What did you do on your airplane project today?

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by cdlwingnut, Sep 17, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 28, 2019 #1221

BJC

BJC

BJC

Are you using T88 or another adhesive?

BJC

2. Mar 28, 2019 #1222

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Hey thanks for asking! I am using T88 as that’s what the plans call for, ive also talked pretty in-depth about it with the design engineers that own the design.
    Thanks
    Mark

cdlwingnut likes this.
  3. Mar 29, 2019 #1223

spaschke

spaschke

spaschke

whipped up the center console with radio, usb, volt meter and intercom. The transponder didn't fit so I put on a panel blank to cover the slot.

Attached Files:

4. Mar 29, 2019 #1224

TFF

TFF

TFF

I got a box of screws from Spruce. Best packed box of screws. Box was big enough that something expensive could have been in there so I had to check if I had bought something expensive. No. Just screws.

5. Apr 6, 2019 #1225

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

I finished fitting the cowl and baffle seals today. The cowl is ugly and unfinished but it will fly ugly! This thing is ready to go! I need to finish planning my first flight and get a nice calm morning this coming week.

Assembled-3.jpg

6. Apr 6, 2019 #1226

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Built a plug for the cooling inlet duct and have glass vacuum bagged on it at the moment. New concept for me using a "disposable", but repeatable plug. Will see how the part turns out tomorrow. Also turned a new inlet ring plug out of MDF. It's primed and should be ready to make a part tomorrow. Also made the plug for the prop shaft seal retainer at the front of the cowl. Should make that part tomorrow as well. In the time waiting for stuff to cure/dry, I got about half of the cowl hinge rivets shot in. Good progress today - tomorrow should be better.

7. Apr 6, 2019 #1227

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

NOTHING!!!!! I'm stuck in Connecticut for work for over a week and its beginning to kill me! I had a good steam of momentum built up... I'm gonna lose my Sh@t if Bombardier doesn't get their act together soon!

8. Apr 7, 2019 #1228

don january

don january

don january

[​IMG] For those who has seen my build log I have hit the stage of the build where IMO a second stall in steady progress occurs. This happens I think because of material needs and "Hands". I spent last night in the basement with lights low and a Lazer leveling light working on incidence of the Horz stab. Waiting for header tank build and wind screen/engine mount. 1/2 way to 1/2 way 1/4 way there.:)

9. Apr 7, 2019 #1229

kalazzerx

kalazzerx

kalazzerx

Finished my first wing on a Legal Eagle XL this week (not including covering). The other wing should be done by next weekend as it only needs the leading edge covering completed.

[​IMG]

mcrae0104 likes this.
  10. Apr 7, 2019 #1230

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

I've been working on engine control cable routings, fuel line routings, and the like. The number of combinations and permutations is astounding between routings, lengths, termination types, and the like. And then you get into interference with other items.

The RV-10 is the kind of project where there are more and more decisions that have to be made late in the process and each of those decisions seems to require a unique fitting, cable, or hose...

11. Apr 8, 2019 #1231

Alan_VA

Alan_VA

Alan_VA

Having just bought the plans for Thatcher CX5 #118 at Sun-n-Fun, I'm still in the process of setting up my shop. This morning, I took the plans down to Staples and had copies made so that I wouldn't mess up the originals - w/ extra copies of the full-size layouts for making templates. I have a horizontal surface in the shop that will serve as the base of a home made drawing board to be used for letting me reference the plan du jour while keeping it more or less out of danger, so I also ordered the drafting board support hardware from Amazon.

Based on my past experience, I can keep better records of the build if I use an electronic build log. I'm looking at KitLog Pro unless anyone has a better idea.

Alan

mcrae0104 and cdlwingnut like this.
  12. Apr 8, 2019 #1232

kalazzerx

kalazzerx

kalazzerx

cdlwingnut likes this.
  13. Apr 8, 2019 #1233

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

I've been trying to turn my electrical power system plan into a hard wiring diagram. It's painful. I know (in my head) what it should look like, but forcing myself to sit at the computer and drive the mouse around to actually make the drawing is painful. I'd much rather be fabricating and installing all the components and harnesses than doing the drawing. I do enough of that crap at work and don't want to be doing it at home.

