What did you do on your airplane project today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Reinstalled the wheel pants and the baggage compartment bulkhead, thus returning the airplane to flying condition following an extended grounding for the installation of ADS-B out, a back-up battery for the EFIS, a change in aileron rigging, and the annual condition inspection. I’m expecting be in condition to fly again soon - hopefully before Oshkosh.

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
is rigging a biplane a black art?
Some people seem to think so. If I ever need the Pitts to be re-rigged, I’ll somehow convince Steve Wolf to do it for me. He has several orders of magnitude more experience with that than I.

I changed (for the second time - going in small steps) the rigging of the ailerons on the Glasair Aviation Sportsman 2+2.

BJC

TFF

Not a black art. Steve Wolf might be. Definitely one who can do anything well. Everything well.

Charles_says

Cleaned out some trash from the hangar, then started laminating the first spar piece for the starboard wing from the aforementioned 3/16" x 3/4" white ash I sliced more than a month ago. It has been aclimating to the humidity... while waiting for better, ( read not as damned hot!" ) weather. Had some thunderstorms pass thru for the past 3 - 4 days, and that, brought the temps down from sure to bake, to unbearably warm. Well, at least for this old man!
meanwhile at home, I've been working in the comfort of the A/C, with a very cool 80 degrees.. Yep when hangar temps are in the area of 105 deg, and the humidity is on the high side of 85, it's almost impossible to see thru the sweat......

Mcmark

E7BB7AE6-3826-47D9-908B-D244C4B75F37.jpeg Flight checked wheel pant install on Cuby. Did some pattern work and then went to a fly in. They were still there when I got back. Must be ok! No noticeable increase in mph. It is a Cub so can’t expect miracles.

Toobuilder

Log Member
Breather tube solution: normally I would couple this breather to the engine vent with a length of rubber hose and a couple hose clamps. This is heavy, ugly, and bulky. The hose that will live in an oil bath is simply too fat to fit between the engine mount and my oil cooler duct. A little time on the lathe cut an O ring groove in a length of 4130 and some torch work created a custom fitting that is a nice tight fit on my breather.

A simple O ring that only weighs a gram replaces several ounces of hose and clamps... I like it!

Here it is mounted. I'm just about to shoot in the bracket that holds the Adel clamp to the duct. With that done, a shot of paint and it's ready to go.

Last edited:

gtae07

Riveted seat backs together. Debating now between installing the engine mount or running some conduit and systems in the cabin next.

TFF

Toobuilder, Does that breather have a valve in it? Where are your home grown engine mounts?

Toobuilder

Log Member
No valve, just a can with a mesh inside. I found this piece to be very effective at reducing oil loss compared to a straight breather tube on this engine.

By "engine mounts", I'm guessing the polyurethane isolators that I made some time ago? Those were too stiff and I have not gone back to look at a custom molded version with a lower durometer.

...yet.

Toobuilder

Log Member
This is a Moroso part from their crank case evacuation system, but Summit, Jegs and others have their own versions of this breather. Last time I checked it was only a few bucks.

Mount it high and loop the overboard hose as high in the cowl as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJC