Quantcast

What did you do on your airplane project today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

Dave set me straight. It’s a SD1 which does not have the gear placement problem, but side note I do have the short gear. The long is close to 8-10” longer. Essentially once I put the tail on it, all is well. Turning the prop and having it flip on me freaked me out. Tail is all on now. Getting close to being able to run the engine.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Dragged the Rocket out of the shop and did an engine run and taxi test.

This is the first time the thing has been run fully cowled, with the airbox, and the augmentor duct installed. Not super happy with the cooling performance, but the flight environment will tell the tale.

The mechanical integration of the "Rutan style" inlets (fixed to the engine, floating in front of the cowl) seems great. Installation of the cowl, even with the foam seals for the inlets and airbox, is a snap. Happy with this choice so far.

One thing that was perfect, as expected, was the SDS EFI. This engine has not run in months, the fuel system and wiring has been broken into many times, yet today it started on the first blade and ran smooth as a sewing machine. Throttle response on an abbreviated take off run was instantaneous.

Last edited:

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
I'd pulled the cowl from the RV-6 last weekend to do an oil change. During the process, I discovered that the bowl on the MA-4spa carb was slightly loose from the carb body, and that had resulted in a bit of a fuel leak.

So I ordered a new bowl to body gasket and new lock tabs to secure the bolts which attach the bowl to the body.

Tonight's job was to finish the oil change and pull the carb/airbox which went easy enough. I brought the carb/airbox home to work on. Working in the shop at home is generally more efficient than working in the hangar. I have a restroom handy, HVAC, better light, and the internet to distract me. ;-)

This evening, I may disassemble things farther. In addition to the carb gasket, I may replace the transition seal from the air intake to the airbox (it is attached to the airbox), and might as well clean the air filter while I've got things apart. If I don't do that today, I've got all weekend - we're expecting two days of rain, so it isn't like I'm gonna be flying.

Once I get that stuff done and re-attached, the engine is gonna get 8 new plugs.

I also need to re-torque and safety the prop. If I get all of that done in the next few days, I'll probably move my condition inspection to May from June...

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
With the help of my neighbors tractor, we hoisted the 300 pound stabilizer 7 feet off the ground and now it's reunited with the fuselage. The jet looks complete now. Hydro checks are complete and I'm looking to APU and engine runs tomorrow. Should be ready to fly in no time.

gtae07

Drilled my fuel pump module in place, fabbed the line from the selector, and started on the reinforced mounts for the pump last night.

I think tonight I'll be catching up on sleep...

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
After a few prototype parts I decided to streamline manufacturing by building hard tooling for a stamped steel part. I'm not ready to reveal what the part is yet, but here's the tool.

John wadman

Log Member
E62B94B9-79E7-4A81-8CA1-61831AC4E8F7.jpeg I just finished covering my second wing and have tapes and a few patches to do around cable exits and root wing-spar brackets. You can see the painted wingtip of the finished wing in the rack about the work bench. This wing will be finished by Tuesday and then it’s firewall forward. Oops, forgot about ailerons!

gtae07

Not much progress this week besides a bit of cleaning. A/C went out in the shop and we've been hitting 100+ the past few days so I knocked out some yard work and transmission work on the van instead. Those don't care if I drip sweat all over them.

Hopefully it's getting fixed Tuesday. Then next up is probably the engine mount.

Latest posts