an all-metal version of the Fauvel/Debreyer Pelican minimalist flying wing. The foam mock-up allowed me to get a good spatial sense of where the wing and fuselage needed to be with respect to each other, as well as verifying that the pilot would have adequate visibility down over the leading edge of the wing. If I was conversant with Sketchup, or SolidWorks, I might have done this in the computer. But this washed up old model airplane builder did it with cheap sheet foam from Home Creep-O and masking tape
I have not been happy with the fit of the kit’s left side pilot seat back rail in the Sportsman. (The seats are fixed, the seat back slides forward and back for different size pilots.) The kit part had to be forced into alignment to get the AN3 bolts in place. The ideal fix would have been to replace the 4130 tabs with new ones, but that would necessitate post-welding powder coating to look right.
Since there was adequate hole edge clearance, I made a drill guide out of a scrap piece of stainless steel angle, and drilled out the mounting holes to accept AN4 bolts, shifting the center of each of four holes by 1/32”. Much easier to align now.
working on details design of rear spar, decided needed to finish the rear spar fitting. Major problem...the lever arm from the tip skid to the rear fitting is, aprox 12.....there is a spec. of 150 lb on the tip skid in case you drag a wing..... 1800 lb on the rear fitting...without figure of the P as shown on the diagram. I guess I have to figure P but that should help.
Separate names with a comma.