The 'daydreamers' thread...post your craziest designs and concepts here

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Floydr92, Apr 12, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 21, 2016 #121

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
    Re p-38, would a single, mid fuselage engine driving two props be allowed? move the pilot forward to compensate for engine weight.

2. Jul 21, 2016 #122

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Probably more scale looking and easier engineering to just make it a single engine pusher with dummy nacelles.

3. Jul 21, 2016 #123

delta

delta

delta

Thanks for pointing that out. I was hoping he'd come up with something clever.

Yooou funnnnny guy... Everything's allowed here.:gig:

Attached Files:

• a2.jpg
      a2.jpg
      File size:
      21.9 KB
      Views:
    • a4.jpg
      a4.jpg
      File size:
      20.7 KB
      Views:
  4. Jul 22, 2016 #124

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Miles Libellula.

V-173

bmcj likes this.
  5. Jul 23, 2016 #125

trifoils

trifoils

trifoils

Here is a 6 passenger cruiser to compete with the Malibu. Or it could be scaled up slightly and powered by a turboprop to become a single engine Avanti, competing with the TBM700 or PC12:

Attached Files:

autoreply likes this.
  6. Jul 23, 2016 #126

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

nice!! :) could be perfect to start a new vision of this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbbgV30BCzg with your fine pod!

7. Jul 24, 2016 #127

trifoils

trifoils

trifoils

Thanks. It is a concept that could be adapted as a replacement for the Long EZ type canards and a lot of others, if the assumptions prove out. The Avanti seems to fly well, but they built it like an exotic sports car (I worked for the place that did the vertical & horizontal stabilizers, back in the day). Everything was made in the hardest possible way, it seemed.

8. Aug 9, 2016 #128

delta

delta

delta

Make it amphibious, trailer the wing pannels, and drive this one to the lake.

Attached Files:

nestofdragons likes this.
  9. Aug 9, 2016 #129

Hangar 6

Hangar 6

Hangar 6

Something I always thought would be real neat is a big brother to the Prowler Aviation Jaguar. It could use the Falconer V12 that the Thunder Mustangs use. You could have a normal model with room for 2, and then a sport racing model with room for one, clip wings, slick canopy etc.. I've always been a huge fan of high performance and all out race airplanes. I know this one could actually be built by someone with the right skills.

10. Aug 9, 2016 #130

nestofdragons

nestofdragons

nestofdragons

These drafts are a decade old. The last years i am actually building what i am dreaming about. Starting this year with a flying wing called SilverDragon. No picture i can share yet. But ...here are the old ideas.
    lar_junkers_02b.jpg lar_junkers_02c.jpg runner_takeoff_prv.jpg runner_cruise_prv.jpg runner_landing_prv.jpg delanne_ulm_prv.jpg
    First design is a low aspect ratio with Junkers style elevons. Second one is a very very very basic footlaunchable flying flea. Last one is a foam-wooden Delanne style ultralight. That large window is the entry hole. I tested it roughly in a mock-up. It would be possible to enter that way.
    More modern ideas were:
    2011-11-15 Recumbent pilot position rendering C.jpg 2011-12-05-AL.png 2012-01-23 AI.jpg 2012-01-24 AA.png 2012-02-10 AH.jpg 2012-02-11 AD.jpg

trifoils likes this.
  11. Aug 9, 2016 #131

nestofdragons

nestofdragons

nestofdragons

I continue .... ;)
    2013-02-20 Lower spar new body 01 AB Large eye AA.jpg 2013-02-20 Lower spar new body 01 AC normal eye 01 AF.jpg 2016-03-19 DragonPod no engine AE.jpg 2015-10-05 Smaller edition A AA.jpg 2015-10-05 Smaller edition A AB.jpg 2016-05-25 new cockpit M2 001.jpg 2016-05-25 new cockpit M2 003.jpg
    I could add a looooot of old paper drafts. But i don't want to overflow this topic. :)

DangerZone and trifoils like this.
  12. Aug 9, 2016 #132

nestofdragons

nestofdragons

nestofdragons

Looks like the SWAN i saw at Aero Expo in Friedrichshafen last year. It was from Czech Republic. Was the most affordable airplane during that show.

13. Aug 9, 2016 #133

nestofdragons

nestofdragons

nestofdragons

IMG_9143.jpg

14. Aug 10, 2016 #134

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
    Nice, Modern day Thruster.

15. Aug 13, 2016 #135

t_roy

t_roy

t_roy

Building one of every Bearhawk might count. What I would really like to do is build a Bearhawk LSA and then a regular Bearhawk. (Doing both would likely be a 7 to 10 year project.)

I still like the D.5 Turbi, but I also like the fairly new SAM.

Maybe make a plans buildable Hawker Hurricane derivative? First I would have to learn aeronautical engineering, then find the technical specs to the Hurricane, then make my own scope, then find a powerplant, then design the plane around the powerplant, then run the sims and the wind tunnel, then build a prototype and extensively test it...

Same thing with a modern DGA derivative, except with maybe less extensive testing.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    Chris In Marshfield likes this.
  16. Aug 27, 2019 #136

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

I seems this is the best place to post this, since I learned to never post new ideas in the New Design/Technology section. Around ten years ago I moved up to the high mountain ridges, near the crest of the andes mountains, in southern Ecuador.

I was pondering what kind of aircraft would be suitable for this area, which is as follows: Very steep mountain sides with pointy ridges and ravines choked with trees. Moderately sloping areas are very scarce. There are no airstrips anywhere around, there is only one jet port far away.

All the roads are very rough dirt, except for the Pan American Highway, which borders my 70 acre property. It's a two lane mountain road with lots of curves. It's mostly curves, straight parts are few and very short, there are not level but inclined quite a lot. Add a scattering of cows, donkeys, and dogs and you can see the highway.

It is very windy, with powerful gusts that howl through the ridgetops, sounding like a freight train. the winds are variable and turbulent , changing directions all the time. The air higher up is also turbulent here, downwind of the top of the Andes, which we can drive to in an hour.

We were able to excavate one narrow level flat spot about 200 yards long in one place, but the approaches are boxed in with steep mountainsides.

I came up with the perfect aircraft for these kinds of conditions.

17. Aug 27, 2019 #137

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Oldies...and one 3 wheeler.
    1-1-1_blues3_3.JPG 1_foam_tweedy.jpg 3wx.jpg mantaray.jpg supa_fnx53m55.jpg wig.jpg

18. Aug 28, 2019 #138

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

The only aircraft that can handle those conditions is an autogyro with a powered rotor and jump takeoff ability.

I was thinking that it could use a engine/generator for power, with about 20hp going to the main rotor and the rest, say 100hp, to the thrust prop(s)

There are some things that can make up for the added weight of the engine/generator. One is that you can power the main rotor constantly, even during cruise, which should cause less drag. Another important thing is that you can use a large disk area for the thrust prop(s) because the location is not so limited as on a regular autogyro.

delta likes this.
  19. Aug 28, 2019 #139

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

How would you counter rotor torque?

20. Aug 28, 2019 #140

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Starjumper7

Rotor torque is low due to low power and can be corrected with rudder even at a standstill if the pusher prop is running. You can see autogyros using jump takeoffs have no torque problem.

One important thing that a constantly powered rotor does is that it allows the use of wings for cruise while maintaining safe rotor RPM in flat pitch to prevent rotor instability.