What did you do on your airplane project today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

gtae07

Drilled and reamed 6 of 8 stab attachment bolts. The last two are posing an interesting access challenge; I can't drill directly and I can't fit my right angle drill adapter in without removing a small bulkhead and unclecoing half the aft upper skin. I'll probably end up piloting with a #30 or so, then backdrilling and reaming from inside without the attachment.

bifft

Finished up my ADS-B out install. Went with an echoUAT so I could get in and out without needing an extra box and antenna. Also wasn't too expensive at around $1500 and 1 lb. Finished up right as it was time to go home, so didn't get a flight test in.

Toobuilder

Log Member

Still building fairings. Needed an accurate mold of the lower half of the LE... So I did a 2 ply of carbon and vacuum bagged it to the wing. I'm guessing it will fit.

Also worked a bit on the jet. Hydro is hooked up and most of the cannon plugs. Safety wiring these with .020 by hand is not high on my " fun things to do" list. Thought I might get an APU run in, but I'm out of time.

Kyle Boatright

Engine baffles. Primarily the rubber seal material and the tension rods that hold the metal baffles around the cylinders. Lots of fiddly stuff.

I'm currently contemplating whether to work on the cowling, measure for hoses, or pack it in for the night. Hoses and some clean-up work seem most likely...

I'm tired because I dug a stump out of our side yard today. I don't see how the settlers did it. I'd starve if my food supply depended on me clearing enough space to grow any meaningful amount of food.

TFF

I got the brakes re-plumbed. Added the carb and carb heat/ intake, put the mags on and exhaust. Also got to splash some paint on the turtle deck. Out did my self 25 ft paint job vs 50. Thumbs up to all you building stuff.

bifft

After yesterday's flight test, the FAA report on my ADS-B out says 0% failure, so I'm setting it to anonymous mode from now on.

Kyle Boatright

I finished making the RV-10's hard aluminum fuel lines, including a return line for the fuel injection. They are all installed now (I consider my scraped up arms to be proof).

I also measured for the FWF fuel lines and will place that order tomorrow.

And now, I need to go pay a few bucks to the FAA to extend the reservation on my special N-numbers. Which one (of 2) to use??? Decisions, decisions...

choppergirl

Banned
Choppergirl's Flying Circus ★★☠★★ AIR-WAR.ORG
I made my first aluminum parts today. I used up 97% of the flat piece of 1/8" alluminum rectangle sheet, so I'm proud my layout left only 3% waste.

They aren't pretty, just functional; won't be seen. No bend break (I tried setting up an improvised one), just metal forming bending and beating them over an anvil while clamped in. Heck of a lot easier to drill than steel.

Last edited:

Marc W

Got my condition inspection done today on the CX4. Inching closer to it's second "first flight"! I still have a few things to do besides put the covers and fairings on before I fly it. I am going to check the carb tuning again and check the landing gear alignment before I fly it.

Reactions: BJC

gtae07

Finished drilling the vertical stab to the fuselage and started on the rudder pedal installation (plans have you do this earlier but I wanted to wait till things were right-side up)

Kyle Boatright

Started in on the registration paperwork. Requested a bill of sale from Van's. Called OK City for 8050-1 form (I asked for 3).

Did the initial fit of my engine control cables. Looks like that'll be a bigger adventure than I was hoping. My EI places the control arms farther aft than stock, so I may have to pull the mixture cable, replace it with the (even shorter) throttle cable, and order another (shorter) cable for the throttle.

I may receive my FWF fuel hoses today, so it'll be interesting to see how good my measurements were...

Marc W

Whittling away on the reassembly for flight on the CX4. The first prop I tried wouldn't turn up into my comfort range on my 2180 cc VW. Yesterday I borrowed one from a friend that he had used on his Sonex. It is a 54x44 Sensenich. I had to bore the center hole out to 2" to fit my Force One prop hub this morning. Took it to the airport and mounted it, checked tracking and ran it. Static RPM with this one was 3000 to 3200. The Tiny Tach was bouncing around a lot so I can't be any more precise than that. However that will do!

TFF

I got to work a little after work on the baffles. Some updating and some fixing. The person who made the baffles did a great job, but they missed the boat on the back right. Instead of being tucked up against the cylinder, it was an inch away. It fit great once I moved it forward.

Saturday i plumbed the fuel line, clearanced one of the exhaust pipes touching an intake tube, ie hit it with a hammer, hooked up the carb heat cable, installed the oil cooler. Both the carb and cooler required a lot of trial and error with the fittings and hoses I had on hand. Both reconfigured from how it was originally. The fuel line out of the gascolator originally was just hose clamped over a threaded pipe.

Tantrum1

Log Member
Removed the wing structure off the work bench last night! First time the wing has been off the bench since I started the wing about a year ago! Needed is off the bench so I can lay out the skins, and cut and scarf the pieces back to where I need them. Hoping to scarf and bond before Saturday. Hoping to bond in my first wing skin by the end of the weekend!
I will be posting pics hopefully on Monday in my build log of my weekend progress.