The 'daydreamers' thread...post your craziest designs and concepts here

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

PTAirco

Here’s one that often crosses my mind...

Make a wing with an airfoil that has a standard airfoil (flat bottom or semi-symmetrical) nested in an undercamber airfoil. Together, they look and act as a single normal airfoil, but can be separated by a significant distance by a scissor arm or swing arm, creating a biplane that has a normal airfoil lower wing and a high lift undercamber airfoil upper wing. It could enhance the cruise to stall range significantly.
Ha! That's the like Star Wars X-wing canard model I almost built when I was 17. Wings together are symmetrical, in X-position the top one has lots of undercamber.

poormansairforce

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
≥>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>≥>

Please stop putting symbols together out the ying yang, it ruins the formatting of the thread. Just quote and post. Thx.

Edit: never mind, fixed it.

Last edited:

cheapracer

Log Member
I have tried to draw it a few times in the past, but I have a picture in my brain of a single tube, 2 seat aircraft.

And I mean a single tube in the order of 400mm/16" diameter from firewall to HS/VS that everything is hung off, and even airflow piped through it to negate the drag at the rear.

No hurry, I'll figure it one day.

mbauer

My idea for electric power:
Instead of batteries, use two Prius generators to power one Prius motor. The generators would be connected to a lightweight motorcycle engine capable of turning each generator fast enough for each one to supply full juice to the motor. With 200% electric power available, the motorcycle engines could run at 50% to supply 100% juice.

At cruise the engines could be turning at their normal rated cruise power (approx. 1/3 max horsepower) which means they would be supplying 2/3 of the needed power to the electric motor, without forcing them outside their normal designed power curve.

This would give you some altitude capability.

You would loose power as you climb for the internal combustion engines, but with the power reserve, you will still be supplying enough energy to the electric motor to climb high and go fast at altitude. The electric motor does not loose efficiency or power at altitude.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:

Johan Fleischer

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 1a.jpg Here’s my crazy daydream: A 4-seat aircraft that’s a mixture between a delta, a flying wing and a blended-wing-body. It would be of comparable overall size to a normal Cirrus SR20, but with more than double the wing area, (approx 300 sq. feet vs. 145 sq. feet) which would give an enormous lift.

With great lift comes also good weight carrying capacity. Even if those big wings would give the airplane a total weight more than 400 pounds more than the Cirrus, mine would still have a wing loading approx. half of the Cirrus. This would give very low stall speed, small turning radius, and a gentle behaviour. I guess it would not be a fast, effective long range vehicle, but more a “quick-up-and-have-fun” aircraft. But some of my inspirations are Verhees delta, and Dyke delta, and they are surprisingly fast for their installed engine power.

Last edited:

wktaylor

Thought these quotes/wisdoms may be useful in this thread.

I don't dream at night, I dream at day, I dream all day; I'm dreaming for living.” --Steven Spielberg, filmmaker

Those who dream by night... wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." --T.E. Lawrence

Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning." --Gloria Steinem

Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. --Steven K. Roberts

It may be that those who do most, dream most." --Stephen Butler Leacock

Everyone who is successful must have dreamed of something. - Maricopa

A daydreamer is prepared for most things." --Joyce Carol Oates

A goal without a plan is just a dream. --Bill Husa, “Orion”

Scientists dream about doing great things. Engineers do them.” -– James A. Michener

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." --C.S. Lewis

All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers. --Orison Swett Marden

A goal is a dream with a deadline." -- Napoleon Hill

A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination, and hard work. --Colin Powell, General, US Army

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." -- John Quincy Adams

Speedboat100

Husa is there too...I like it.

I also like the new attitude here....earlier all dreamers were shot dead...on the spot.

Lendo

Chepracer'
Wouldn't it be better to funnel the exhaust and radiator through flow through that tube to create a bit of thrust and negate a bit of drag at the same time.
George

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
View attachment 90948 View attachment 90949 View attachment 90950 View attachment 90951 View attachment 90952 Here’s my crazy daydream: A 4-seat aircraft that’s a mixture between a delta, a flying wing and a blended-wing-body. It would be of comparable overall size to a normal Cirrus SR20, but with more than double the wing area, (approx 300 sq. feet vs. 145 sq. feet) which would give an enormous lift.

With great lift comes also good weight carrying capacity. Even if those big wings would give the airplane a total weight more than 400 pounds more than the Cirrus, mine would still have a wing loading approx. half of the Cirrus. This would give very low stall speed, small turning radius, and a gentle behaviour. I guess it would not be a fast, effective long range vehicle, but more a “quick-up-and-have-fun” aircraft. But some of my inspirations are Verhees delta, and Dyke delta, and they are surprisingly fast for their installed engine power.
Really beautiful. What software area you designing in?

Seems like all that wetted area is going to be excess skin drag in cruise. You could probably make it a heavy lifter with all that area or a very long endurance platform. BWB are tricky to get right at both ends of the envelope.

Johan Fleischer

Really beautiful. What software area you designing in?

Seems like all that wetted area is going to be excess skin drag in cruise. You could probably make it a heavy lifter with all that area or a very long endurance platform. BWB are tricky to get right at both ends of the envelope.
Thank you.
I'm using Rhino as 3D-modeler and later export it into Cinema4D for materiales, lightning and final rendering.
I would love to use Solidworks, but would need more harddisk space to install some virtual Windows-operative on my iMac, since Solidworks is Windows-only.
You are right, I am also concerned about the large wetted area. But if most of it is effective wing-area, it should give effeiciency (so claims Northrop, Horten and others) I also look with much interest to NASA's Prandtl-D flying wing and their theory of minimum induced drag. Al Bowers at NASA has made an extremely exciting, efficient flying wing. But then again: I'm not by any means qualified to have an opinion, since I'm just an illustrator without engineering or aerodynamic education. But with a big interest in airplanes. I learn a lot in this forum, and are thankful for all info, and constructive critisism, I can get here. So I value all ideas, and all comments on my design very much, :)

sotaro

A Quickie (tandem wing homebuilt). On the rear wing a small propeller on each tip powered by an electric motor. The induced drag would be opposed by the propeller. Powered by a hybrid engine. If enough power is left over, a propeller in the standard location at the front of the Quickie. In case of engine failure, enough battery to allow 10-15 minutes of flight with the tip propellers.

For WW2 warbirds, a mid-engine radial high wing twin prop with chain drive, similar to the Piaggio P.119 in location of the radial. Fuselage retracting conventional gear, similar to the USN Wildcat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaggio_P.119

Hephaestus

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=254112961823148&id=159133737987738

FB_IMG_1577161104686.jpg

Funny someone (Roger Mann) built a full-size lazybee...
Empty weight 278 lbs. with balistic chute(ultralight legal) Cruise-50-55mph. Engine used 30 hp. Stall-not determined but below 30 mph. Landing speed 30 mph. Landing roll without brakes 250'. Take off distance 150'. Span-16 and 17"6". (changable outer panels) will experment with smaller wings if all goes well. Length 15'. Cord 84 inches. Folded width 7' 6".
I'm kind of tickled by that, I always have a lazy bee ready to roll in the RC stable. A real one is tempting...

Hephaestus

24' of 7' chord is... 168sqft of wing.

I think his 16 might be the right ballpark but square tips have to go... And looks infinitely better with the rounded tails.

Fuselage isn't near deep enough either. clancy-aviation-amazing-electric-lazy_1_7aafdb81d3f35350e8f83d4e0cf7d4ea.jpg

For those not familiar... Check out the float versions too :)

Briggs vtwin on the front...

Scaling up it looks kind of funny without >30" of cabin width.