The big video topic

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

D Hillberg

A Corona west end dirt bag in California [B.B.] who pissed off a Yew York based FSDO A hole who wanted blood.

I worked on a project and the owner didn't want the work documented (extended range fuel / Chemical hopper)
I recorded his 'request' - Later the pilot hit a taxi way lamp in New York area. [investigation started]
Recording cleared me.:popcorn: But the rumors of the proceeding makes extra work hard to get.
After the events the idiot 'B.B.' wasn't notified of the Corona Flood and lost everything.
Seems he pissed off everyone at Corona.:grave:

The AI meeting was with FAA legal on "your rights as mechanics and the FAA" After we framed the question on "Who is libel for the lost income from the actions from charges that were not vetted before the investigations that taint a mechanics reputation?" It was glorious as the FAA ran for 'cover' as the crowd lit the torches and grabbed the pitch forks, Ruling was the FAA was libel.... 🤣

Speedboat100

Let's celebrate the number 19 due to covid-19...with a helicopter related music video.

Many say it is a war now.

I hope the oriental beast doesn't take the better of us.

We need lotsa "precision strikes" like in Drang Valley in 1965.

I hope Italy does not call the Broken Arrow.

D Hillberg

That is interesting...I thought you got in trouble for not logging
Don B
A&P
Document everything even the stupid requests of the owner.
1# Owners are responsible for the maintenance and aircraft condition,
2# Mechanics only sign off their work.
3# I/As only sign off the Annual Condition of the past year not the coming year.
4# Certificated pilots are the only ones to certify to return to service an Aircraft after maintenance.

It's nice to have more then one certificate.

proppastie

Log Member
4# Certificated pilots are the only ones to certify to return to service an Aircraft after maintenance.
I have rarely signed off a return to service as a pilot (field approval test flight of IFR GPS install). My IA used to say " an IA is the only one allowed to sign off a return to service"....I think he was referring to the return to service block on the 337 form. But that is an interesting point...I routinely just log my maintenance and do not mention anything about approved for return to service.

D Hillberg

I have rarely signed off a return to service as a pilot (field approval test flight of IFR GPS install). My IA used to say " an IA is the only one allowed to sign off a return to service"....I think he was referring to the return to service block on the 337 form. But that is an interesting point...I routinely just log my maintenance and do not mention anything about approved for return to service.
A/Is are only signing off that the data used on the repair or modification is Administrator approved -
A pilot then inspects the aircraft (preflight /test flight as needed) and returning the aircraft to flying status. 🤣

A catch 22 is where a guy builds a kit air craft and has no pilots certificate (student) and then test flys the 40 hours of his kit only to find both his hours and the hours on the machine don't count...:fear:

BBerson

HBA Supporter
The person doing the maintenance is required to make an entry in the record, including owners.
See 43.7 for the list of persons that must make an entry in accordance with 43.9. ( need not say "return to service")

Wanttaja

The person doing the maintenance is required to make an entry in the record, including owners.
See 43.7 for the list of persons that must make an entry in accordance with 43.9. ( need not say "return to service")
And... I know Bill knows this, but for those who forgot: Part 43 doesn't apply to homebuilt aircraft, other than those portions referenced (e.g., Condition Inspection scope and breadth) in the Operating Limitations.

Ron Wanttaja

proppastie

Log Member
"The signature constitutes the approval for return to service only for the work performed" .....I guess I am legal.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
I was refuting the myth that only an I.A. can "return to service" .
There are at least four levels of maintenance discussed here, Ultralighters, Homebuilts, Special Light Sport and Standard category. All have different rules.
But the words "return to service" just means made ready to fly. I think that something as simple as removing a gas cap, for example, "takes the aircraft out of service". Replacing that cap "returns it to service". No entry needed.

D Hillberg

I was refuting the myth that only an I.A. can "return to service" .
There are at least four levels of maintenance discussed here, Ultralighters, Homebuilts, Special Light Sport and Standard category. All have different rules.
But the words "return to service" just means made ready to fly. I think that something as simple as removing a gas cap, for example, "takes the aircraft out of service". Replacing that cap "returns it to service". No entry needed.
pilots servicing and preventative 'maintenance' are covered . even with log entries . . . on anything🐖.

Pt 43. also has a generic checklist for "other" aircraft that do not come with a maintenance inspection "check list"

Nothing like repairs through osmosis 🤣 Maintenance through Magic ☠ Log entries on ice🐹

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
The dawn of a new age of aerial warfare
fpv.air-war.org
Your technological terror is insignificant next to the power of the "Force".....I'll admit the technology is impressive and I am glad that Master Airscrew has a customer for their cool props but it's not really flying in the pure sense. For these devices, no technology equals no flying. I prefer my aerodynamic force comes from the lifting reaction of airflow above and beneath a wing......not thrust vectoring.

Guess I'm getting too old.

Group Builder