But, I know I need to do the drawing and put the work in. Plan the build, and build to the plan...

cdlwingnut likes this.
  14. Apr 8, 2019 #1234

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

The bird has flown!
    On Final.jpg

Perfect morning for a first flight. Wind was calm. The temp on takeoff was mid 30's and warmed into the forties by the time I landed.

The 2180 VW ran strong and the 54/44 Sensenich prop turned 3200 rpm on climbout. Field elevation is 5200' and it climbed easily to 8000' where I recorded speeds at several power settings and did some slow flight.

The CHT reached 360 degrees in the climb and around 300 in cruise. GPAS recommends keeping it below 340 degrees and at 275 to 300 in cruise with their recommended sensor location which is under one of the two center head bolts. I do need to radius the edge of the firewall at the cooling exit and I will do that before I fly again. I partially blocked the inlet to the oil cooler because of the cool weather and oil temps reached 190 degrees so that worked OK.

The wings were originally built with a twist in them and I averaged out the twist during my rebuild. I went from an extremely heavy right wing before rebuild to a slightly heavy left wing now. I also detwisted a lot of other stuff and handling is much improved during landing. It was a vicious little piece of work before and now it acts just like a regular airplane - completely controllable. It only took 2-1/2 years of work to make this supposedly airworthy airplane into a useable airplane!

15. Apr 8, 2019 #1235

BJC

BJC

BJC

Congratulations, Marc.

BJC

16. Apr 8, 2019 #1236

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mcmark

Been a while since I posted anything.
    Decided to make the Cubby solid gear with wheel pants. Found wheel pants at OSH couple years ago, knew they needed work, but didn’t realize how butchered they were. Rebuilt the bottom so they fit the tire.
    Created a jig and used the new EBay special Tig to weld up struts to remove the bungees.
    On the Tailwind, after digging into the engine mount, was gonna use the new mount I had purchased for another project but found it wasn’t gonna fit, imagine that! So, worked on rebuilding the gear sockets to fix what had been “fixed” by somebody else.
    After looking closely at the gear legs, it became obvious that new legs were necessary. Went longer for a steeper deck angle. Still working on those.

Attached Files:

cdlwingnut likes this.
  17. Apr 9, 2019 #1237

BJC

BJC

BJC

I’m finally able to get back to work on the Sportsman condition inspection and a couple of additions.

With help from my son-in-law, installed a GDL 82 ADS-B transmitter. Still need to get a short piece of RG400 for the GDL to antenna, which is all that will be required to place it into service. Installed wires for an Anonomous Switch, but remain undecided about installing and using a switch. Will tie IN OP alarm to EFIS when the back-up battery mod is tied in.

Mounted a back-up battery for the EFIS. Not installing one initially was a mistake. My thinking at the time was that any IMC would be accidental, and the main battery would be sufficient. What I didn’t realize is that some hot starts can drain the battery enough that the EFIS shuts down on low voltage, then takes 20 to 30 seconds to re-boot. The back-up battery prevents the EFIS shut down. Wiring the back-up requires access to the back of the EFIS. That will be the next, and final, step in the mod.

Began re-installation of the seats, interior, etc.

BJC

18. Apr 11, 2019 #1238

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Last night I test fitted one of the wing skins for proper size after adding a piece in to make it big enough to fit. The wing root is 5' and the plywood is only 4' wide. Its a taper wing so I was able to cut the extra off near the tip and bond it back in at the root. I also was able to cut and scarf and bond in the same pieces for the lower skins last night. Hoping to be able to bond in the skins on the weekend. Tonight will be checking the bond, and also finishing up my sport flying fuel tank, then pressure check it tomorrow.

IMG_2127.JPG

19. Apr 15, 2019 #1239

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

More glass work this weekend. Also test fitted my felt prop hub seal. The retainer is carbon and the felt is 5 plies of 1/8. The nominal opening is a snug fit on the hub but has random radial cuts in each ply to allow engine articulation.

[​IMG]

cdlwingnut likes this.
  20. Apr 15, 2019 #1240

TFF

TFF

TFF

Now that is all out air control!

Nothing physical on mine. I did have an hour chat with the guru for Stardusters. Mainly on how light the tail is, fuselage and engine only. Probably normal until fully assembled.