The 'daydreamers' thread...post your craziest designs and concepts here

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
The "What replica warbird would you like to see" poll didn't allow the p-38 because it had two engines... not fair... I would love to see a reasonable representation of a p-38 in the works. The configuration is sound, and with a couple of turbocharged vw's it'd scoot pretty good at altitude.
I had to add a couple of delta delta wings just for drill.
Re p-38, would a single, mid fuselage engine driving two props be allowed? move the pilot forward to compensate for engine weight.

Tiger Tim

Re p-38, would a single, mid fuselage engine driving two props be allowed? move the pilot forward to compensate for engine weight.
Probably more scale looking and easier engineering to just make it a single engine pusher with dummy nacelles.

delta

IIRC, it had control surfaces only on the strut/wing that supported the back half of the ring-shaped wing.

BJC
Thanks for pointing that out. I was hoping he'd come up with something clever.

Yooou funnnnny guy... Everything's allowed here.:gig:

Attachments

trifoils

Thanks. It is a concept that could be adapted as a replacement for the Long EZ type canards and a lot of others, if the assumptions prove out. The Avanti seems to fly well, but they built it like an exotic sports car (I worked for the place that did the vertical & horizontal stabilizers, back in the day). Everything was made in the hardest possible way, it seemed.

Hangar 6

Something I always thought would be real neat is a big brother to the Prowler Aviation Jaguar. It could use the Falconer V12 that the Thunder Mustangs use. You could have a normal model with room for 2, and then a sport racing model with room for one, clip wings, slick canopy etc.. I've always been a huge fan of high performance and all out race airplanes. I know this one could actually be built by someone with the right skills.

nestofdragons

These drafts are a decade old. The last years i am actually building what i am dreaming about. Starting this year with a flying wing called SilverDragon. No picture i can share yet. But ...here are the old ideas.
lar_junkers_02b.jpglar_junkers_02c.jpgrunner_takeoff_prv.jpgrunner_cruise_prv.jpgrunner_landing_prv.jpgdelanne_ulm_prv.jpg
First design is a low aspect ratio with Junkers style elevons. Second one is a very very very basic footlaunchable flying flea. Last one is a foam-wooden Delanne style ultralight. That large window is the entry hole. I tested it roughly in a mock-up. It would be possible to enter that way.
More modern ideas were:
2011-11-15 Recumbent pilot position rendering C.jpg2011-12-05-AL.png2012-01-23 AI.jpg2012-01-24 AA.png2012-02-10 AH.jpg2012-02-11 AD.jpg

t_roy

Building one of every Bearhawk might count. What I would really like to do is build a Bearhawk LSA and then a regular Bearhawk. (Doing both would likely be a 7 to 10 year project.)

I still like the D.5 Turbi, but I also like the fairly new SAM.

Maybe make a plans buildable Hawker Hurricane derivative? First I would have to learn aeronautical engineering, then find the technical specs to the Hurricane, then make my own scope, then find a powerplant, then design the plane around the powerplant, then run the sims and the wind tunnel, then build a prototype and extensively test it...

Same thing with a modern DGA derivative, except with maybe less extensive testing.

Last edited:

Starjumper7

I seems this is the best place to post this, since I learned to never post new ideas in the New Design/Technology section. Around ten years ago I moved up to the high mountain ridges, near the crest of the andes mountains, in southern Ecuador.

I was pondering what kind of aircraft would be suitable for this area, which is as follows: Very steep mountain sides with pointy ridges and ravines choked with trees. Moderately sloping areas are very scarce. There are no airstrips anywhere around, there is only one jet port far away.

All the roads are very rough dirt, except for the Pan American Highway, which borders my 70 acre property. It's a two lane mountain road with lots of curves. It's mostly curves, straight parts are few and very short, there are not level but inclined quite a lot. Add a scattering of cows, donkeys, and dogs and you can see the highway.

It is very windy, with powerful gusts that howl through the ridgetops, sounding like a freight train. the winds are variable and turbulent , changing directions all the time. The air higher up is also turbulent here, downwind of the top of the Andes, which we can drive to in an hour.

We were able to excavate one narrow level flat spot about 200 yards long in one place, but the approaches are boxed in with steep mountainsides.

I came up with the perfect aircraft for these kinds of conditions.

Starjumper7

I came up with the perfect aircraft for these kinds of conditions.
The only aircraft that can handle those conditions is an autogyro with a powered rotor and jump takeoff ability.

I was thinking that it could use a engine/generator for power, with about 20hp going to the main rotor and the rest, say 100hp, to the thrust prop(s)

There are some things that can make up for the added weight of the engine/generator. One is that you can power the main rotor constantly, even during cruise, which should cause less drag. Another important thing is that you can use a large disk area for the thrust prop(s) because the location is not so limited as on a regular autogyro.

Starjumper7

How would you counter rotor torque?
Rotor torque is low due to low power and can be corrected with rudder even at a standstill if the pusher prop is running. You can see autogyros using jump takeoffs have no torque problem.

One important thing that a constantly powered rotor does is that it allows the use of wings for cruise while maintaining safe rotor RPM in flat pitch to prevent rotor instability.